Turn on thread page Beta

Being told you're not good enough. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesJones777)
    Its about self belief, if you want a B, work for it. I was told on TSR that I would never get an Oxford interview based on my academic record, I applied and I have one next week.
    That's a massive deal! What are you applying for? Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richpeasant)
    I'm sure there is someone in history whom was some sort of dropout or didn't goto further education and has received the Nobel prize, or at least is near the best in his field! I mean now it's probably alot harder than a few hundred years back, so due to the need of technology that sometimes costs millions i suppose things these days are alot harder to achieve.
    When people learn to play to their strengths, not their hopes, then society will function so much better.

ReputationRep:
    That's a massive deal! What are you applying for? Good luck!
    Thank you Oriental studies, Chinese.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uw0tm8_)
    You know what, just work hard and if somedays you feel de-motivated just remind yourself of what your teacher said to you and think about how doing your work, revising and staying focused is going to end. You will end up with amazing grades on results day and its the B E S T feeling ever when you throw you great grades in your teachers face esp when they had no faith in you.
    use what your teacher says as motivation, dont worry. Just stay focused and you'll do well.
    This is literally what I'm doing this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    I am a realist. No-one is good at everything, and many people are good at nothing. It's delusion to think "as long as I work at something, I will succeed", because most (not all) of the time it's nonsensical.
    lol I think you're more of a pessimist as opposed to a realist. Everyone is or has the ability to become good at something, regardless of where you're starting from.

ReputationRep:
    Today i was told by my Biology teacher i wasn't good enough even if i tried to achieve the grade i want (B). After i told her what job i wanted to do she said to me bluntly said i think we should go for something realistic, i'm resitting AS-level with the exception of one subject.

I must admit i haven't performed for her, last year i got cocky after thinking it was as GCSE'S which is evidently wrong. This year i'm resitting that along with Chemistry, this year is obviously easier, however new things have come to effect me, recently a close friend passed, my parents split up just over a year ago and mygirlfriend of 2 years split up and my grandfather isn't felling well, as a result iv'e been in a emotionally tough time, as expected iv'e just wanted to be left alone and just relax and do nothing, as a result work dropped too just homework and no self revision.
    Some of my teachers know about this, but she in particular doesn't know (unless there's been some staff room gossip). Back to the point, at GCSE i was that bad boy at school not caring but the one with alot of potential, i was predicted 1 D and 8 E's 3 U's at GCSE, within 6 months i changed that around gathering myself a few B's and C's, at the end of year eleven i bagged myself An A In all Science, Two B's and 9 C's, i proved her wrong at GCSE, but this time she obviously has no belief.

Now i understand you must be to the point at times however instead of saying "even if you tried, you wouldn't get the grades to do what you want" or "You should look at something different" both of which she said, Now i'm one of those tough guys, big and beefy but when she degraded me like that i felt she had stripped away everything i had and achieved. I acccept her honesty but she's a teacher someone to encourage give information, i'm from a rough area where most kids families are living on the bear minimum and as a result you would assume she would have kind of heart and push us even more to achieve what we can, now the point of this thread was more to let others get things off their chest, similar to my situation,

Has anyone ever told you, you weren't good enough? Did you prove them wrong? Were they right? I'd love to hear what you have to say.
    Regards Rich.
    I know this all too well... Though during sixth form for me it wasn't just 1 teacher, it was several.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidtyoember)
    lol I think you're more of a pessimist as opposed to a realist. Everyone is or has the ability to become good at something, regardless of where you're starting from.
    Fine, good at 'something', not necessarily something worth being good at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidtyoember)
    what's the something?
    How on earth am I supposed to know, I don't know every single individual on the planet.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Prove her wrong, I got told when I was at school that I would never go to Uni and that I am likely to end up in a dead end job or worse. I went to college and got the grades I needed to get into Uni and now I am having the time of my life working with Children which was what I always wanted to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Professor Purple)
    I was in bottom set science in year 8 and year 9, and tried to do fast track triple science.
    School said no because I wasnt good enough, so I had to do standard triple science.

Got A*'s the next year lol.
    How do I make a new thread ??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by _Charlotte15)
    How do I make a new thread ??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Go back to the forum and click where it says post new thread at the top of the page

ReputationRep:
    Today i was told by my Biology teacher i wasn't good enough even if i tried to achieve the grade i want (B). After i told her what job i wanted to do she said to me bluntly said i think we should go for something realistic, i'm resitting AS-level with the exception of one subject.

I must admit i haven't performed for her, last year i got cocky after thinking it was as GCSE'S which is evidently wrong. This year i'm resitting that along with Chemistry, this year is obviously easier, however new things have come to effect me, recently a close friend passed, my parents split up just over a year ago and mygirlfriend of 2 years split up and my grandfather isn't felling well, as a result iv'e been in a emotionally tough time, as expected iv'e just wanted to be left alone and just relax and do nothing, as a result work dropped too just homework and no self revision.
    Some of my teachers know about this, but she in particular doesn't know (unless there's been some staff room gossip). Back to the point, at GCSE i was that bad boy at school not caring but the one with alot of potential, i was predicted 1 D and 8 E's 3 U's at GCSE, within 6 months i changed that around gathering myself a few B's and C's, at the end of year eleven i bagged myself An A In all Science, Two B's and 9 C's, i proved her wrong at GCSE, but this time she obviously has no belief.

Now i understand you must be to the point at times however instead of saying "even if you tried, you wouldn't get the grades to do what you want" or "You should look at something different" both of which she said, Now i'm one of those tough guys, big and beefy but when she degraded me like that i felt she had stripped away everything i had and achieved. I acccept her honesty but she's a teacher someone to encourage give information, i'm from a rough area where most kids families are living on the bear minimum and as a result you would assume she would have kind of heart and push us even more to achieve what we can, now the point of this thread was more to let others get things off their chest, similar to my situation,

Has anyone ever told you, you weren't good enough? Did you prove them wrong? Were they right? I'd love to hear what you have to say.
    Regards Rich.
    Do not care about what your teachers are saying.Just work hard.And I promise you you'll get there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    Go back to the forum and click where it says post new thread at the top of the page
    Ok thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ok thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wait I'm on forum and nothing's happening ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cold Phoenix)
    back in year 9, i was told i wasn't good enough for triple science
    went on to get A*AA....

teachers sometimes get it wrong, believe in yourself and if you think you can do it, then do it and push yourself
    LOL!
    Same happened to me,
    I was was advised that triple science wouldnt be a good option.
    Now study chemistry at a RG uni.

Funny how life changes
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Go back to top of the page and click where it says A levels

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Top of what page? Sorry never done this before:/ haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Top of what page? Sorry never done this before:/ haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are Here: My TSR > Forums > Study Help > Secondary School, Sixth Form and FE College > A-levels where it says this near the top

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    You are Here: My TSR > Forums > Study Help > Secondary School, Sixth Form and FE College > A-levels where it says this near the top
    Thank you!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Regards Rich.
    In year 8 the director of studies at my school told my parents I'd never be good enough for an academic scholarship...

Not only did I get one but I'm now in my third year studying physics at Oxford on track for a good degree class and with a bit of luck a job in the City.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.