Do Your Teachers Wear Gowns? Watch

Poll: Do/Did Your Teachers Wear Gowns?
Yes (6)
14.29%
No Never (21)
50%
Only Very Occasionally- i.e. Founder's Day or Prizegiving etc. (15)
35.71%
Sloe&AppleJelly
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't think my school could afford gowns. In the sixth form we had to fundraise to replace our own broken and worn chairs in the sixth form room (yes room, one room)! :/
Maid Marian
Badges: 20
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Chlorophile)
It's really not fantastic, I have absolutely no idea how anyone could think that. School's supposed to be a creative and open environment, not some miserable prison regimented by endless formalities.
What. Seriously. I loved it :love: Maybe because I did think it was a little like Hogwarts (sorry OP :blush:).

I would have hated to go to a 'normal' school.
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Bethaaaaany)
I totally agree! Formalities are ridiculous to be honest. What I find wrong is that schools are sat there forcing students of almost 19 to wear school uniforms and ban them from leaving the school building during the day. Surely they should be aiding transition to university by creating independence idk.
Sounds horrible. Very glad that I don't go to a silly school like that (i.e. a school that treats us like actual adults).
Bethaaaaany
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Chlorophile)
Sounds horrible. Very glad that I don't go to a silly school like that (i.e. a school that treats us like actual adults).
I'm counting down the days until I can leave mine, I almost wish I'd have gone to college instead! I can hardly believe it's the same school I've attended for five years previously.
PenguinEmperor
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes, in my sixth form the boys have different coloured badges on our blazers (and less maroon piping) and different ties to the girls. The girls can also wear a striped shirt instead of plain white. Also our skirts/cardigans are navy/red whereas the girls in the junior school wear grey/blue. It's all very confusing and old fashioned.

(Oh and I go to a selective grammar also but it's not like the grammar schools in England, it's like olden-days whoever passes the 11+ gets in sort of thing.)
Yep both of us are from Northern Ireland xD So no surprise your school is similar in its oddities.
scrotgrot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Maid Marian)
I don't think it's THAT unusual?!

At my school, ahem, we had an entrance exam. So if you worked hard, like I did, you got in :smug:

It's not private school.
Yes, I did think it was a private school. My grammar school was constantly and embarrassingly trying to present itself as a private school too, but wearing gowns and having a chapel is next-level ****...

Selective grammar schools favour middle-class children whose parents have been able to spend a lot of time with them reading books and buying educational stuff for them. Not to mention the private tutoring that is supposedly rife as practice for the 11+.

It's not as simple as "look at me I'm smart". How did you become smart? By parental investment. It was the same for me.
Bethaaaaany
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Penguinfarts)
Yep both of us are from Northern Ireland xD So no surprise your school is similar in its oddities.
Well THAT makes a lot of sense haha
Hello fellow N.Irish chum
Sloe&AppleJelly
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Lord Harold)
I feel like I need to get this off my chest without sounding as though I am trying to have a go at someone.
I go to a school where the teachers wear gowns, there is also a chapel, we have houses, founders day, a strange uniform system, quads, a dining room, the list goes on, but every time any of these things come up in conversation it is almost guaranteed that somebody will make a comment with some sort of reference to Hogwarts.
I know it isn't meant to be offensive or derogatory or anything like that, but you really don't understand how bloody annoying it is. If every time you spoke about your school somebody made an allusion to a fictional school for bloody magicians imagine how irritated you would be.
I don't go around telling people from comprehensive schools that they go to Waterloo Road or informing someone at a girls school that they must be at St Trinians. Please just don't do it.
Seriously, it is one the single most annoying things ever.
Hogwarts can just p**s right off!
Hello, I go to a rural comprehensive with about 400 pupils. Our school recently had to make a load of staff redundant due to lack of money, including the lady who used to council kids who were having trouble, so now if you're depressed or have problems at home there's no one to talk to. In sixth form we pay for and maintain our own sixth form room because the school can't afford it. Most computers are broken, the printers always have no ink, and basically the school is really struggling. Yet here you complain that your absolutely fantastic school is being compared to Hogwarts! Hogwarts is amazing! Shh yourself... it could be worse.
Maid Marian
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by scrotgrot)
Yes, I did think it was a private school. My grammar school was constantly and embarrassingly trying to present itself as a private school too, but wearing gowns and having a chapel is next-level ****...

Selective grammar schools favour middle-class children whose parents have been able to spend a lot of time with them reading books and buying educational stuff for them. Not to mention the private tutoring that is supposedly rife as practice for the 11+.

It's not as simple as "look at me I'm smart". How did you become smart? By parental investment. It was the same for me.
:confused: What's wrong with having a chapel? Chapels are great ^_^

Meh, not necessarily. I wouldn't describe myself as middle-class. Pretty working class actually :holmes:

Yeah, I'm not naturally smart, but a lot of people ARE.
scrotgrot
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I totally agree! Formalities are ridiculous to be honest. What I find wrong is that schools are sat there forcing students of almost 19 to wear school uniforms and ban them from leaving the school building during the day. Surely they should be aiding transition to university by creating independence idk.
Pathetic isn't it? Fifty years ago they'd have been out at work for five years by that age. If we're not careful we're going to end up like the Americans with their campus police. It's already going that way with universities investing in new halls and councils allowing them to build them so they can cut HMOs. I fear that students will be treated more and more like children in locked-down accommodation with cleaners etc and strict penalties for having parties. At my brother's uni they even give them oven cleaner, washing up liquid etc at the start of the year!!
seizetoday
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You're very lucky, I would kill to have Emma Watson go to my school
scrotgrot
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Maid Marian)
:confused: What's wrong with having a chapel? Chapels are great ^_^

Meh, not necessarily. I wouldn't describe myself as middle-class. Pretty working class actually :holmes:

Yeah, I'm not naturally smart, but a lot of people ARE.
All middle-class people say that. Bottom line is if your parents had the money to move to a grammar school district that marks you out as middle-class in itself. You seem to act/speak like a middle-class person too but not having any more information than that I wouldn't like to make a judgement.

