Turn on thread page Beta

Severe cold this winter in the UK watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maid Marian)
    Oh ...
    *shivers*

:emo:
    I'll bring you firewood. I'll slay the dragon. Trust in me but heed my words...winter is coming. :horse:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Larissa14)
    Yesterday when I was travelling to school it was -2 degrees. I was freezing even with a coat on. Just now where I live it is 3 degrees.
    -2? Oh how I can't wait until January/February when it gets turbo cold

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AstroNandos)
    -2? Oh how I can't wait until January/February when it gets turbo cold
    Yeah, -2. The temp didn't reach a postive umber till 12pm lol but at least it was sunny but very cold. I prefer snow though, I think tomorrow we might get a touch of sleet, I only like proper snow
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Eh... so long as it doesn't get unbearably cold at work I don't mind cold weather. -2 isn't that cold really. You'll be reet with a coat and scarf.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    Eh... so long as it doesn't get unbearably cold at work I don't mind cold weather. -2 isn't that cold really. You'll be reet with a coat and scarf.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But it's below average for this time of year? Should it be near 3/4 degrees during the day ?

ReputationRep:
    This is so not cool when you have an outdoors job . It's cold enough as it is.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Larissa14)
    But it's below average for this time of year? Should it be near 3/4 degrees during the day ?
    Below average for most parts of the UK, yes. However that doesn't mean it's not normal to be below freezing for a sustained period of time. What seems to be the case is that a typical day is fairly warm and then a cold snap brings the average down.

I remember during one such cold snap a few years ago taking a note of how cold the air felt when I walked out the door and looking at the thermometer outside. -2 didn't feel that cold but the day it got to -7 was the point it started to get uncomfortable. There was not much wind around that time, I should add. With a bit of wind it would have been much worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    Below average for most parts of the UK, yes. However that doesn't mean it's not normal to be below freezing for a sustained period of time. What seems to be the case is that a typical day is fairly warm and then a cold snap brings the average down.

I remember during one such cold snap a few years ago taking a note of how cold the air felt when I walked out the door and looking at the thermometer outside. -2 didn't feel that cold but the day it got to -7 was the point it started to get uncomfortable. There was not much wind around that time, I should add. With a bit of wind it would have been much worse.
    -7, that is cold. If it was that coldi doubt I would be going outside and I would be hibernating in my house instead

ReputationRep:
    Lol, soon as I saw the title I knew it would be an Express article, they said last year would be the coldest winter on record or something.... it turned out to be one of the mildest on record I think :lol:

And they said something about snow in November this year, but of course there was none unless you live at the top of the Cairngorms :rolleyes:

The worst thing is someone is getting paid to churn out this rubbish based on no evidence but some made up meteorologist every year

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who thinks it's not that cold? Sure, the breeze is making it feel colder than what it actually is, but still.

Then again, I wouldn't mind it to be -20, so I guess I answer my own question. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Don't usually take these things too seriously. Seem to recall Fullofsurprises predicting we would all perish beneath 15ft of snow last winter :mmm:
    My weather forecasts are famously inaccurate. Until they are right. :lol:

For example, I believe we are in for a cold winter this year and I have a small bet on that there will be snow at Christmas in London.

ReputationRep:
    Well.. that's one way of putting it! :mmm:

For what it's worth, I hope you're right this time! :hoppy:
    It seems we are currently in a trend of being more likely to get snow at Xmas. At least according to Met Office data.
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/learning...w-at-christmas

However, I got 8-1 on snow at Heathrow, so maybe the overall picture is still not very likely. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    "Currently in a trend"? Based on a few fairly stochastic clustered snowfalls in just 50 years of illustrated data?

Spoiler:
    Show
    You understand this is the climate we're talking about right?

Spoiler:
    Show
    ..which as we all know is largely governed by unpredictable forces, like gay marriage :teehee:

Didn't have you down as the gambling type, how much did you place? :scrooge:

'Overall picture' as in London proper/rest of UK?
    Yawn, yeah, overall as in London. :teehee:

I'm in for a tenner. I was introduced to it by sis, who is big into gambling, bad habits and all that.

ReputationRep:
    What would we do without papers creating mass hysteria over nothing?
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    Be afraid :afraid: panic, run around screaming because according to some newspapers we are in for the most severe winter in years. Reality it is just sensationalised and normal winter conditions are expected, although suppose if they keep predicting it each year, one year they will get it right. I swear they just edit the title each time.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature...tter-freeze-UK
    It's a bit cold, yeah..its winter. Those newspapers are the newspapers that lie...the one you linked to is the Express, well known for lying and being cheap newspaper, so no I'm not listening to anything they say :P

ReputationRep:
    As a cyclist I feel the weather more...last winter was wet, the winter before was ridiculously cold I cannot see it being colder...well I hope not.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by gandall)
    It's a bit cold, yeah..its winter. Those newspapers are the newspapers that lie...the one you linked to is the Express, well known for lying and being cheap newspaper, so no I'm not listening to anything they say :P
    Aye I was pointing out just how poor the article is, and in general how the Express always like to make it look like doomsday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Floydacious)
    Am I the only one who thinks it's not that cold? Sure, the breeze is making it feel colder than what it actually is, but still.

Then again, I wouldn't mind it to be -20, so I guess I answer my own question. :P
    I'm not finding it that cold and I hate the cold. Where I am it's been a bit frosty at night and dampness makes the chilly air even more chilly, but it's still not too bad for this time of year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    I dunno, it has been bloody freezing these last few nights. Like too cold to open the car cold.
    man up

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone had any snow today???

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.