Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

PM won't debate without the Greens! watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Should the Green Party be part of the TV debates?
    Yes
    82.14%
    No
    17.86%

• Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by B-FJL3)
    There should be no TV debates at all, given that they added almost nothing of any value to the last election. Instead we had the three leaders all trotting out their usual spiel and trying to score cheap points off each other, rather than actually convincing the public that they had sincere and sound ideas or principles to offer.

They are simply an opportunity for the party PR men to go into overdrive, unleashing a load of specious drivel at the audience and forcing the leaders into artificial, awkward looking behaviour, like making Gordon Brown smile, or Alex Salmond suddenly walk forward from behind his lectern as if he were Moses delivering the Ten Commandments.

The senior journalists presiding over them get off on the whole thing as they get to play the aloof & patrician-like chairman, finding out the "truth" for the good of the people, and generally inflating their own egos whilst failing spectacularly to get a clear answer out of any of the leaders. Naturally the various TV channels love it because they get to fill a slot in their timetable with a guaranteed ratings winner.

Conclusion: it's reducing elections to a TV talent show rather than actually finding out anything of substance. A test of who's best at getting tarted up for the cameras and showing enough thigh to titillate the public into voting for them.
    Couldn't have said it better.

ReputationRep:
    The SNP should no where near these debates as they only represent scotland not the uk and the same goes for other parties not standing in the rest of the uk

ReputationRep:
    David Cameron and the Conservative Party are running scared. They've failed on immigration, failed on the deficit, we've seen the longest fall in living standards since records began, the sharpest drop in NHS patient satisfaction levels and the longest NHS waiting times since records began.

He knows he'll get slaughtered by Miliband as he does regularly during PMQs, and this time, he won't be able to go all red-faced and spout soundbites, backed up by planted questions from Tory backbenchers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    Don't understand why he wouldn't want the debates.
    100% due to Farage. It would be a bloodbath. Cameron is a coward and is risking the entire election by not taking the opportunity to hammer Miliband in the most populist format possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by She-Ra)
    *Breaking news*

Cameron has claimed that he will not take part in the live debates planned in the run up to election unless the Green Party are also included.

BBC have quoted Cameron as saying that he would be "quite happy for there to be no debates at all" during the campaign.

So far, Labour, Lib Dems, Conservatives and UKIP are due to take part.

Do you think the Green Party need to be involved?

What's the reasoning behind the PM not wanting to take part? :holmes:

News story here
    I agree 100% with Cameron on these *****y debates & attention seeking UKIP will use it to ***** about immigration ( no other policies for them to talk about) I'm glad Cameron's doing this to include the Greens they have more power than UKIP they definitely deserve a voice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheElvenQueen)
    I agree 100% with Cameron on these *****y debates & attention seeking UKIP will use it to ***** about immigration ( no other policies for them to talk about) I'm glad Cameron's doing this to include the Greens they have more power than UKIP they definitely deserve a voice.
    They have power than UKIP? Really?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    While I support having the Greens in the debates, Cameron really his own personal gain in mind for wanting them to take part.

First, he realises there's a lot of support for them to be included, so is trying to look good in calling for them to be there.

Second, it's better for him if the debates don't go ahead as it helps to keep is poor record in office that bit quieter with fewer direct challenges. This call to 'include the Greens or else I'll pull out' increases the chances of the debates not happening at all, playing in to Cameron's hands.

Finally, if the debates do happen, the hope will be for the left wing vote to become more split, with the Greens taking votes from Labour, giving the Conservatives a better chance at keeping marginal seats.

Overall, I'm fast losing faith in the debates at all, as they are simply becoming a tool for politicians to try and manipulate the public. Either the debate format needs taking out of the hands of politicians, with an independent group deciding the format and insisting the relevant people take part, or else they should be scraped entirely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AstroNandos)
    They have power than UKIP? Really?
    Yep the Greens have more MPs and actually have a plan unlike UKIP Nigel even admitted he didn't want to be PM & its attention for immigration.

ReputationRep:
    Surely the SNP and Plaid problem could be fixed by having separate debates in Scotland and Wales for the respective party leaders?

I mean what's the point in Cameron and Milliband debating with Sturgeon, or giving Sturgeon airtime when 90% odd of the people voting or watching can't vote for her party.

Also I think Greens are more likely to take votes from Lib Dems than Labour.