Middle-class is a broad definition, really all it means is "not living pay-check to pay-check" and possibly "having opportunities for progression in your career". Mostly it's about values, because if you have a decent amount of money values are a luxury you can afford. So even a rather lowly family can muster up the cash to move to a place with good schools or whatever if they really want to. Other families might prefer to spunk their money on holidays or cars or whatever and let their kids take their chances at a comp.

Chapels are neither here nor there but you have to admit your school is really trying its hardest to be poncy if it has a chapel.

I think intelligence is mostly environmental though like anything else your genes do matter. Of course middle-class people with decent careers are likely to have some sort of intelligence so there is a genetic advantage too.
Maid Marian
Report 4 years ago
All middle-class people say that. Bottom line is if your parents had the money to move to a grammar school district that marks you out as middle-class in itself. You seem to act/speak like a middle-class person too but not having any more information than that I wouldn't like to make a judgement.

Middle-class is a broad definition, really all it means is "not living pay-check to pay-check" and possibly "having opportunities for progression in your career". Mostly it's about values, because if you have a decent amount of money values are a luxury you can afford. So even a rather lowly family can muster up the cash to move to a place with good schools or whatever if they really want to. Other families might prefer to spunk their money on holidays or cars or whatever and let their kids take their chances at a comp.

Chapels are neither here nor there but you have to admit your school is really trying its hardest to be poncy if it has a chapel.

I think intelligence is mostly environmental though like anything else your genes do matter. Of course middle-class people with decent careers are likely to have some sort of intelligence so there is a genetic advantage too.
What a load of hogwash. :indiff:

My parents can afford to live in a 'middle class district' because they were older when they met and so had already saved up a fair bit of money. Plus, my family is extremely tight and careful with money.
How does one speak/act like a middle class person? :curious:

Values? Values are nothing to do with how much money you have. A working class family can have good values and morals and work hard too.

That's very narrow-minded, my school is in an old building so was build hundreds of years ago I assume. Therefore it's not particularly odd to have a chapel. :indiff:
XxelliexX
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
People make allusions to a fictional school because the idea of a school such as yours is fantastical to many people and not part of the 'real world'. I don't really think you should be complaining, you're extremely privileged to be going to such a school that most people can only relate to by making fictional references.

I feel like I need to get this off my chest without sounding as though I am trying to have a go at someone.
I go to a school where the teachers wear gowns, there is also a chapel, we have houses, founders day, a strange uniform system, quads, a dining room, the list goes on, but every time any of these things come up in conversation it is almost guaranteed that somebody will make a comment with some sort of reference to Hogwarts.
I know it isn't meant to be offensive or derogatory or anything like that, but you really don't understand how bloody annoying it is. If every time you spoke about your school somebody made an allusion to a fictional school for bloody magicians imagine how irritated you would be.
I don't go around telling people from comprehensive schools that they go to Waterloo Road or informing someone at a girls school that they must be at St Trinians. Please just don't do it.
Le Nombre
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I had the same, but it's not that bad, there are worse things.

And obviously you just rip the comp kids for the fact their school's ****. Never mind Waterloo Rd, more like Borstal, that annoys them.
Maid Marian
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by XxelliexX)
People make allusions to a fictional school because the idea of a school such as yours is fantastical to many people and not part of the 'real world'. I don't really think you should be complaining, you're extremely privileged to be going to such a school that most people can only relate to by making fictional references.
I think some people are just jealous really. :erm:

Thought I know I'm really traditional and I loved going to a slightly old-fashioned school. :moon:
Le Nombre
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Pretty certain the idea anywhere with grammars is middle class is palpably untrue.

For a start there are superslectives like Henrietta Barnett and the Surrey grammars which don't even have catchments and therefore, by definition, cannot be exclusively limited to middle class areas.

Then there's the fact that grammars areas include the whole of the county of Kent, the entire city of Birmingham, Halifax, South Manchester, Lincolnshire, Walsall, Wolverhampton and large swathes of Essex, all of which feature some heavily deprived areas.

Grammars are middle class due to tutoring, not location.
tazarooni89
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Our teachers wore gowns for ceremonious occasions, but most of them wouldn't wear gowns for day to day teaching. I imagine they would be quite impractical in Science lessons involving fire and chemicals, Design & Technology lessons involving dangerous machinery, Art lessons involving paint or ink, P.E. lessons, any type of outdoor fieldwork etc.
Madmatician
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
At secondary school, my headteacher wore a gown during awards days/evenings

Not sure about my sixth form, probably just on founder's day, speech night and awards days/evenings
House MD
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
All teachers at my school have to wear their gowns as part of their daily 'uniform', and some even wear optional motarboards. I quite like tradition to be honest.

Stop complaining and get over it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (141)
38.42%
No - but I will (21)
5.72%
No - I don't want to (26)
7.08%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (179)
48.77%

Watched Threads