Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got any example PS for STEM subjects? Or advice in general for it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    Would anyone be interested in seeing the personal statement I wrote for UNIQ last year? I'm not sure how helpful it'd be but I'd be happy to send it to anyone who's interested. It's actually quite embarrassing looking back at it!
    If you could be so kind as to send me your PS too, I'd appreciate it greatly. Thank you so much for offering!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    Would anyone be interested in seeing the personal statement I wrote for UNIQ last year? I'm not sure how helpful it'd be but I'd be happy to send it to anyone who's interested. It's actually quite embarrassing looking back at it!
    I'd love to!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sovereignty)
    I'm interested in applying, but I achieved bad GCSEs (only 1A*, mostly As and a few Bs). However, I completed these in only one year. Of course it's worth applying, but does anyone think I'll actually have a chance of getting in?

Thanks for any help!
    (Original post by Abi790)
    I would actually disagree, I met people there with those sorts of grades. Some were on the reserve lists but did ultimately end up getting a place.
    I think the way UNIQ uses is GCSEs is primarily looking at the number of A* grades. I heard talk of changing that this year, to also include A grades.

But whatever they do use - you may as well apply, you've got nothing to loose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by exo97)
    Should I mention things I have done for charity, doing DofE, sports etc or should I leave this out and focus purely on the learning aspect in my personal statement?
    Hey exo! I was advised to try and keep it almost 100% academic. You have a very small space to fit all of this into, remember! Also, they're not going to be particularly interested in those types of things for this course. The main thing to get across is the fact that you have an intense interest in your chosen subject, that's what they'll be looking for when choosing applicants for the school, so give them what they want!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyricalvibe)
    Has anyone got any example PS for STEM subjects? Or advice in general for it?
    I have my physics one if you, or anyone else, fancies it? PM me

ReputationRep:
    Just posting again if anyone who is looking to apply for Classics, if they want to read my personal statement (although it's a little more geared to the English course) or ask about what we did, just drop me a message!
    Also, speaking as someone who never had a chance to study Classics before or learn Greek/Latin to GCSE and I still got a place on UNIQ, I'd say no matter what your subject is, if your grades are good for your school to just go for it. The worst that can happen is you won't go, which is what would happen if you didn't apply anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenuinemisspelt)
    Just posting again if anyone who is looking to apply for Classics, if they want to read my personal statement (although it's a little more geared to the English course) or ask about what we did, just drop me a message!
    Also, speaking as someone who never had a chance to study Classics before or learn Greek/Latin to GCSE and I still got a place on UNIQ, I'd say no matter what your subject is, if your grades are good for your school to just go for it. The worst that can happen is you won't go, which is what would happen if you didn't apply anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I would love to take a look at your application! Everyone on TSR is so helpful!! Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Since they allow us to apply to two different subjects, should we adapt our PS to both options or just our preferred option? I'm currently thinking of applying for PPE and Economics and Management.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackdiamond97)
    Since they allow us to apply to two different subjects, should we adapt our PS to both options or just our preferred option? I'm currently thinking of applying for PPE and Economics and Management.
    That's a good question! I was wondering that too. Anyone have any advice regarding this?

~bump~

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd say focus on the course you want most to get into, then a sentence or two on your second choice. It worked for me - I didn't get into the English school and only mentioned self teaching a tiny bit of Latin for Classics but I got into that choice. But in all likelihood your second choice should relate loosely to your first one and Economics fits nicely with PPE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Definitely do not write your Personal Statement for both options. They explicitly wrote this on their website last year, I don't know if it's still there. Their reasoning last year was that it's very unlikely that you'll be given your second option (for the vast majority of people it'll either be their first choice or a rejection) so you should make sure you maximise your chance of actually getting in in the first place by using the space to explain why your first choice is the subject you want, rather than wasting space on an option you'll almost certainly not get.

