Turn on thread page Beta

GIRLS! Would you mind being a housewife? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Le Nombre)
    Have you ever considered that for some people the stress is part of what they enjoy? The buzz of working flat out knowing that you have to get XYZ done.

Also, why would you volunteer doing the jobs most on TSR aspire to? If you're a doctor or lawyer whose services are literally worth hundreds of pounds an hour it seems daft to just do it for free.
    I'm sure your head of pro bono would be interested to hear your views on this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Romula)
    Yes. Absolutely. If I got married, we would both have a career, and he would damn well have a fifty-fifty share of the housework. I would never be bound to a domestic life and financial dependence on a spouse purely because he is rich and I am a woman.
    Why would a rich man want to do 50% of the housework? :dontknow: Rich men have options :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I get bored so easily that staying in the house 24/7 would drive me mad! I'd like some excitement in my life.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I would definitely mind it! I'm not going to uni and spend years of studying to become a house wife. I would feel trapped in my own house.

ReputationRep:
    hmmm. My current partner is in an absolute mess financially, he is insolvent and barely earns enough to get him through the week and so I seem to be constantly at the limit of my overdraft. Over the years this has caused a lot of stress - unpaid bills, scary letters, trying to figure out how to eat for the cheapest possible price, him being off work and relying on me for months at a time....so you know what..nah, I wouldn't mind it. But I do have my own aspirations and I do want to work so I couldn't handle it forever. 3-5 years of housewife would be lovely right now though. Ideally I'd like a 50/50 lifestyle which would suit well as I don't really want children.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    I'm sure your head of pro bono would be interested to hear your views on this
    Haha true, it is nice to do, but I think it'd get galling after a while just doing it for free. Though our head of PB's always wittering about using it for business development too so he'd probably be all for that stance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Le Nombre)
    Haha true, it is nice to do, but I think it'd get galling after a while just doing it for free. Though our head of PB's always wittering about using it for business development too so he'd probably be all for that stance!
    Haha, maybe he finds himself ostracised if he doesn't speak in terms partners will understand.

In all seriousness, though, in and of itself I don't see why someone doing part-time pro bono as a pastime would be so unreasonable (if they really enjoy law that much). That said, I don't know much about the practicalities of doing that wrt regulatory requirements etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva.Gregoria)
    Nope and I see nothing wrong with admitting it. If I could have the chance to never work again, who wouldn't take that opportunity?
    Something that is never open to me as I am a man :sad:

Although I'm not sure I would actually want it, for my own sanity and the unfairness of it. But something like a shared part time set up would be appealing. Or we both have lower paying jobs which are more enjoyable and give us more free time compared to just me having a higher paid/longer hours more stressful job. I would definitely become resentful if I had to work a hard full time job whilst my significant other didn't work at all in the long term. It would definitely strain a relationship as I would feel I am being taken for granted.

I'm not someone who needs a 24/7 job to feel fulfilled. There is lots of other stuff to do, volunteering, hobbies, child rearing etc. What happens if I wanted to spend more time with my children than with a job? Working part time and then having more time to do this other stuff would definitely be appealing to me. Women seem to have more options open to them in what is deemed acceptable, they can be anything from full on house wife to full on career woman as well as what lies between. Which is good. But this flexibility doesn't really exist for men.

Lots of females on here are saying they would never want that but that isn't the point. You have the choice. Plus you may change your mind when you are sick to death of your job and the option to work less comes open later on in your life for whatever reason, maybe you are having a child. Men get sod all paternity leave. So already in that situation they are getting funneled into being the main bread earner.

(Original post by Ndella)
    Yes. I get bored so easily that staying in the house 24/7 would drive me mad! I'd like some excitement in my life.
    But you're a student. Lot's of people are saying this. Yes staying in the house all day everyday is insanity inducing. But I don't think you lot appreciate just how tedious/stress/soul destroying work has the potential to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vixen47)
    That's my dream. If I marry my current boyfriend that's the life I want to live because he's in an excellent place financially so my money won't be entirely necessary. I'd still work part time because financial independence is important to me and I don't want to be 110% dependent on his money, but mostly I'd prefer to play housewife because it's so me and I know that I would genuinely enjoy it.

I don't like the idea of working full time while I play wife, mum, chef, cleaner, and therapist. I think the sociological term for this is triple-shift. It's too much for one person. Earlier today I heard my sister on the phone to her husband saying that she has 7 loads of washing to do. (She wasn't exaggerating.) She works 40 hours a week, she cooks for his family of 5, she has a son who she mostly cares for. He doesn't see feeding himself or caring for his son as his responsibility. She has her mother-in-law and sister-in-law to help with the cooking and cleaning, but they do that every single day so it's a lot of work. I can't stand the idea of one day having to be in that position. Just taking care of a kid is too much. (I know, I'm the one who takes care of hers while she works!) Having to deal with work and everything else on top makes her life sound like hell to me. I don't care if I lose the independence feminists push for women to gain, I just don't want to have to deal with all that **** because it's way too much for one person to take on.

