(Original post by Raymat)
    Do you think its natural?
    Do I think heterosexuality is natural? yes
    but that doesn't mean i think homosexuality is unnatural

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suudsioee)
    Do I think heterosexuality is natural? yes
    but that doesn't mean i think homosexuality is unnatural
    I just wanted to know your thoughts. I have nothing against people of LGBT and if you want to change the best advice ill give you is continuing praying, seek more knowledge, try to be more practising and see how it goes. Try out sexual abstinence. It suppresses sexual desires. All the best sister.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catsis)
    Ok, non-believer.
    So what if they are a non-believer, is that meant to be an insult?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I posted this a couple of days ago in another thread, but I felt it was applicable here too.

Speakings as a Bisexual woman of mixed Sunni-Shi'i parentage, I feel I should add my own voice here.

There are two separate issues here which people are confusing. Sexual practice is different from both romantic feelings and sociological identity. Being a gay Muslim is no more contradictory than being a British-Muslims, Pakistani-Muslims or in my case Lebanese-Iranian-British-Muslim. Gayness here operates as an identity, classical Islam has no opinion on modern identity, sexual identity is a recent thing with its roots in the late 19th century and took off in the 20th century, as did national identity and nationalism.

None of classical Islamic scholastic has anything to say about homosexual as an identity, its no more haram than calling oneself a British or Iraqi Muslim. These identities did not exist in the pre-modern period and newness of something doesn't automatically make it haraam either. If we take a look at contemporary Sunni Islam, we see almost no Mujtahids but many Muftis, what does this mean? It means contemporary Sunni scholars by-enlarge cannot issue rulings on sexual identity, because the role of a Mufti is to interpreter classical Islamic scholars and since sexual identity did not exist then, they cannot issue rulings on it. Thus, from an Islamic perspective, the role of modern identity is undecided upon. Thus, one can be a Gay Muslim from an identity perspective.

We now turn to romantic feelings, again none of the Classical legalistic Islamic literature has much to say on the issue of romantic feelings between members of the same sex. This is largely due to the fact that early legalists were unconcerned with peoples' private conduct, they cared more about public order and an attitude developed that people could do as they do privately, so long as they did not bring disorder to the streets. This is the major concern of early Islamic legalists.

Now we turn to sex. Much of the injunctions that do exist were against two things, war rape and sodomy. Sodomy was outlawed largely because it was considered harmful to an individuals health, but this legal rulings does not target any sexuality in particular, its aimed at anyone who practices it whether hetro or homo. War Rape was a common practice in pre-Islamic Middle Eastern warfare, and this often took on the form of men on men, which is were the early references to homosexual acts comes from. However, this is set in a specific context and is not mentioned in any other context and thus we cannot claim conclusively.

anti-homosexual laws weren't introduced into the Islamic world until European colonization began. It was often the colonizers who passed these laws, the first anti-homosexual laws were passed in Syria in the 1920's by the French. Similar patterns for the other countries too.

But we must go beyond this history, we must learn to love and tolerant one another. Nothing more and nothing less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhilosopherQueen)
    Hi,

I posted this a couple of days ago in another thread, but I felt it was applicable here too.

Speakings as a Bisexual woman of mixed Sunni-Shi'i parentage, I feel I should add my own voice here.

There are two separate issues here which people are confusing. Sexual practice is different from both romantic feelings and sociological identity. Being a gay Muslim is no more contradictory than being a British-Muslims, Pakistani-Muslims or in my case Lebanese-Iranian-British-Muslim. Gayness here operates as an identity, classical Islam has no opinion on modern identity, sexual identity is a recent thing with its roots in the late 19th century and took off in the 20th century, as did national identity and nationalism.

None of classical Islamic scholastic has anything to say about homosexual as an identity, its no more haram than calling oneself a British or Iraqi Muslim. These identities did not exist in the pre-modern period and newness of something doesn't automatically make it haraam either. If we take a look at contemporary Sunni Islam, we see almost no Mujtahids but many Muftis, what does this mean? It means contemporary Sunni scholars by-enlarge cannot issue rulings on sexual identity, because the role of a Mufti is to interpreter classical Islamic scholars and since sexual identity did not exist then, they cannot issue rulings on it. Thus, from an Islamic perspective, the role of modern identity is undecided upon. Thus, one can be a Gay Muslim from an identity perspective.