ReputationRep:
    I think its essential that the Greens are included in any televised debate! After all, they are about the same size as UKIP and thats pretty impressive considering UKIP have only grown as much as they have due to unrelenting and biased media coverage towards them over the past couple of years.

Bringing the Greens in will balance up the debates, which will otherwise be dominated by centre and right-wing parties. It'll also hopefully take some attention away from the age-old immigration debate (which has just blown up due to scaremongering media reports over the past few years) and shine some light onto the currently hugely overlooked issue of the environment and climate change.

My gripe with today's story about Cameron is that he is only highlighting it to damage labour support and bring gain to his party.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)

They've already taken most of them!
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by TheElvenQueen)
    Yep the Greens have more MPs and actually have a plan unlike UKIP Nigel even admitted he didn't want to be PM & its attention for immigration.
    Sadly not any more.

UKIP have two MPs to the Greens 1. UKIP have more MEPs than the Greens (24 to 3). Even in councils, UKIP have about 370 councilors to the Greens 170.

The only place I can see the Greens coming out on top is the fact they make up the largest party and form the minority administration in Brighton and Hove, where as UKIP don't come close to such a position anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    Surely the SNP and Plaid problem could be fixed by having separate debates in Scotland and Wales for the respective party leaders?

I mean what's the point in Cameron and Milliband debating with Sturgeon, or giving Sturgeon airtime when 90% odd of the people voting or watching can't vote for her party.

Why should what from the polls could be the biggest party in Scotland be discluded

Equal partners in the union and all that ****e

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B-FJL3)
    There should be no TV debates at all, given that they added almost nothing of any value to the last election. Instead we had the three leaders all trotting out their usual spiel and trying to score cheap points off each other, rather than actually convincing the public that they had sincere and sound ideas or principles to offer.

They are simply an opportunity for the party PR men to go into overdrive, unleashing a load of specious drivel at the audience and forcing the leaders into artificial, awkward looking behaviour, like making Gordon Brown smile, or Alex Salmond suddenly walk forward from behind his lectern as if he were Moses delivering the Ten Commandments.

The senior journalists presiding over them get off on the whole thing as they get to play the aloof & patrician-like chairman, finding out the "truth" for the good of the people, and generally inflating their own egos whilst failing spectacularly to get a clear answer out of any of the leaders. Naturally the various TV channels love it because they get to fill a slot in their timetable with a guaranteed ratings winner.

Conclusion: it's reducing elections to a TV talent show rather than actually finding out anything of substance. A test of who's best at getting tarted up for the cameras and showing enough thigh to titillate the public into voting for them.
    This is so true :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhJustSomeGuy)
    Why should what from the polls could be the biggest party in Scotland be discluded

Because no one in England can vote for them.
    And because 90% odd who watch and vote will be English.

They should have separate debates in Scotland with the leaders of all the respective parties there.

ReputationRep:
    Because no one in England can vote for them.
    And because 90% odd who watch and vote will be English.

They should have separate debates in Scotland with the leaders of all the respective parties there.
    So what? these are not the English debates its for the entire UK. The SNP run for seats in the UK parliamen,t where they field candidates is irrelevant.

Disclude what is probably going to be the biggest party in Scotland and you'll only disillusion more Scots with this horrid union.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    He probably doesn't really want to be in the deabtes in the first place, inclusion of the greens has the potential to split the Labour vote.

The thing is, his justification is flawed, he says that the Greens, as a minor party, should be allowed in because other minor parties are, even though there are no minor parties in the debates. Lab and Con are, obviously, major parties; Lib Dems have enough historical significance and are still expected to win plenty of seats and are still a major party; UKIP has been upgraded to a major party since they're polling consistently in the high teens and had in excess of 30% of the vote in the EU elections.

I suppose I could now go on to say ' so, will party a, b, C,...' '''Y,Z be there ? they're all minor patios too.'

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree with the Greens but despite that Natalie Bennett comes across as genuine and reasonable, which can't be said of many political figueheads. I don't see why they shouldn't be part of the debate.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by OhJustSomeGuy)

As said by Born blue, if the SNP want a debate they get one arranged on Scottish TV between the Scottish party leaders, same for NI

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    As said by Born blue, if the SNP want a debate they get one arranged on Scottish TV between the Scottish party leaders, same for NI

Posted from TSR Mobile

Right the because the main one is not for us. Its for England...

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.