The Student Room Group

Who is the best footballer in history?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by mud4554r
However the big issue with Cruyff is that he never managed to win an international competition such as the world cup or the euros.

I feel that Messi has blown his chance to be the greatest after losing the world cup final. However he has time on his side unlike the slightly older C.Ronaldo.

I don't like that statement. I don't like it when people say you can't be the best ever player if you haven't won an international tournament, or more specifically the World Cup. Pele was around incredible players like Carlos Alberto, and the 1970 Brazil team is considered the best ever international team in the history of football (although I would say the Spain team of 2008-2012 is the best because I didn't get to watch the Brazil team).

It was hugely unfortunate for Argentina to have Aguero and Di Maria injured for the Final, I'm sure they would have made a difference to that Final because they are world-class players. Without them, their attacking flair was only based on Messi and Higuain, who missed a 1v1 chance in the Final. Alongside that, Argentina's midfield wasn't brilliant without Di Maria, and their defence wasn't the best (Mascherano was brilliant though). Germany deserved to win the 2014 World Cup, but I think it would have been a better game for the neutrals if Di Maria and Aguero were fit for the game.

Ronaldo is full of duds in the Portugal team. They can't defend for ****, and Ronaldo practically has to do everything himself to make Portugal win. It's not fair on him, it really isn't.

Look at Bale for example, say if he was scoring goals at the rate of Messi and Ronaldo...are you saying you wouldn't consider him as one of the best players in history because he hasn't won the World Cup? The Wales team is full of below average players apart from Ramsey and Bale. So you can't judge Bale's international pedigree when he's around Championship level players.
Reply 41
Original post by AnharM
I don't like that statement. I don't like it when people say you can't be the best ever player if you haven't won an international tournament, or more specifically the World Cup. Pele was around incredible players like Carlos Alberto, and the 1970 Brazil team is considered the best ever international team in the history of football (although I would say the Spain team of 2008-2012 is the best because I didn't get to watch the Brazil team).

It was hugely unfortunate for Argentina to have Aguero and Di Maria injured for the Final, I'm sure they would have made a difference to that Final because they are world-class players. Without them, their attacking flair was only based on Messi and Higuain, who missed a 1v1 chance in the Final. Alongside that, Argentina's midfield wasn't brilliant without Di Maria, and their defence wasn't the best (Mascherano was brilliant though). Germany deserved to win the 2014 World Cup, but I think it would have been a better game for the neutrals if Di Maria and Aguero were fit for the game.

Ronaldo is full of duds in the Portugal team. They can't defend for ****, and Ronaldo practically has to do everything himself to make Portugal win. It's not fair on him, it really isn't.

Look at Bale for example, say if he was scoring goals at the rate of Messi and Ronaldo...are you saying you wouldn't consider him as one of the best players in history because he hasn't won the World Cup? The Wales team is full of below average players apart from Ramsey and Bale. So you can't judge Bale's international pedigree when he's around Championship level players.

This is a very fair point. I actually don't believe in it either but I saw it as a discussion point! Personally I believe Messi is the greatest of all time due to his amazing amount of records and achievements. To your point about Bale, he could well become one of the best around and I think that will be reflected as soon as he becomes Wales' all time appearance maker and goalscorer!
I'm biased but it's got to be this guy (in my lifetime)

He was the ultimate player. Unselfish, quick, tall, strong, good with both feet, skillful, clinical finisher and above all consistently entertaining.

I've not seen Maradona or Pele play live, but Henry was the GOAT in the Premier League era imo.
Reply 43
Original post by angelfox
I'm biased but it's got to be this guy (in my lifetime)

He was the ultimate player. Unselfish, quick, tall, strong, good with both feet, skillful, clinical finisher and above all consistently entertaining.

I've not seen Maradona or Pele play live, but Henry was the GOAT in the Premier League era imo.

He was amazing and he comes into my all time premier league 11! There have been other premier league superstars though such as Bale, Ronaldo, Suarez, Bergkamp etc. Do you think he made a bigger impact on the league than all of them?
He was amazing and he comes into my all time premier league 11! There have been other premier league superstars though such as Bale, Ronaldo, Suarez, Bergkamp etc. Do you think he made a bigger impact on the league than all of them?

YES. He was here for his peak years unlike the first three. He scored 30+ goals for 5 seasons in a row. He scored the most insane goals. He was one of the main reasons we went unbeaten. In his entire career he won EVERYTHING there is to win for a professional players (World Cup, Euros, Champions League, Prem, La Liga, FA Cup, Copa Del Rey).

He was part of two of the best teams in the modern era (Arsenal 2001-05 and was part of the early Pep years (2008-2010).
Reply 45
Original post by angelfox
YES. He was here for his peak years unlike the first three. He scored 30+ goals for 5 seasons in a row. He scored the most insane goals. He was one of the main reasons we went unbeaten. In his entire career he won EVERYTHING there is to win for a professional players (World Cup, Euros, Champions League, Prem, La Liga, FA Cup, Copa Del Rey).

He was part of two of the best teams in the modern era (Arsenal 2001-05 and was part of the early Pep years (2008-2010).

This is a good case for Henry...
Jeff astle
This is a good case for Henry...

If you've got a spare 15 minutes watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ejI30Yx6UA
(edited 9 years ago)
Brazilian Ronaldo > Henry.

Ronaldo is the blueprint for all the top strikers of today.
Fabrice Muamba.
Can a mod move this thread to the football forum? It's attracting idiots.
Original post by Wilfred Little

I agree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree. Some of the responses on here are just troll-ish.
Reply 53
I personally think Messi is the greatest being a Messi and Barca fan. :biggrin:
I also do think this as he has achieved more than Maradona. :smile:
Reply 54
Original post by Julia A.
I personally think Messi is the greatest being a Messi and Barca fan. :biggrin:
I also do think this as he has achieved more than Maradona. :smile:

He has but it's a shame he hasn't won the world cup
He has but it's a shame he hasn't won the world cup

I am the biggest Messi fanboy going. That chance he had in the second half of normal time :frown:. I can't believe he missed.

Such fine margins in football.

2014 was his best chance. But it is not his last chance.
Would Fabrice Muamba not be one of them? He does have an autobiography, after all.
Reply 57
Has to be Ronaldo, he's always improving unlike almost any other player, who when peaks slowly slide down the pecking order. I do think Messi and Maradona ect are more talented but talent doesn't mean you're the best.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 58
I am the biggest Messi fanboy going. That chance he had in the second half of normal time :frown:. I can't believe he missed.

Such fine margins in football.

2014 was his best chance. But it is not his last chance.

I can't see him winning it! I'd love to be proven wrong though...
Original post by President Putin
Would Fabrice Muamba not be one of them? He does have an autobiography, after all.

Well he played for Bolton, Arsenal and Birmingham City, so no big clubs.

He should've proved himself in a different league. Maybe moved to Hearts?

Quick Reply

Latest