The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Romula
Don't worry! Same here 😊 I don't know much about Oxford- I'm a Cambridge person myself- but I think having Maths A level, which I think you have to do anyway if you do maths because the A level courses are going linear, would create a more than strong enough application. And the reason the IB has that rep is because you only have to do 3 A levels, and if you do 4 or 5 you can (could) drop one or two at AS; but with the IB you have to do 6, and more often than not there's one that you only take because you have to (English for me), but you have to work at anyway. The IB is for all-rounders. Look, you can't get through either A Levels or IB if you prioritise your social life, and the people who complain are usually the ones who have only just realised that 😊

I would definitely do full A Level Maths if I did A Level, but if I did IB I might do SL which would simply be equivalent to AS Maths. Yeah I guess, the subject I'd probably be objecting to is Spanish- even though I really like it the lessons have just become really boring, so maybe they'll get more exciting in IB! I definitely will not be prioritising my social life :P I just am conscious that as well as great grades at my new sixth form, I want to enjoy myself :smile: get the full sixth-form experience... however you're right, this could be a false stereotype, so I think I'll talk to some people who have gone through IB to see how they coped. :smile:
Reply 41
Original post by Nomes24
I would definitely do full A Level Maths if I did A Level, but if I did IB I might do SL which would simply be equivalent to AS Maths. Yeah I guess, the subject I'd probably be objecting to is Spanish- even though I really like it the lessons have just become really boring, so maybe they'll get more exciting in IB! I definitely will not be prioritising my social life :P I just am conscious that as well as great grades at my new sixth form, I want to enjoy myself :smile: get the full sixth-form experience... however you're right, this could be a false stereotype, so I think I'll talk to some people who have gone through IB to see how they coped. :smile:

I have one thing to say. Standard level maths (non studies) is the equivalent of A LEVEL MATHS not AS! The head of maths department at my school used to be an a level maths teacher, she told me that SL is the equivalent of a level maths. Uk universities don't understand IB and therefore consider standard level maths to be the equivalent of AS when in fact it's not. And higher level maths is the equivalent of a level further maths. This just really irritates me. /end rant/
Reply 42
Original post by Nomes24

Totally agree with pbunny above, and Oxford wants AS for "evidence of sufficient mathematical ability", and SL is more than enough for that. And Spanish SL is much more thorough and far less box-ticky than GCSE, so they say. Yes, talk to IB people- I know plenty of people who do it and love it. 😁
Well i wouldn't say that i love ib at the moment... My social life really is close to inexistent, but cas prevents it from disappearing! :P :biggrin: and you will never suffer alone! :wink: i can safely say that i don't regret doing the ib! It is a lot of work, but strangely enough it somehow changed us, not only as a class, also as individuals. If you are okay with doing six subjects, i would definitely recommend you doing it! :smile:
Reply 44
HL: Computer Science, Geography & Biology.
SL: Maths, English & French.

Hoping to study accounting and finance at university! :smile:
Reply 45
HL: Physics, Chemistry and Geography
SL: English Literature A1, Arabic B and Maths (not mathematical studies)

Hoping to study Computer Science at university :smile: Got two UCAS conditional offers from University of Glasgow and Queen Mary, University of London :cool:
HL maths economics history
SL english lit, mandarin, biology :smile:
Hoping for Economics/ Maths+Econ/ PPE at Oxford
Maybe law?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Choices have drastically changed since last posted here xD

HL: English, History, Physics
SL: Spanish, Political Thought, Maths Studies

Is it okay to do Physics with maths studies? My maths ability is solid- I get nearly 100% at GCSE. But I want to get a good grade in studies (rather than mediocre SL/HL Maths) and not have loads of work, and according to the teachers at the sixth form I'll be joining, SL Maths is as much work as a HL. They said to do studies if my immediate career plans didn't require maths, so I think I will do it. However just wondering if Physics without SL or HL maths is hard, or okay if my actual mathematical ability is good?

Degree: History or Law

Thank you :biggrin:
Original post by goldenshades
HL: Bio, Chem, Eng
SL: Philosophy, French, Maths Studies

Hoping to studying dentistry :smile:

Is chemistry challenging with only maths studies or fine? I want to do HL Phys with maths studies, and chemistry also involves a lot of maths from my basic gcse knowledge of it xD thanks, your reply would really help!

Good luck with dentistry btw :smile:
Reply 49
HL: Biology, Chemistry, Economics
SL: Maths, French Ab Initio, English Literature

Medicine. :biggrin:
Reply 50
HL: English Literature, Visual Arts, History
SL: Physics, Maths, Spanish B

Architecture. Taking Visual Arts, Physics and History certainly helped!
Reply 51
HL: Mathematics, Physics, English B
SL:
Economics, French ab initio, Polish A

And I'm going for Physics with Astrophysics (if successful for my 1st choice - Bath, it'll be with placements)
Reply 52
Original post by Nomes24
Choices have drastically changed since last posted here xD

HL: English, History, Physics
SL: Spanish, Political Thought, Maths Studies

Is it okay to do Physics with maths studies? My maths ability is solid- I get nearly 100% at GCSE. But I want to get a good grade in studies (rather than mediocre SL/HL Maths) and not have loads of work, and according to the teachers at the sixth form I'll be joining, SL Maths is as much work as a HL. They said to do studies if my immediate career plans didn't require maths, so I think I will do it. However just wondering if Physics without SL or HL maths is hard, or okay if my actual mathematical ability is good?

Degree: History or Law

Thank you :biggrin:

SL Maths is definitely not as much work as HL, if you got nearly 100% at GCSE, SL Maths will be a breeze for you. Many universities also look down on Math Studies and a majority of IB students take Math SL so you will probably be at a disadvantage if you decide to take studies.
HL: English Literature, History, Visual Arts
SL: Chemistry, Maths, French B

Between law or English at university - really can't decide between the two!
I'm doing:
HL- Biology, Psychology, English Lit
SL- Chemistry, Math Studies, French IB

And I am hoping to do Occupational Therapy!
Reply 55
HL: history, geography, biology
SL: English lit, French an, maths studies

Either law or geology
Original post by gehe31
hl: History, geography, biology
sl: English lit, french an, maths studies

either law or geology

can you help me with hl bio!!?
HL: English A Lit, Physics, Business Management
SL: Math, Dutch B, History

Going to pursue International Business at Uni
HL: Biology, English Lang Lit, and Danish
SL: ESS, History and Math Studies

I got two offers (so far) at uni's for studying Psychology, in Scotland :biggrin:
HL: Biology, Chemistry, Maths, German B
SL: Geography, English A

Hopefully studying medicine for undergrad.

Latest

Trending

Trending