• TSR Community Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Viceroy)
    I'm honestly starting to get superbly tired of this forum ...
    How come?

(Original post by Infan2a)
    The point of the OP was that things they/we deem ok with are being warned so it's not like people are intentionally being horrible to each other.

My first thread back on TSR has just been taken down as it 'could cause offence' - I linked a video that might have been a little unsuitable but even then a mod could have just edited my post rather than immediately go for a card, I don't feel like making another similar thread for a decent convo with people as it might 'offend' someone :sad:
    Hmm - can you PM the video you posted? (as long as it isn't actually genuinely dodgy and NSFW!!! :lol: ) I'm definitely more for in post chat than Reminders but that isn't always practical and Reminders are only that. Too often members read too much into a "Reminder". It isn't a warning.

(Original post by Ggmu!)
    I will say the threshold for offensive news is far, far too low. You can't express a negative opinion about a group of people without getting carded if seems.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Can you give any examples?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Jack)
    How come?
    I am sick of getting berated for responding to the many crassly sexist/male-supremacist posts and threads with my support of equal rights/women's rights. I am constantly bullied when I write anything that seems 'feminist' to anyone. Obviously, everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I am sick of getting ganged up on anytime this topic comes up. And I am sick of seeing so many threads/posts thrashing racial, ethnic, and religious minorities, LGBT people, and women.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    Some cards are deserved, most aren't.

Agreed.
    I once got a card on here for something completely unrelated to TSR. :sadnod: This was also marked as "offensiveness". So what actually counts as "offensiveness"?

It is being used as just a broad summary of things to card people for if it doesn't fit into another category?

Some of my cards were deserved, one wasn't, and none of them got overturned when I went to AAM.

I personally do think a reform on the Community Guidelines (i.e. what exactly can you or can't you do?) is a good solution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spotify95)
    I once got a card on here for something completely unrelated to TSR. :sadnod: This was also marked as "offensiveness". So what actually counts as "offensiveness"?

It is being used as just a broad summary of things to card people for if it doesn't fit into another category?

Some of my cards were deserved, one wasn't, and none of them got overturned when I went to AAM.

I personally do think a reform on the Community Guidelines (i.e. what exactly can you or can't you do?) is a good solution.
    AAM is another area. I get that a few people get lippy and unfairly abuse the mods, but I feel a lot of the time, and from what others have said, mods just say "nope, not changing it, sorry", and often their hands are tied by the silly rules on offensiveness as much as we are.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    AAM is another area. I get that a few people get lippy and unfairly abuse the mods, but I feel a lot of the time, and from what others have said, mods just say "nope, not changing it, sorry", and often their hands are tied by the silly rules on offensiveness as much as we are.
    They do give you an explanation, which I am happy about (a lot better than the Digital Spy forums!) but what I have highlighted applied to me too. The post that I was warned for wasn't even on TSR... and it was 6 months old too! :mad:

To warn me on a 6 month old post from another forum is ridiculous and unfair. If the post had actually broken a rule the mods from the other forum would have resolved it :yep:

Anyway, back on topic, let's hope that definitive guidelines are set out soon, on what is, and what isn't, "offensiveness".

ReputationRep:
    I don't really think reforms are needed really. The only issue is with the lack of moderators they have at the moment. In most if not all instances they rely on checking moderator reports.

ReputationRep:
    I recently got a card for saying that a female user seemed to be overprotective which would be unfortunate for her future child. How is that an offensive insult is beyond my understanding… :confused:

Yes, I think that TSR's rules on offensiveness should be reformed. If the persons in charge insist on running an online kindergarten, I can't do much about it, but let's at least outline the boundaries and use common sense (pragmatically speaking, that means you should not be giving mod powers to people with an inferiority complex, which is difficult, because the ones who spend enough time on an internet forum to moderate it usually fall into that category and the one's who don't are not interested or unable to allocate the required amount of energy to the job).

I don't even try to argue in AAM any more. It's pointless and just creates unnecessary hassle for both sides.

(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    cc (Especially the first paragraph.)
    cc (Especially the first paragraph.)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's pathetic and stupid on some of the cards ive received.

ReputationRep:
    This is an interesting thread. I actually do still think TSR's rules can be too strict / tough and treats our members as too young. Mollycoddling a bit too much. I mean, when I was 14 I was already thinking like an adult and there wasn't anything 'life wise' I didn't really know by that age.

