Opinions on southampton solent university - help!!! Watch

username1638485
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Miarae97)
I'm in the same position!! I've read loads of crap things about solent, people saying it's not a 'real uni' but the few people I've spoken to that go there love it. I really love the look of it online and Southampton town itself looks really good as well. I can't just go by the internet though, I'm going to an open day on the 29th of November I'm hoping I love it when I visit. I went to visit chichester uni and before visiting I was so sure that I would love it and that it would be my first choice but I was so let down by how small and boring it seemed... hoping solent isn't the same!!
Good luck with the open day. Personally, I see it as a small university, but a university nonetheless! What are you looking to study?
Miarae97
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tiff182)
Good luck with the open day. Personally, I see it as a small university, but a university nonetheless! What are you looking to study?
Chichester was really small too. Fine art 😊
Miarae97
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Went to the open day. Loved it!
username1638485
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Went to the open day. Loved it!
Glad you loved it too! I went and found that although it isn't as high on the ranked table as others, it really feels like the place for me! Perhaps I'll see you there next year. Good luck with everything!
SinicalDev
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm a first year Solent student. Please take the league tables as pinch of salt. They don't mean s**t. For instance, I'm on Software Engineering, solent is like 109 overall rated, but for my course it's around 60ish. The other uni's I applied for were higher over all but actually lower for the course I'm doing.

Mind you I did an apprenticeship and still got accepted at the age of 18, so these so called entry requirements don't mean much, I applied to Sheffield Hallam, Hull, Portsmouth and Solent twice and got unconditional offers from all the universities.

Also a couple of my tutors are tutors for both Solent and Uni of Southampton, so they're top level lecturers. Other tutors actually work in the industry, for instance my Database tutor is the head of IT infrastructure for the uni.

Solent focuses a lot on employability too, there's no point going to uni and not being job ready. Solent will make sure you gain the skills required to have a killer CV and get your interviewing down. Also don't bother worrying about not being a 'party' head, but Solent has one of the best fresher events in the UK so definitely get involved!!

P.S Lucia Foster Welch shows as far away from the uni, but actually its like a 10 minute walk as there's a bridge you can cut across. Also don't go into Deanery, that's where all the football studies and hair and makeup kids are
Samdynamou
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jesse-May)
Yer I'm hoping too, although I'm 21 and will be 22 when I go so will be with people younger than me but I'll definitely apply to halls as my first option as wouldn't have a clue on where to live in Southampton

Have you looked at any of the accommodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm in the same boat I turn 21 in September so it's nice to see I'm not alone in being 20+ and first year in halls

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jesse-May
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Samdynamou)
I'm in the same boat I turn 21 in September so it's nice to see I'm not alone in being 20+ and first year in halls

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's definitely good to see another one slightly older than the ones just out of school applying.

Which course are you looking at?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Samdynamou
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's definitely good to see another one slightly older than the ones just out of school applying.

Which course are you looking at?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Film production, yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jesse-May
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Film production, yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Business management you planning on staying in halls?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Samdynamou
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Business management you planning on staying in halls?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am indeed I think I'd miss out on a lot if I didn't

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jesse-May
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am indeed I think I'd miss out on a lot if I didn't

Posted from TSR Mobile
Same, have you been to look at halls?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Samdynamou
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Same, have you been to look at halls?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not yet, I'm going to have a look at them when I go for my interview in January. Have you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jesse-May
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not yet, I'm going to have a look at them when I go for my interview in January. Have you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I saw the rooms in Lucia foster when I was there in September seemed reasonable, basic but a good size. Didn't get to see ensuite, if you do get a chance to see ensuite when you go let me know if it is any good

Posted from TSR Mobile
Samdynamou
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I saw the rooms in Lucia foster when I was there in September seemed reasonable, basic but a good size. Didn't get to see ensuite, if you do get a chance to see ensuite when you go let me know if it is any good

Posted from TSR Mobile
I will do as I want to stay in one

Posted from TSR Mobile
Samdynamou
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
I will do as I want to stay in one

Posted from TSR Mobile
SinicalDev
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You don't get an ensuite option in Lucia Foster, but you get 3 showers/toilets which all get cleaned monday to friday and I'm in a flat of 10 people and we never have to wait to get in the shower and everyone is relatively clean. The girls toilet usually gets left in a worse state than us guys' toilet is, something to do with...err certain female problems which aren't cleaned up by someone. But that's probably isolated to our flat
Samdynamou
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SinicalDev)
You don't get an ensuite option in Lucia Foster, but you get 3 showers/toilets which all get cleaned monday to friday and I'm in a flat of 10 people and we never have to wait to get in the shower and everyone is relatively clean. The girls toilet usually gets left in a worse state than us guys' toilet is, something to do with...err certain female problems which aren't cleaned up by someone. But that's probably isolated to our flat
Is it a lively halls to live in? And that's cool then

Posted from TSR Mobile
Miarae97
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I had my interview for art today and got my offer there and then! I am so happy and excited!!!
Samdynamou
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I had my interview for art today and got my offer there and then! I am so happy and excited!!!
Did you get to see the facilities at the same time as your interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Miarae97
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Did you get to see the facilities at the same time as your interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah after the interview you get the chance to Be taken round the building see the facilities and they explain the course content etc if you want to, if you didn't get to see it on any open days like me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 29 Apr '19
  • Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 20 May '19
  • Solent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 8 Jun '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (291)
37.55%
No - but I will (55)
7.1%
No - I don't want to (56)
7.23%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (373)
48.13%

Watched Threads