Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Deadly gun attack in Paris: Global reactions & discussion watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)

That's a reprehensible position. The newspaper were well within their rights to post those cartoons and should not be censored through terrorism. The principle of free speech should be protected and not abandoned because of such scumbags.
    It was a stupid thing to do given the recent terror attacks in Paris over the last month. Why put lives at risk just to prove that you have freedom of speech?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kushmakush)
    problem is that Taymiya is like respected by so many people including most of the ISOC on tsr

ask them to condemn him and most wont
    I hope im wrong but it seems most of the isoc are pretty extreme...but yeah it becomes an issue when people like taymiya aren't condemned....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dexa)
    Is it really standing up at the expense of innocent lives?

Well ultimately it would the head of the magazine that would agree to publish the material, so it was his call in the end. The workers are simply doing their job. I thought it was stupid that they publish such a thing at a time of already raised racial and religious unrest in the city.

as someone else has said

'That's a reprehensible position. The newspaper were well within their rights to post those cartoons and should not be censored through terrorism. The principle of free speech should be protected and not abandoned because of such scumbags.'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radicalathiest)
    as someone else has said

'That's a reprehensible position. The newspaper were well within their rights to post those cartoons and should not be censored through terrorism. The principle of free speech should be protected and not abandoned because of such scumbags.'
    The priority to should be safety of people, not freedom of speech. This incident could have been avoided.

ReputationRep:
    as someone else has said

Whoever said that:yy::yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30710883

terrible to start they year off with a terrorist attack

ReputationRep:
    Wow, according to France24 these guys had a rocket launcher. Considering they're still on the run this is pretty ****ing scary.

http://www.france24.com/fr/20150107-...e-hebdo-paris/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dexa)
    The priority to should be safety of people, not freedom of speech. This incident could have been avoided.
    No it should not

If that's the case those who ue th threat of violence will always win

But were you never taught to stand up to bullies?

ReputationRep:
    Terrorism. When will it ever go away eh

Very sad for those who lost their lives.

Also it's nice to see the thread title didn't include Muslim or any other words which could spark inflammatory comments

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hahahoran18)
    Whoever said that:yy::yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It was 'tengentoppa'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dexa)
    A lot of incidents could have been avoided, but religion has its way in this world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dexa)
    It was a stupid thing to do given the recent terror attacks in Paris over the last month. Why put lives at risk just to prove that you have freedom of speech?
    What you are advocating is bowing down to theocratic fascism. As far as I am concerned, the people who died today are brave martyrs who fought for free speech and freedom of expression in the face of the scum of the earth. They should be revered, and not reviled as you are doing.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by smegma_butty)
    Wow, according to France24 these guys had a rocket launcher. Considering they're still on the run this is pretty ****ing scary.

http://www.france24.com/fr/20150107-...e-hebdo-paris/
    I read this in the Telegraph as well. How did they manage to get hold of that? They had shot guns too apparently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    What you are advocating is bowing down to theocratic fascism. As far as I am concerned, the people who died today are brave martyrs who fought for free speech and freedom of expression in the face of the scum of the earth. They should be revered, and not reviled as you are doing.
    You are deeply mistaken. I somehow doubt they wanted to die, which is different to the mentality of say a jihadist. Essentially you're celebrating the deaths of innocent people saying it was for a good cause.

I'm not muslim btw.

ReputationRep:
    It was 'tengentoppa'
    Good for him

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reluire)
    Yes, but this is a discussion of the event, not of Islam. Debate of Islamic scripture belongs in the Religion forum, not here. We're not saying Islam can't be mentioned, but we don't want this thread to escalate into a fully fledged religious debate.
    Well then you're restricting our freedom of discussion

ReputationRep:
    No it should not

If that's the case those who ue th threat of violence will always win

But were you never taught to stand up to bullies?
    Well we didn't win did we, 11 innocent people are dead.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by holmes221)
    Well then you're restricting our freedom of discussion
    Not at all. I'm saying if you want to discuss religion, do so in the Religion forum. You're welcome to open another thread there regarding the religious implications. That's the last I will say on this; if you have any further questions or problems, please open a thread in the AAM forum.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Discussion of religious scripture in this thread is off-topic in my opinion. You are more than welcome to create a new thread regarding this in the Religion forum .

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dexa)
    Well we didn't win did we, 11 innocent people are dead.
    Yes we did we showed that despite the threats of violence we wouldn't be cowed into submission.

I bet you £5 they'll reprint them in the next copy of the magazine and I now suspect they'll be reprinted a lot more by those who think we should defend the hard won freedoms we have rather than bend over to religious fascism

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.