So it would be good to see people suggestions for examples of what would and wouldn't be acceptable, that's the only way we can really review them, is to take the community's lead.
    We've been saying it for years. OP is absolutely spot on.

Evening is right as well, saying 'well don't be dicks and you'll be OK' does not work when there isn't a clear cut definition of being a ****. That's like, the whole reason this thread got posted ffs.

ReputationRep:
    I've had a couple overturned by mods. but you've no chance of getting anything overturned if there's even a tiny debate to be had. The only reason mine were was cos I get on with one of the mods and the other was for carding me for something posted in chat but then the thread got moved to a different forum so they carded me for spamming after seeing my post in that forum. .

Before you know it you've got a TSR criminal record longer than your arm which is used to justify further petty cards and bans.

The point of the OP was that things they/we deem ok with are being warned so it's not like people are intentionally being horrible to each other.

My first thread back on TSR has just been taken down as it 'could cause offence' - I linked a video that might have been a little unsuitable but even then a mod could have just edited my post rather than immediately go for a card, I don't feel like making another similar thread for a decent convo with people as it might 'offend' someone :sad:
    I've tried pointing this out to them. That kind of approach just makes posters resent the mods, terrible way to run a forum.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently telling someone to take their gf for a "cheeky nandos" is offensive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Rainbow Drops-)

I suggest a mod team review as well for whoever is actually carding people for this ****.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, that isn't offensive, go into AAM and get that one overturned.

Some people really need to set guidelines for what is "offensive", and from what I've read on this thread some of the cards issued are for very petty reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    I've tried pointing this out to them. That kind of approach just makes posters resent the mods, terrible way to run a forum.
    What even happened though? Is it just the fact that mods have changed and been replaced with more stricter mods or have they been told to act firmer and give out more cards?

ReputationRep:
    What even happened though? Is it just the fact that mods have changed and been replaced with more stricter mods or have they been told to act firmer and give out more cards?
    It's been going on for years. Some of the mods are OK but you do get the ones who clearly take being in a position of power on an internet forum very, very seriously so issue cards for next to nothing and then refuse to change it.

Hopefully now the site owner/runner has admitted the rules are too strict, something will get done.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    I've just looked at your Community Record and you've not received a card for this reason. :confused: Or did you mean that someone just reported you...?

I suggest a mod team review as well for whoever is actually carding people for this ****.
    No, that isn't offensive, go into AAM and get that one overturned.

Some people really need to set guidelines for what is "offensive", and from what I've read on this thread some of the cards issued are for very petty reasons.
    It doesn't appear that this user was carded for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    It doesn't appear that this user was carded for it
    I don't know if they were but you actually had to check, because everyone knows it's not out of character to be carded for stuff like that.

I'd post a few of my own petty cards up but I'd be carded :rolleyes:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I don't know if they were but you actually had to check, because everyone knows it's not out of character to be carded for stuff like that.

I'd post a few of my own petty cards up but I'd be carded :rolleyes:
    I think we need our own subsection of TSR where we can post reasons for petty cards without being carded for the post ourselves

Why does the rule exist that cards cannot be discussed? :rolleyes::mad:

ReputationRep:
    I think we need our own subsection of TSR where we can post reasons for petty cards without being carded for the post ourselves

Why does the rule exist that cards cannot be discussed? :rolleyes::mad:
    Their mistakes would be exposed. Obviously we can't be having that.

I've got a pm in my inbox from a mod saying how a member on 10 warning points was given another 5 for ****s and giggles, taking them to 15 points and a week long ban.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Their mistakes would be exposed. Obviously we can't be having that.

I've got a pm in my inbox from a mod saying how a member on 10 warning points was given another 5 for ****s and giggles, taking them to 15 points and a week long ban.
    And if the community agreed they were mistakes, then the mods concerned would feel pressurized to reverse the carding, which certainly isn't a good thing. :nope:

So based on that idea it's good that cards cannot be discussed.

Though what you described in that PM was definitely a "trivial" matter, which could only be classed as a mistake. That and the old warning points system was heavily flawed; one user could get 10 points for the same thing that another user could get 2 points for. :sadnod:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.