Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viceroy)
    So what about all those guys who fathered the children of these 'irresponsible' women? You can't tell what they did because they don't carry it around with them. Are they as irresponsible as the women? If you're judging the mothers, you should be judging the fathers just as harshly.

That said, I don't think you should be judging anyone because there's absolutely no way of knowing anyone's personal circumstances just by looking at them. All you can tell when you see a woman with a baby is that she is a woman who happens to be holding a baby: doesn't have to be hers, doesn't have to be single, doesn't have to be skimming benefits.

Maybe the fathers have no say or no backbone to counter the mothers decision
    But yeah I mean it's her body and she can decide to keep it despite the odds,despite the circumstances.
    I am not judging every woman that is seen with a child, but I am pointing out a certain demographic of people
    We all have the right to judge other people

ReputationRep:
    You really think young single mothers have it easy? Raising a baby with support from a spouse is challenging enough - doing it alone deserves nothing but praise. Think about all the things these young women have had to give up.

Mistakes happen (not that all teen pregnancies are a mistake), I highly doubt these girls aspired to be single mothers and it's unfair of you to assume things about their situation...what if she were married/in a committed relationship and her partner died? What if she was raped? What if she's just a perfectly ordinary girl who decided she was ready for children?

EDIT: The prevalence of unwanted pregnancy is high and is on the rise, I don't deny this and there should be more done to encourage people to use contraception/practice safe sex

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Mason)
    For example, rapists, bullies, racists etc. There's no need to judge random people you see in the street that you know NOTHING about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by And then...)
    Young mums have nothing but respect from me, I'm 23 and can't look after myself properly.
    Some parent/parents cant even look after their children properly, just look at the recent news.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymοοse)
    You really think young single mothers have it easy? Raising a baby with support from a spouse is challenging enough - doing it alone deserves nothing but praise. Think about all the things these young women have had to give up.

Mistakes happen (not that all teen pregnancies are a mistake), I highly doubt these girls aspired to be single mothers and it's unfair of you to assume things about their situation...what if she were married/in a committed relationship and her partner died? What if she was raped? What if she's just a perfectly ordinary girl who decided she was ready for children?

EDIT: The prevalence of unwanted pregnancy is high and is on the rise, I don't deny this and there should be more done to encourage people to use contraception/practice safe sex
    Its much easier when you do not have to worry about paying rent,bills etc
    I see what you're saying but the majority decided to in fact get pregnant by their temp boyfriends
    It is cruel to raise a child in such circumstances

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackened_sky)
    For example, rapists, bullies, racists etc. There's no need to judge random people you see in the street that you know NOTHING about.
    True but I find it weird that you do not judge people to a similar extent, its normal, it is part of are nature

ReputationRep:
    I find it funny when kids are used as human shields to get whatever they want. Doesn't seem like motherly love, more like Stockholm syndrome.

ReputationRep:
    True but I find it weird that you do not judge people to a similar extent, its normal, it is part of are nature
    You're right, I'm judging you for your awful opinions and grammar

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackened_sky)
    You're right, I'm judging you for your awful opinions and grammar

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    If you look at social attitude surveys, it is clear that Britain is not a very empathic country. That is why many Brits would rather a child be raised in abject poverty than give up a tiny percentage of their income to see that child get a chance.
    While I'm inclined to agree with you, I don't think that empathy is the problem here. If someone gets knocked up of their own volition, and intentionally keeps the child all the while knowing that there is no feasible way for them to support it, why should my hard-earned money go towards supporting their act of selfishness?

People who have kids with no way of supporting them (and this is the only group of people this post is targeting, any other social factor is irrelevant) are just wanting a government hand-out at the expense of people who earn their money. Empathy has nothing to do with it, it's a logical conclusion based upon a logical question; why have kids if you can't support them? If you want sex, use contraception. If you want a kid, wait until you can support it before having one.

You remember the parable of the ant and the grasshopper? In this scenario, these people are grasshoppers and the taxpayers are the ants. That story is meant to teach a valuable lesson, but if the government is keen to keep throwing money at people who act without thinking then the lesson falls upon deaf ears, and will continue to do so all the while nobody is telling people "hey, you or your partner might want to have a job before trying for a kid eh?".

It's all very well people saying "so what, you want her to sell her body so she can feed her kid? Heartless *******". But if people thought about what they were doing, and thought about the repercussions that their actions would have prior to doing them, then they wouldn't be in a penniless position to begin with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    If you look at social attitude surveys, it is clear that Britain is not a very empathic country. That is why many Brits would rather a child be raised in abject poverty than give up a tiny percentage of their income to see that child get a chance.
    I agree and disagree. I think people would rather a child be raised in abject poverty than give up a tiny percentage of their income to see the parents of that child have a can of beer in their hand. The default belief is that benefits such as child benefit will just be spent on tinnies and **** by the parents.

I think there are very few people who wouldn't want to help out a child, the problem is that they will be dammed if their parents get a penny of it.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe the fathers have no say or no backbone to counter the mothers decision
    But yeah I mean it's her body and she can decide to keep it despite the odds,despite the circumstances.
    I am not judging every woman that is seen with a child, but I am pointing out a certain demographic of people
    Or maybe the fathers run off and leave the girlfriend pregnant and fending for herself? Maybe the mother had no choice in the matter (i.e. inadequate access to healthcare/abortion services) and was stuck in this situation with no alternative and no one to help her?

Good that you understand that everyone has the right to do with their bodies as they wish, but not all women in the demographic you describe are incompetent parents. There's really no way of knowing just by looking at someone, which seems to be your method of judging whether someone falls into the demographic with which you have a problem.

ReputationRep:
    I say well done to the young mothers that are making a go of things and are there for their children. The people I abhor are the men that let them struggle by themselves instead of taking their share of the responsibility.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.