We now turn to romantic feelings, again none of the Classical legalistic Islamic literature has much to say on the issue of romantic feelings between members of the same sex. This is largely due to the fact that early legalists were unconcerned with peoples' private conduct, they cared more about public order and an attitude developed that people could do as they do privately, so long as they did not bring disorder to the streets. This is the major concern of early Islamic legalists.

Now we turn to sex. Much of the injunctions that do exist were against two things, war rape and sodomy. Sodomy was outlawed largely because it was considered harmful to an individuals health, but this legal rulings does not target any sexuality in particular, its aimed at anyone who practices it whether hetro or homo. War Rape was a common practice in pre-Islamic Middle Eastern warfare, and this often took on the form of men on men, which is were the early references to homosexual acts comes from. However, this is set in a specific context and is not mentioned in any other context and thus we cannot claim conclusively.

anti-homosexual laws weren't introduced into the Islamic world until European colonization began. It was often the colonizers who passed these laws, the first anti-homosexual laws were passed in Syria in the 1920's by the French. Similar patterns for the other countries too.

But we must go beyond this history, we must learn to love and tolerant one another. Nothing more and nothing less.
    There's nothing wrong with 'being' homosexual as that's beyond ones control. Just putting it into 'practice' isn't permissible in Islam. One should at least try to supress those desires as much as they can and try to make an effort to conceal it. As for society, I agree that people, including Muslims, should stop prosecuting homosexuals and still accept them as individuals of a community. The best they can do is offer non-harmful help but not forcibly. I like that article, it made a lot of sense.

ReputationRep:
    What does 'practicing' homosexuality mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonynous)
    Wait are you gay muslim?
    Excuse me the are no Muslims gays in this world :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhilosopherQueen)
    What does 'practicing' homosexuality mean?
    You can be homosexual in mind, for instance you find the same sex attractive or you have sexual urges for the same sex. But thats not the same as practicing homosexuality which involves engaging in homosexual acts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sainab Warsame)
    Excuse me the are no Muslims gays in this world :eek:
    Some muslims can be naturally gay, it's beyond they're control. That's what I assume. I'm not gay so I don't know whether its something that's actually natural or chosen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raymat)
    So what if they are a non-believer, is that meant to be an insult?
    No.

ReputationRep:
    Blindly accepting the contents of an ancient book as truth, with no level of scepticism, is not admirable. It is pernicious and naive. It is why the Islamic world is held back so far behind the modern world - it refuses to accept the idiocy of its own ideas and the superiority of others'. This arrogance harms its own people more than anybody else.
    I'm not trying to defend Islam here. But I'm telling you that You are ignorant. Did you read the quran?? Are you familiar with its teachings and principles? or you are just making none sense gossip here.

You know Why Muslims are behind the modern world because for GOD SAKE, Muslims don't follow the teaching of the Quran. Otherwise, You are Going to see them in different state.

First verse in Quran was revealed was : Read. And, Muslims don't read. Also, Quran is enriched with this context: You have to contemplate, to use your mind to understand what is surround you. If you read the Quran; You are going to encounter this context millions of time. The problem lies with muslims that they are being far away from the teachings of their book.

Quran stated frankly that part of the existence of the human being is to build civilization. You got it the the whole story opposite.

You just try to read this ancient book. You are going to be surprised rather dazzled, and come up with new and fair understanding of Islam's religion.

You give it a try.

ReputationRep:
    when you pray with all you have to god that you could be different but your prayers are left unanswered?
    Do you believe things can happen in your life, but you can not understand. few years later, you try to connect the dots and the straps together. You start to get some answers. There are many things we encounter in this life; we can't understand if we try. They are beyond our grasp and understanding.

Sometime, incidents happen in our life. if you look at them from outside, they are going to appear as big failure and disappointment. But, they are not. They happened to make your life better. But at that time when they happen; they look extremely bad, and You would be upset. But No, the reality is different. And, You might understand this after few years.

I'll give you an example explain my point better:

Steve Jobs dropped from the university. And, later on he discovered that this was one of best decision he made, and help him to establish his company, apple.

Even later on, he was fired from his company which he establishes. Its was bad at the begging, and he could not accept that. he was lost. But firing him from his own company giving him the chance to build his other company, Next.

Steve Jobs Quate " You have to trust in something — your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever" Muslims trust in God= Allah.

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing wrong in being who you are!
    Be yourself
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VG1bj4Lj1Q

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 10, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.