Turn on thread page Beta

What do you make of a girl dressed very conservatively? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I just like dressing very conservatively or formal, I tend to look as though I'm off to some meeting or something probably because I wear a lot of black idk. I like wearing long dresses that are just above or below the knee and I'll wear those summery kimonos or cardigan with it then opaque tights and ballerina pumps or calf boots. My coat is also just below the knee and is like a long blazer. For makeup I'll just wear a bit of red lipstick and go simple on the eyes. For jewellery I like to wear pearl studs or dangly silver earrings, necklaces, rings all that. Would you think I'm just some prude or a high maintenance girl or something?

My friend commented the other day that when he saw me, I just gave off the impression I wasn't interested in anything romantic and he could get nowhere with me physically because I seem reserved. :confused:
    Sounds quite similar to me although I wear quite a lot of colour, I hate showing a lot of skin. I can come across as well as a bit reserved whereas other girls get a lot of attention. I wouldn't worry about it though, sounds like you have a lovely sense of style

(Original post by skunkboy)
    Kimonos? Japanese? I like kimonos. You should try something...a little bit sexy(pics below). Now it's 2015!

http://img01.cp.aliimg.com/imgextra/...!!72510332.jpg

http://image.rakuten.co.jp/icl-club/...mg56201133.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh sorry about the confusion, by kimonos, I mean these modern ones that have seem to have cropped up this summer, for example:

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/2...use-Blusas.jpg

So just quite oversized, flowy cardigans really.

(Original post by pink pineapple)
    Sounds quite similar to me although I wear quite a lot of colour, I hate showing a lot of skin. I can come across as well as a bit reserved whereas other girls get a lot of attention. I wouldn't worry about it though, sounds like you have a lovely sense of style
    Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    If somebody is put off you (or can't be bothered to get to know you) based on how you dress, they're not somebody you would probably want to be with anyway x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akaribatwa)
    Wife material , decent woman, perfect example for the future generation.
    It's okay I am 18 and people in my uni they call me uncle , because of the way I dress lol.

Women of older days were elegant, with a class. Women of today are just epitomes of selfishness. The women of today have lost everything, their morale, values, integrity and those few who have it, they are the ones whom I love. Females get respect because of their good deeds, good behavior, good manners, patience as a house wife, values to the next gen. etc.not because they are girls , the few decent one like you are god gift.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    Oh sorry about the confusion, by kimonos, I mean these modern ones that have seem to have cropped up this summer, for example:

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/2...use-Blusas.jpg

So just quite oversized, flowy cardigans really.
    Lol. I don't think that kimono is attractive. But that doesn't mean you're unattractive. I really don't know if you're attractive.

Some girls are really hypocrites. They keep telling people they do hate showing a lot of skin. But they still wear swimsuits. Lol.

Sometimes I do like wearing cruddy outfit. That completely changes my look. But it doesn't spoil a trait.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You took the word out of my mouth.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with it at all, imo. So long as it's not part of a superiority complex, looking down on other people for not dressing so conservatively, then it's all good.

ReputationRep:
    Conservatively dressed = Walking advertisement mode off. Want to get on with life and such without arousing sexual attraction.

ReputationRep:
    My friend commented the other day that when he saw me, I just gave off the impression I wasn't interested in anything romantic and he could get nowhere with me physically because I seem reserved. :confused:
    I'd be more likely to get the impression, not that you aren't at all interested in relationships, but rather that you aren't desperate for them.

When your clothes are not so blatantly designed or chosen so as to pique the sexual interest of any man who sees you, it suggests that you aren't particularly needy for that sort attention, and that you don't have to resort to that easy method of getting men to notice you, because you're probably confident that you have a lot of other things going for you too.

It also suggests that, relatively speaking, any relationship you do enter into may be based less on just having simply incited a man's sexual attraction towards you, and more on other types of attraction as well (e.g. emotional, intellectual, admiration for you as a person etc).

Of course if you are in fact itching for male attention of any sort, and do want to indiscriminately enter into casual relationships based mainly around sex and not necessarily much else, then perhaps dressing conservatively isn't the way to go.

(Original post by tazarooni89)
    I'd be more likely to get the impression, not that you aren't at all interested in relationships, but rather that you aren't desperate for them.

When your clothes are not so blatantly designed or chosen so as to pique the sexual interest of any man who sees you, it suggests that you aren't particularly needy for that sort attention, and that you don't have to resort to that easy method of getting men to notice you, because you're probably confident that you have a lot of other things going for you too.

It also suggests that, relatively speaking, any relationship you do enter into may be based less on just having simply incited a man's sexual attraction towards you, and more on other types of attraction as well (e.g. emotional, intellectual, admiration for you as a person etc).

Of course if you are in fact itching for male attention of any sort, and do want to indiscriminately enter into casual relationships based mainly around sex and not necessarily much else, then perhaps dressing conservatively isn't the way to go.
    You understood me exactly above. Ever since I started university in September, I did sort of want a relationship because I've never been in one before and it'd be a new experience, I got asked a few times but I think these people only really liked me for aesthetic reasons, because they'd only talk about that and make derogatory comments about my lips or something, and not really care or even remember anything I told them about myself.

I've just never really found the right person for me but I'm sure they're out there somewhere and I'm in no rush, as I have exams coming up that I have to study pretty hard for and I know if I got into a relationship now, it WOULD distract me because it'd be all new and exciting and I only have about 4 months left of my first uni year anyway, so it's better for me to steer clear until the summer at least.

ReputationRep:
    Amen to that! Better than dressing slutty and letting men see your bits for free

ReputationRep:
    I just like dressing very conservatively or formal, I tend to look as though I'm off to some meeting or something probably because I wear a lot of black idk. I like wearing long dresses that are just above or below the knee and I'll wear those summery kimonos or cardigan with it then opaque tights and ballerina pumps or calf boots. My coat is also just below the knee and is like a long blazer. For makeup I'll just wear a bit of red lipstick and go simple on the eyes. For jewellery I like to wear pearl studs or dangly silver earrings, necklaces, rings all that. Would you think I'm just some prude or a high maintenance girl or something?

Oh my God we must have been split at birth! When I first came to this college everyone thought I was a member of staff because I looked so "formal". I'm the same I LOVE black - it's literally the only colour I wear. I'm defintely not some kind of goth or something but it looks fashionable and makes you stand out (in a good way).

As for how people perceive you, well people say that I have the potential to be a very strong successful woman - they think that's the kind of impression that I give off - maybe that applies to you? I never thought of coming off as a bit of a prude, I suppose I do, now you mention it. I'm very sexual (not in a ****gy way) but I suppose my body language looks like I'm not up for it haha. But it depends what you're looking for.

That picture of the coat is AMAZING btw - carry on with the red lipstick and pearls too - I love them (that's exactly what I'm wearing now!) People always tell me off for being "too old for my age" but I'd rather stay the same than wear converse and all that lot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)

Well said. When I just said "it depends what you're after," this is exactly what I meant!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 6, 2015
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.