Turn on thread page Beta

My 'friend' wants me to do badly at A levels... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Haha that person ain't your friend, ignore her and make new friends who can actually help you, not drag you down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I know. What do you suggest I do?
    1. Deal with it till end of year 13.
    2. Make new friends and drift away from her- even though she has no one else.
    :yes: I agree
    I've had very very similar problems with a girl I've been 'friends with since Year 8 (I didn't know her in primary though). I msut have done better than she wanted me to (and better than she did). To this day I don't even know exactly how she did. She was awful though. People have a really funny way of showing jealousy! My 'friend' went as far as turning my other friends against me by lying to them and starting rumors :mad: . Then again they can't have been great friends, if they believed the rubbish she said..... :getmecoat: .

To avoid the outcome I had. Slowly, :creep: become less available to her. But never be mean or cold to her. Even though it may be hard.
    You may have to become a 'closet reviser'. Be really vague about how much work you actually do. This should stifle any competition
    she thinks she's having with you :battle: .

good luck!

Any more help?
    I think it's less about you doing badly and more about her being better than you. Clearly she's insecure. Be her friend, try not to be too open around her i.e. discuss your home/coursework and work hard! Revise on your own!

ReputationRep:
    You don't need people like that in your life. They don't care about you and just want the best for themselves. She will just try and use you if she thinks you will do better than her and people like that will bring you down. They are not worth it.

In all honestly, this sounds ridiculously childish. You're in year 12 and you're studying A Levels. Surely you have a decent level of intelligence and should be able to deduce yourself that this isn't a friendship. The whole past paper issue sounds awfully year 8 and a little petty. I think going in separate directions and concentrating on your own studies would be the best way forward.

(Original post by eilish1903)
    I say you make friends with some guys. Guys are easier to be friends with. But maybe you should actually talk to her about it?..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Can't really talk about personal feminine stuff with guys, but I get what you mean.

She will get annoyed lol.

In all honestly, this sounds ridiculously childish. You're in year 12 and you're studying A Levels. Surely you have a decent level of intelligence and should be able to deduce yourself that this isn't a friendship. The whole past paper issue sounds awfully year 8 and a little petty. I think going in separate directions and concentrating on your own studies would be the best way forward.
    The thing is, its her being childish... NOT ME! I realise that this is not a friendship, however, I have no one else to sit with at lunch.

So what do you suggest? I sit alone at lunch or make excuses to do hw?

(Original post by Me-llamo-naomi)
    :yes: I agree
    I've had very very similar problems with a girl I've been 'friends with since Year 8 (I didn't know her in primary though). I msut have done better than she wanted me to (and better than she did). To this day I don't even know exactly how she did. She was awful though. People have a really funny way of showing jealousy! My 'friend' went as far as turning my other friends against me by lying to them and starting rumors :mad: . Then again they can't have been great friends, if they believed the rubbish she said..... :getmecoat: .

To avoid the outcome I had. Slowly, :creep: become less available to her. But never be mean or cold to her. Even though it may be hard.
    You may have to become a 'closet reviser'. Be really vague about how much work you actually do. This should stifle any competition
    she thinks she's having with you :battle: .

good luck!
    Sorry about your friend!
    I would never be mean. I'm gonna make sure I don't give her help, text her etc, shes obviously using me.
    And yeah, I'm just going to say I don't revise much so she will not bother me a lot

(Original post by SomeStudent)
    I think it's less about you doing badly and more about her being better than you. Clearly she's insecure. Be her friend, try not to be too open around her i.e. discuss your home/coursework and work hard! Revise on your own!
    Thanks! Good advice, I won't help her with school work

ReputationRep:
    Somehow I knew it would be a girl.

(Original post by MancBoy)
    Somehow I knew it would be a girl.
    Haha, why?

ReputationRep:
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others

Update:

I was quite blunt today at lunch. She talked about revision at some point, then I'm a celeb :L but I didn't say much.

... its so hard to ignore her, sometimes shes nice and I don't know what to do?! How can I be nice to someone that wants me to fail at school

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 12, I've known this girl since primary but we became better friends in year 8 and we used to hang out with some other girls. The other girls go to different sixth forms.

I have no other friends in year 12 so I just eat and sit with her at lunch. We are not close and do not talk much about personal stuff. I also find then whenever she texts me its about homework helps, its never 'how are you', its just 'whats the chemistry hw x' lol? Also, your probably wondering why I don't text her friendly stuff... well on her birthday I sent her a text saying ''Happy birthday!xxx' but she didn't reply? Also, on my birthday she did not even send me a message... not sure how to feel about this. My b-day was on a saturday but tbh she did give me a gift and say happy birthday on the following monday (probably because i gave her a present).

Anyway, the reason why I think she wants me to do badly at A levels is because
    -She got better GCSE grades than me- however, on results day she told me she got Bs/A's in some subjects but now she's saying she got C's/B's ... so she lies about her results to seem smarter than me.
    Anyway, now that I am doing better at A level than her she seems threatened because...
    -She always asks me how many revision notes I've done.
    -I was studying at lunch once and she was about to do homework, she realised she left it at home and tried to get me to stop studying

THIS IS THE WORST REASON: A few weeks ago she said shes not going to do exam papers till a few weeks to the exam and theres no point and I shouldn't bother as I will run out of papers to do. I literally saw her doing some exam papers in the library last week!!!!!!!!! she knows they are the best for revision, so she tries to get me not to do them!!!

Any advice? Should I stay friends? What should I do when she texts me for homework help?
    A very very similar thing happened to me earlier this year! I'll tell you exactly what my situation was:
    Throughout my school life I'd been friends with a girl, we are generally equally intelligent except at alevels she took all sciences and I took all arts. People always had a thing about which one of us was more intelligent/a better person etc because we were so close. This girl was and is the 'ringleader' of my old group of friends, she puts everyone around her down and I now see this is to make herself feel better.

Anyways on results day we got our results and I got AAAA whilst she got AAAC. She was happy for me and I for her but despite the fact we were so close she made clear the fact that I had done better irked her. Recently I got an interview at Cambridge and she did not even through we both applied. This of course led to an increase in tensions and resultantly a massive argument. She turned my entire group of friends against me, they all started to make up vivacious rumours about me and it hurt a lot at the time. I've had to make a whole new group of friends because of this debacle!

My advise to you would be to cut her off. You say that she drains you and this is exactly how this girl used to make me feel! The key to being happy and successful Is to have a good group of friends and if she is making you feel down then there's no need to even concern yourself over her friendship because she's dragging you down!

After I split off from her negativity I was able to become much happier and more content person (not just regarding college and study but also more confident within myself). Focus on your exams, go to an awesome uni and when you look back you'll realise that she wasn't worth your time at all!

Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 1, 2014
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.