People laugh at those who say being a housewife and/or a mother is a job itself. Those people are the most ignorant people I've ever come across. I'd love for these people to try taking care of a baby while dealing with housework and feeding their family and being a therapist to their family. It's a ****ing nightmare. It's a 24 hour job which provides no holidays and no time off. My favourite video on this little rant:

Unless you're in a relationship where your husband helps with the cooking and the cleaning and the caring for the baby, working sounds great. If I marry my boyfriend I know I'll be doing all that stuff because he can't cook, I doubt he cleans, and he made a comment during one of our recent conversations where he said something like if/after we have kids I won't have much time for him because I'll be busy taking care of them. :eek: I am not letting him put me through dealing with nightmare babies on my own. He can go through that **** with me. :eek: I've always loved the traditional gender roles and have always idealised myself as a housewife. Boyfriend has even said that we can get a cook and cleaner if it's too much for me, but I said no. I genuinely enjoy doing that stuff and see it as my role, and I'm more than happy to do it as long as I don't have to work a full time job while I do it. Ideally I would work part time/flexible hours, don't know what that work might be, but there's no way in hell that it'll be a 9-5. :eek:

If I break up with my boyfriend this entire plan will change unless I find someone just like him. If I end up with someone who doesn't earn enough and needs me to work too, then god knows what I'm going to do. :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    Being a housewife and full time mother genuinely sounds too difficult :^_^: I wouldn't mind but I want to have a job myself, I'd rather do an equal amount with my husband (or wife, whatever), I'd prefer not to have 1 person doing all the work for money, and 1 person doing all the work for the children. The couple next door to me works like the mother is a full-time working surgeon, and the father stays at home looking after the kids and doing the housework. They seem happy but 1 person doing all of one thing, and another doing all of the other thing doesn't suit me.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, no, I feel I'm too career-orientated to give up that sort of role for one at home. I'm sure it's extremely fulfilling for those who want to have that sort of lifestyle but I don't think it would offer the particular challenges I'm looking for or the independence I like to have. I'd love to have children when I'm older but if giving up my job forever (or for a while, anyway) was the price I had to pay, I'm not sure I would do it.

Of course, I'm assuming women who would want to stay at home may not always be able to anyway, same with men, surviving off one wage might not always be feasible if living costs are high, especially with children. I just don't feel that it is what I want to do with my future, though I know plenty of my friend's mothers absolutely loved staying at home and looking after the children and several of my friends want to take that path in life. I suppose it depends on what gives each, individual person the satisfaction they crave.

ReputationRep:
    Consider my fiance does all the cleaning, I would be a really crap housewife

In all honesty though, I would hate it. I like to go to work and do something different. My fiancé knows that I will not be a stay at home mum, regardless of financial situation. At best I will be part time, but I will not give up work altogether. I'm not that kind of person.

(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Something that is never open to me as I am a man :sad:
    Why's that?

My boyfriend and I had this conversation a while ago as we will both be in relatively demanding jobs with long hours (me a doctor, he a teacher). He said he wouldn't mind being a stay at home parent - and I'd be more than happy with that arrangement if we were financially in the position to do that.
    I wouldn't be the stay at home parent myself as it'd drive me crazy, but he's more able to entertain himself than I am.

& I have an uncle who's a stay at home dad to two daughters whilst his wife works full-time as a nurse.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, there's no way i'm being anybody's housewife. Absolutely no way.

I think all of you who say you're aiming for that kind of situation should think long and hard about what you will do when your husband leaves you/you leave them (statistically highly likely to happen, unfortunately) and you're left with children to look after, no real career prospects, and a rude awakening. For goodness sake do not become dependent on anyone.

ReputationRep:
    No, as long as my future husband is financially secure. I'd also preferably like to have a business or some sort of investment as a source of income.

ReputationRep:
    My ultimate dream :daydreaming:

ReputationRep:
    Indeed I would because it would be so boring staying in all day even though I basically do that now lolems!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I'd personally find it boring being at home all day and I don't like the idea of being financially dependent on someone. Also as another poster has pointed out if we end up getting divorced/he dies early I would be in a bad position for getting a job to support myself as I wouldn't have worked for years (this happened to someone I know).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would mind, simply because I really dislike household chores. I'd rather have a job I feel passionate about. Otherwise, I find nothing inherently wrong with being a housewife.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tnshattock)
    50s-60s style, stay at home housewife. Being financially dependent on your partner, cooking, cleaning, taking care of the kid(s) until your partner got back.

Assume that your future husband is a decent one, who does not take you foregranted, and actually gives you the money for things, plus an allowance, etc.

The values of the ideal 50s-60s era home, just for the sake of this scenario.

Would you mind being a housewife?
    HAPPILY

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.