Would you date a transgender person? Poll Watch

Poll: Would you date a transgender person?
Yes (63)
27.04%
No (170)
72.96%
Kaiju
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
depends how convincing of a girl they are
Badshah
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hell no.
Jebedee
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by holocene)
Yep, and I think it's probably transphobic to rule it out.
I guess that must make me homophobic then, as I refuse to entertain the idea of having sex with a man?
Anonymous #2
Report 4 years ago
OK, people -- This guy is trans. He seems really nice and is very cute. If you fancy chaps, would you want to go out with him? Would your mind change knowing he used to be female?

https://www.upworthy.com/a-modern-lo...mom?c=hpstream
Mankytoes
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Seventeen)
No one is claiming they disrespect them, its just we would rather not have a sexual relationship with them. Also no matter how you view it they are either a male or a female from birth and can not change it. If they have XX chromosome = Female. XY= Male. Society does not have the power to change this basic concept. They should be referred to as a female or a male in a male female physique instead.
Or it's just basic manners to refer to someone how they want to be referred to? If someone said to me "my real name is Paul, but I like to be called Bob", I wouldn't say "No! You're Paul! It's your real name! It's on your birth certificate! I'm calling you Paul!".

You know it's really important to them to be referred to as the gender they identify with, but because you refuse to accept or understand basic arguments about sex and gender, you won't call them that? How selfish are you?
superwolf
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hell yeah! :awesome: I like my sexual partners open-minded, to the extent that if I found out that a particular person wouldn't date a transgender person because of who they were I would tell said person to go **** themselves, cos I certainly wouldn't.
kopi, ffs
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes.

If you fall in love with someone and they love you too, then awesome. If we wanted to have kids, then we would figure something out, same as you would with a cis person if you ran into fertility problems and suchlike. There are so many more unsolvable things to angst over in life.
cole-slaw
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JC.)
No, I'm not homosexual.

These people can call themselves what they like, but playing dress up and mutilating yourself doesn't change your gender. That's something that is fixed.
Replace "gender" with "sex" and you're entirely correct. But its important to get the terminology correct here. Gender is something different.
Kabloomybuzz
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by joker12345)
*sigh*, yes, I can hear myself. Try addressing what I said instead of getting personal/defensive. Both situations are someone being unhappy with their body. Why, in one scenario, do we suggest therapy and in the other we suggest surgery? In general, if someone is unhappy with their body we preach body acceptance - love the skin you're in, everyone is beautiful etc. I simply don't see why we deviate from that here.
Actually, trans people have to go through an awful lot of surgery and at least 2 years living full time in their gender identity before they're even considered to be eligible for surgery.
cole-slaw
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am a gynophile, so I would be uncomfortable dating someone who was sexually male, the fact they've chopped their knob off and started wearing eyeliner is not going to change that.

But equally, I don't think I would feel particularly comfortable dating a female who didn't want to be a female and had her fanny sewn up and a sausage stitched on instead.

So, no.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 years ago
I sincerely doubt anyone who's transgender would want to date anyone who doesn't want to date them for being who they are, so all the better for them! Just like anyone else, they deserve to be with people who want to be with them.
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Well you're an ignorant one aren't you?
Not really,

If someone wants to mutilate their genitalia that's their prerogative.
Although, if you take a biopsy of the same person and put them under a microscope they will still be identifiable as exactly what they were born as.

Gender is genetic.

I could cut a thumb and a finger off each hand and *call* myself a 3 toed sloth, but it wouldn't be true.
holocene
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jebedee)
I guess that must make me homophobic then, as I refuse to entertain the idea of having sex with a man?
Doesn't really work as a logical equivalent. A better analogy would be someone who ruled out entirely dating someone with mixed racial heritage (making them racist).
rockrunride
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I generally analyse dating potential on an entirely discrete basis, so yes.
JamesManc
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do they have a functioning fanny?
Jebedee
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by holocene)
Doesn't really work as a logical equivalent. A better analogy would be someone who ruled out entirely dating someone with mixed racial heritage (making them racist).
Why doesn't it work? Too inconvenient?
emilyb96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Personally, I would say yes and probably.

Because, clearly, if you aren't homosexual, you aren't likely to want to date someone of the same gender as yourself. Therefore the reason you don't want to date them is not their sexuality, but your attraction to them. Which isn't homophobia.

However, if you find a transperson attractive, then decide not to date them because they are trans then, from my perspective, that is transphobia; you do not want to date someone because of their sexuality, rather than your attraction to them.
holocene
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It doesn't work because homosexuality and heterosexuality are sexualities and identities. Not wanting to date trans people is not a sexuality.

Additionally, gender, while not essential, is a big divider in our society, and defines and shapes our identities quite distinctively. Whether you're trans or not does not do this.

Your gender/s are huge parts of your identity, and shape how you move along in the world. Being trans is not necessarily part of someone's identity - it's a part of your medical history.

I might as well say "I would never date a black person, even if they didn't look black, even if I was attracted to them on first sight and then found out they had black heritage, but that's not racist, because gay guys only date men".
holocene
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by emilyb96)
Personally, I would say yes and probably.

Because, clearly, if you aren't homosexual, you aren't likely to want to date someone of the same gender as yourself. Therefore the reason you don't want to date them is not their sexuality, but your attraction to them. Which isn't homophobia.

However, if you find a transperson attractive, then decide not to date them because they are trans then, from my perspective, that is transphobia; you do not want to date someone because of their sexuality, rather than your attraction to them.
Yep - also this
young_guns
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by vickidc18)
Just a poll

Would you/could you date a transgender person?
Are you transphobic if you don't want to date a transgender person?
No way. I'm a gay guy, which means I like guys. I have no interest in a guy who is dressing up as a girl, or a girl who is being a guy.

This is not offensive to trans people, it's a personal preference
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (249)
38.97%
No - but I will (44)
6.89%
No - I don't want to (47)
7.36%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (299)
46.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed