Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

stephen fry getting married Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clh_hilary)
    Are there no laws specifically only for 'marriage' but not other contracts? :rolleyes:
    You're either trying to make a point extremely badly or there is no point but you're determined to give the impression that there is.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I'm happy for him and his partner. Can't help but feel that his partner looks very awkward and uncomfortable in every pic I've seen of them together. Though maybe he's just camera shy or something.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birkenhead)
    You're either trying to make a point extremely badly or there is no point but you're determined to give the impression that there is.
    The point is marriage contracts are treated as another category of contracts due to the way the laws have made them to be, so contracts outside of the 'system' cannot overrule the laws within it, ie the 'clause' of marriage cannot be changed.

ReputationRep:
    I am so happy for him! He is awesome and so amazingly open about his mental health problems etc.
    Yes I admit the age gap is a bit odd for me personally, but hey who am I to judge? They are both consenting adults.

ReputationRep:
    v. happy that Stephen Fry has found happiness after his (ongoing) struggle with mental health. heard an interesting PoV on the news this morning; would the 'gold/fame-digger' hate be much more intense had he married a 27yr old women? (i.e. he was not gay and married a young women)

ReputationRep:
    The point is marriage contracts are treated as another category of contracts due to the way the laws have made them to be, so contracts outside of the 'system' cannot overrule the laws within it, ie the 'clause' of marriage cannot be changed.
    You're talking nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    Even if this were true, when it comes to divorce, the marriage contract is long gone.

The reason why pre-nups had limited effect in the UK came down to policy.

Back in the day, divorce was frowned upon. People did not like the idea of people planning for the breakup of their marriage. It was also believed that a pre-nup would encourage divorce.

It was also felt that agreements made between husband and wife ought not tie the hands of the court.

Then you have issues of changing circumstances and ensuring fairness.

Nowadays, the first reason is not really valid. Society has moved on. The second and third issue are somewhat still in play (the third especially). This means that pre-nups could become more common place and carry more weight. Though there would still be judicial oversight of sorts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uncouth body)
    He's a horrible fat pervert. He has serious mental health problems as discussed in a recent BBC documentary. He has bipolar disorder too.

Having found out that his husband to be is only 27, I've now lost all respect and empathy I had for Stephen.
    In other words, jealousy speaks much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForgetMe)
    In other words, jealousy speaks much.
    OMG You're so ****ing clever. No one would've guessed I was jealous! Of course I'm jealous. I mean, who wouldn't be? All that wealth to be taken advantage of. Fry is delusional. He's been blinded for love after having been alone for most of his life. Only, he'll be robbed of everything...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    I'm happy for him and his partner. Can't help but feel that his partner looks very awkward and uncomfortable in every pic I've seen of them together. Though maybe he's just camera shy or something.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    This

although the age gap shocked me a bit

ReputationRep:
    Men should not be marrying one another. It is immoral, unnatural and unbritish.

ReputationRep:
    was surprised at how young the boyf is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white boy)
    was surprised at how young the boyf is
    How old is he?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lent6)
    How old is he?
    27. stephen is 57.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the age gap (and general attractiveness gap...) is slightly off-putting, but judging people based on looks is silly. I hope they're very happy together and it's very good to have a gay major celebrity getting married. Especially one who's so well respected by most people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white boy)
    27. stephen is 57.
    That's a 30 year age gap.

ReputationRep:
    I hope that Ipswich Town fans do not sing hateful songs about him (Stephen Fry is a Norwich City football club director).

ReputationRep:
    I didn't even know he was gay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adipoptosis)
    I didn't even know he was gay.
    Neither did I, but looking back I'm not surprised at all....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you really think he enjoys sleeping with a fat guy who is nearly 60.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.