Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Criticism of Israel is not anti-semitic? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that many people who defend Israeli occupation of Palestine directly state that "any criticism of Israel is anti-Semitic". What I think is somewhat more common is asserting in response to specific criticisms of Israel that the particular criticism in question is anti-Semitic, even in cases where it is either not (either in the better case because they are simply mistaken or in the worse case because they want to derail the discussion), or not obviously so without more detailed argument. From the perspective of someone arguing against Israeli occupation of Palestine who has been accused of being anti-Semitic or making an anti-Semitic argument, it's often not clear to them why they've been accused of anti-Semitism, because, as above, they either haven't been, or don't realize that they have been. As far as they can see, the only thing which links the various arguments they make that get accused of anti-Semitism is that all these arguments happened to against Israel or Israel's actions. So, from their perspective, it does look like some defenders of Israel are saying that "any criticism of Israel is anti-Semitic". The solution is relatively simple: a) be very careful before you call someone (or someone's argument) anti-Semitic, and b) when you do call them anti-Semitic, provide quite a detailed case as to why you think they are (or an argument they made was). This way, it's clear to the other side that both a) you're not trying to brush away their arguments with a cheap derail, but also b) they can't do the same to you, because you've made clear why they can be accused of anti-Semitism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TopHat)
    Presumably the Labour Party is doctrinally opposed to the use of paragraphs on the grounds that it creates divisions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Presumably the Labour Party is doctrinally opposed to the use of paragraphs on the grounds that it creates divisions.
    Most of that paragraph follows the same basic point. I could have divided just before "The solution...", I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DErasmus)
    usually because the people doing the criticizing are Muslims talking about Israeli capitalism... obv alarm bells ringing.
    From what I've witnessed online it's not just Muslims, but anybody who feels strongly against Israeli involvement in Palestine. I take it with a pinch of salt as everybody on the internet is an idiot, myself included.
    Wild-generalisations aren't going to get either of us anywhere so I'm going to go back to lurking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TopHat)
    I don't think that many people who defend Israeli occupation of Palestine directly state that "any criticism of Israel is anti-Semitic".

What I think is somewhat more common is asserting in response to specific criticisms of Israel that the particular criticism in question is anti-Semitic, even in cases where it is either not (either in the better case because they are simply mistaken or in the worse case because they want to derail the discussion), or not obviously so without more detailed argument.

From the perspective of someone arguing against Israeli occupation of Palestine who has been accused of being anti-Semitic or making an anti-Semitic argument, it's often not clear to them why they've been accused of anti-Semitism, because, as above, they either haven't been, or don't realize that they have been. As far as they can see, the only thing which links the various arguments they make that get accused of anti-Semitism is that all these arguments happened to against Israel or Israel's actions. So, from their perspective, it does look like some defenders of Israel are saying that "any criticism of Israel is anti-Semitic".

The solution is relatively simple: a) be very careful before you call someone (or someone's argument) anti-Semitic, and b) when you do call them anti-Semitic, provide quite a detailed case as to why you think they are (or an argument they made was). This way, it's clear to the other side that both a) you're not trying to brush away their arguments with a cheap derail, but also b) they can't do the same to you, because you've made clear why they can be accused of anti-Semitism.
    Try that.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.