Are online degrees worth the paper they are written on? Watch

bikerclaire
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think unless you've actually done an OU degree then how can you scoff at it? I am studying with the OU (Nat Sci hons.) on top of a full time job. This means that I need to be organised and take it very seriously. I was interested in my subject many years before starting my degree and had done a LOT of reading in my area too. I have my present job (+£70% of my last job) purely on the strength of my OU study. A lot of employers understand and appreciate the commitment it takes to complete a degree part-time. To 'Asexual demigod' - How can you say that just because I haven't had to pass an admission application that I am not as 'capable' as someone at a brick uni? BTW - I'm aiming for a first and hoping to go on to do a PhD at a brick uni.
EnolaGay
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JamesManc)
Any degree apart from Medicine is poitnless tbh. Only study Medicine.
Agree.. :cool:
JamesManc
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by EnolaGay)
Agree.. :cool:
Lol cool, I joke though, I don't think any degree is worth the paper they are written on.
parentlurker
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
anyone can start an open university degree but it takes hard work to finish one - harder work when you are probably holding down a job or bringing up a family than a student partying for 3 years.

When I was interviewing I had a lot of respect for OU degrees because they showed dedication and commitment. Many jobs dont require a specific degree, they require a mix of skills and abilities and gaining a degree is one way to show you have some of them when you have nothing else to show. People with OU degrees usually have a lot else to show and are preferable to a 21 year old who thinks they are wonderful because they got into a Russell Group university.

I might take someone with an OU degree in preference to an Oxbridge graduate, depends what type of post I was looking to fill.
EnolaGay
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Lol cool, I joke though, I don't think any degree is worth the paper they are written on.
No.. not really, Depends on the Uni and course.
JamesManc
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by EnolaGay)
No.. not really, Depends on the Uni and course.
No...it doesn't
EnolaGay
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No...it doesn't
I don't completely support the idea of online degree's but either ways i don't see how it affects employment at the end of the day when both certificates are the same. It really would depend on the Uni you're taking it with and the quality of the course/subject matter. IMO, considering an online BBA in marketing wouldn't be any different from a person who's attended Uni for the same thing, while the other had it taken online. Narrow's down to the certificate - with people I know at HR, they really don't care as long as it's recognized or accredited well. +point for an online would be the bonus of flexibility. It can be cheaper too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (534)
37.82%
No - but I will (110)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (96)
6.8%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (672)
47.59%

Watched Threads