Turn on thread page Beta

Should white people pay black people money for unpaid work from slavery? watch

ReputationRep:
    Are we just talking about America here? Yeah, maybe if blacks pay reparations for all the crime and murder they have inflicted on whites since say the 60's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felamaslen)
    The graph is from Wikipedia, but obviously the data is sourced elsewhere. Here is a link to the page with the image, which also includes the original data source, if you want to check: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...00_to_2003.png.

We're getting somewhere here, I think. My point is that we shouldn't be transferring wealth from people simply because of their race. You would end up transferring wealth from white peasants in Romania to black millionaire rappers in New York. What is the sense in that?

You don't understand that it wasn't just white people who profiteered from the crime of slavery. It was also black people (and Arab people of course, who had the largest slave trade of all). Even if it was just white people, it wouldn't make any sense to consider white people and black people as separate groups nowadays, since regardless of our race we are all simply individual human beings trying to make our way in the world.

I don't care what race people are; you do. I was just pointing out that the first people to end slavery were British, and happened to be white. But that was just a side note.

No I understand what you're saying however I don't see what's wrong with a rich black person profiting from black reparations. His wealth doesn't make him white which is the point I was trying to make when I mentioned that wealth is not synonymous with white people.

You need to stop thinking at the singular level and think about wholes and generally, that is, white people benefited more from slavery than black people did. Now that white people are so moral and ethical and advanced they should pay us black people back some money as an apology for the horrors that our ancestors faced which still plagues the continent.

ReputationRep:
    My god I am a creative soul I went away came back and this topic went platinum.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zimbo97)
    Actually quite a few Caribbean's and African Americans say they want reparations for the millions of unpaid hours. It's quite a big issue in race relations in the US.

The logic is that a century of slavery has disadvantaged black people to the extent that it accounts for the disparity between whites and blacks on every single available indicator of well being today. To address this imbalance some claim a lump sum should be paid to black Americans, who are nearly all descendants of slaves.

A conservative estimate for the amount is around $2.5 trillion

In 1988 the US government paid out reparations to all the Japanese-Americans they wrongly detained in the Second World War, of course many had died by this point so the money went to their sons and daughters.
    Could the same rational be applied to slavery? With the money going to the descendants of the victims?
    I suppose the problem really is where to draw the line. There are so many past wrongs against different groups of people that it would effectively mean we would all do nothing but pass money around between all those who have been wronged. Arguably the world might be a better place if, for example, colonial Europe passed a large chunk of its wealth back to Africa and Asia and the native peoples of the Americas, but it's not likely to happen. Sadly, this is an example of might beating right.

The best realistically we can hope for is that preference is given to the descendants of the oppressed - for example, black people in the US are given some preferential access to educational opportunities - but probably we could go further than that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by perfectsymbology)
    Are we just talking about America here? Yeah, maybe if blacks pay reparations for all the crime and murder they have inflicted on whites since say the 60's.
    That is such a racist way of defining the pattern of violence in America, which is overwhelmingly directed against black people, not least from the white authorities. Black people are vastly more likely to die of homicide in the US than white people - yes, those killings are often perpetrated by other black people - but criminality follows poverty like flies on dung so it isn't difficult to understand why. Black people remain incredibly marginalised in the US (and the UK) with high joblessness, child poverty, ill health and bad educational facilities.

ReputationRep:
    Forget about slavery in the past, slavery is still going on today in many third world countries. We should make sure to end modern day slavery

ReputationRep:
    I'm black and even I find this silly. I doubt that this generation of white people were around at the time of the slave trade. Plus, they are more forward in their attitudes towards slavery, so they have no reason to give their hard-earned money to black people who's grandparents probably weren't even alive at that time - I know mine weren't.

ReputationRep:
    Do you accept the Lashes currency?

ReputationRep:
    You would need to introduce a slave owner ancestry test that goes back to 1700's if you were to implement any 'fair' form of reparations. That also sounds a lot like the aryan ancestry test the nazis subjected people to in the 1930's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cormac Easton)
    No I understand what you're saying however I don't see what's wrong with a rich black person profiting from black reparations. His wealth doesn't make him white which is the point I was trying to make when I mentioned that wealth is not synonymous with white people.

You need to stop thinking at the singular level and think about wholes and generally, that is, white people benefited more from slavery than black people did. Now that white people are so moral and ethical and advanced they should pay us black people back some money as an apology for the horrors that our ancestors faced which still plagues the continent.
    Even though some white people suffered slavery and some black people profiteered from it.

You make no sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrMango)
    I feel I'm due around 10 million for unpaid hours of work and poor treatment of my ansestors as compensation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    pretty sure muslim did at least as many slaves in africa .. so why only whites ?

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony...%28colonist%29

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felamaslen)
    Even though some white people suffered slavery and some black people profiteered from it.

You make no sense.

I make no sense because I'm black. Okay

ReputationRep:
    Ohh boo hoo.Get over it- Muslims were capturing and enslaving European Christians for centuries. Yet we don't complain about it. Black people have owned White slaves historically too (albeit at a smaller scale). We don't complain about that either.

Just move on with your live and strive to make things better instead of clinging to the past, we don't owe you anything...

ReputationRep:
    That's not what I said.

ReputationRep:
    Where did we say that? I bet you're actually this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uTP1fdFu0c

ReputationRep:
    Maybe the idiots who destroyed people's businesses and livelihoods over the Ferguson thing should personally pay to repair them.

ReputationRep:
    Trying to make a joke about the discrimination that black people still face is rather bigoted on your part.
    Lots of people face discrimination. When black people do, it's nothing to do with slavery, just idiocy.

ReputationRep:
    Well if that is the case I demand that Norwegians, Italians and Moroccans pay back money for enslaving my Celtic and Germanic ancestors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrMango)
    I feel I'm due around 10 million for unpaid hours of work and poor treatment of my ansestors as compensation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Found this on a US site pbs.org.
    The word "slave" in fact comes from "Slav": prisoners of Slavonic tribes captured by Germans and sold to Arabs during the Middle Ages.
    So you might try asking the Arabs for your loot.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.