ReputationRep:
    I attended the UNIQ Theology summer school last year and have an offer for Theology and Religion, so if anyone has any questions feel free to ask 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for Maths this year - I go to a grammar school but I did my GCSEs at a comprehensive (grades in profile), so I'm hoping to get through on those.
    The personal statement is not going well for me - I've given it to three teachers to read, all of whom gave completely contradictory advice. Would anyone on here mind having a look at it? I intend to get my application in by the end of the month, but that's looking unlikely.

To clarify - is it utterly pointless putting in anything about DofE?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BanoffeeGuy)
    Hey exo! I was advised to try and keep it almost 100% academic. You have a very small space to fit all of this into, remember! Also, they're not going to be particularly interested in those types of things for this course. The main thing to get across is the fact that you have an intense interest in your chosen subject, that's what they'll be looking for when choosing applicants for the school, so give them what they want!
    ^This
    Stick to detailed academic content, its honestly all we care about.
    Personal Statement advice is here: http://www.uniq.ox.ac.uk/personal-statement

(Original post by Krollo)
    Its not something we really take note of to be honest. Its better to use the space to talk about lectures, work experience, books.

ReputationRep:
    I just got a letter about this from my head of year today, she's super keen on having more people from our school go on to Oxbridge more often and although it does seem like an amazing opportunity I'm not sure.
    I got 2A*s, 5As, 3Bs and 1D (although it was in dance so not an academic I am worried about it letting me down), and I know for a fact I got possibly the right best in my year, and maybe third of second best of those that stayed on at my school. We've only ever had 1 Oxford student and 1 Cambridge so I think circumstances look decent for me.
    I think I'd apply for English with History as my second choice but I've had absolutely no guidance on PS before so I really don't know what to write.
    And also, although this may seem silly (I have anxiety so I worry about stupid things like this a lot) but did people have trouble getting around everywhere? I've never been to Oxford but I think my worst nightmare is walking into somewhere late or the wrong place.
    Also if anyone did/applied for English and could tell me what it's like that would be great!
    Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by restless5oul)
    And also, although this may seem silly (I have anxiety so I worry about stupid things like this a lot) but did people have trouble getting around everywhere? I've never been to Oxford but I think my worst nightmare is walking into somewhere late or the wrong place.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hello! Oxford's not a very big place, you'll find your way around easily There are maps EVERYWHERE as well (the perks of it being quite a tourist hotspot I suppose) so you can tell where you are and where you need to go without much trouble. Also, I wouldn't worry about that 'D'! For english/history applications Oxford require you to sit an admissions test, and then possibly have an interview as well. It's these things that they look at when deciding whether or not to give you a place, alongside AS grades obviously. But a strong score in those would easily cancel out the odd anomalous grade at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BanoffeeGuy)
    Hello! Oxford's not a very big place, you'll find your way around easily There are maps EVERYWHERE as well (the perks of it being quite a tourist hotspot I suppose) so you can tell where you are and where you need to go without much trouble. Also, I wouldn't worry about that 'D'! For english/history applications Oxford require you to sit an admissions test, and then possibly have an interview as well. It's these things that they look at when deciding whether or not to give you a place, alongside AS grades obviously. But a strong score in those would easily cancel out the odd anomalous grade at GCSE.
    Thanks so much! I didn't know that about admissions tests for English and History I thought that was only for STEM subjects. So that's really useful thanks ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krollo)
    I'm applying for Maths this year - I go to a grammar school but I did my GCSEs at a comprehensive (grades in profile), so I'm hoping to get through on those.
    The personal statement is not going well for me - I've given it to three teachers to read, all of whom gave completely contradictory advice. Would anyone on here mind having a look at it? I intend to get my application in by the end of the month, but that's looking unlikely.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I really don't think the personal statement is looked at that heavily compared to grades. All the successful UNIQ PS I've read are totally different, many not how I would write them at all. I would say however that DofE is pretty pointless for UNIQ (but not necessarily for Uni applications next year). If reading mine (Oncology) would be helpful let me know. (Even though looking back it was awful).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by restless5oul)
    Thanks so much! I didn't know that about admissions tests for English and History I thought that was only for STEM subjects. So that's really useful thanks ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No worries, yeh for english it's the ELAT and for history it's the HAT. Get started early!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.