Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you leave your partner if they didn't want intercourse? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Thats why I left my ex although I wouldnt say we were properly properly serious, we tried a couple of times but then I gave up on him, he gave up on himself though.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I feel so young and inexperienced oh life

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the reasons why and whether it's just temporary or not.

ReputationRep:
    As long as it was something which could eventually be overcome (STI tests/lots of lube and patience for potential pain), then no.

If we were never ever ever going to have intercourse....then that would be really difficult. I don't know what I'd do, but it wouldn't be an easy decision either way.

(Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    Hopefully you've had your HPV vaccines by now?

You're entirely right that this guy's being irresponsible, and you're right to be worried about STIs but there's a reason they call it "safe sex". It is possible to minimise the risk of STI transmission, but it is simply a risk associated with having sex. You're right: even when using condoms, STIs can be transmitted, but by and large, you're safe as long as you're responsible. Everyone has had a condom break on them, or know someone who's had it happen. The best thing you can do is educate yourself and know how to avoid it: it's still possible to have casual sex safely, and obviously the risk with a long-term monogamous partner who's tested negatively is incredibly small. I think yours is quite a normal "phobia" to have, but there's no reason to let this stop you from enjoying sex with a partner!

It may be worth seeing your GP about your pain: this sort of thing does have a serious negative effect on people's sex lives, and if you're struggling to insert tampons, it may be a bad sign. Like Eliza mentioned, some girls suffer from severe vaginismus and struggle to insert anything at all, but it's something that can be worked on, and something sexual therapy can help with, if you want to have sex in the future and struggle with this sort of thing.
    Thanks. I'm actually too old for the hpv vaccine I'm inexperienced with sex even though I'm way too old for the vaccine ha. I was looking up ways to get it without having to pay as I can't afford it but they don't give it to people my age as it's not recommended for some reason. I've not had intercourse but still because I'm out of the age range I won't be able to get it. I'm not struggling to insert tampons but it does hurt as they go in (it's fine once in) and I'm sure nothing larger than them will fit in : / I'm not keen on the idea of intercourse mainly because of sti's as I said plus I doubt it would do anything for me it would just be for the guys benefit. I would be more willing to try if I knew he had no sti's but it's not really the norm to ask people to get tested it can offend people.

ReputationRep:
    I'd try to get to the reason why they don't want it, then work from there if they're up for it :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kangie)
    No because I wouldn't be in a relationship with someone just for sex, I also like hugs and kisses and just being with the person makes me happy.
    Bad logic mate. That's like me saying I don't only buy a car for it's brakes...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm not keen on the idea of intercourse mainly because of sti's as I said plus I doubt it would do anything for me it would just be for the guys benefit. I would be more willing to try if I knew he had no sti's but it's not really the norm to ask people to get tested it can offend people.
    You sound really young, if you don't want sex because of STIs then you don't want sex period.

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe how many people are saying stuff along the lines "I love the person for who they are not for sex". What has that got to do with anything? If you don't have a desire for sex in your entire life then that is the reason. not that a particular person can remove your innate desire for sex.

ReputationRep:
    Nah sounds like she'd be just my type.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by xylas)
    You sound really young, if you don't want sex because of STIs then you don't want sex period.
    It's because I've never had sex before I'm naive to it ha, I'm definately not young 'period'. : p Though I still get ID'd!

(Original post by xylas)
    I can't believe how many people are saying stuff along the lines "I love the person for who they are not for sex". What has that got to do with anything? If you don't have a desire for sex in your entire life then that is the reason. not that a particular person can remove your innate desire for sex.
    Its just people's opinions, if you would want to leave because of no sex it's fine, nothing wrong there and your reason would be no less valid. : /

ReputationRep:
    It's because I've never had sex before I'm naive to it ha, I'm definately not young 'period'. : p Though I still get ID'd!
    Fair enough but that's not normal if you are fully mature as you say you are. Sex is not about finding some 30 year old man to just 'do it with', but finding someone you like and learning things about each other.

ReputationRep:
    100% yes. A relationship without sex is a joke.

ReputationRep:
    Its just people's opinions, if you would want to leave because of no sex it's fine, nothing wrong there and your reason would be no less valid. : /
    No I disagree. Their opinion is that they don't need sex their entire lives. That's fair enough, they are entitled to that opinion as strange as it may sound to some.

Their reason, on the other hand, is not that if they love the person they will no longer have a desire for sex which is illogical. The real reason has something to do with a lack of desire in the first place.

(Original post by xylas)
    Fair enough but that's not normal if you are fully mature as you say you are. Sex is not about finding some 30 year old man to just 'do it with', but finding someone you like and learning things about each other.
    Whats not normal, finding a man to just do it with? I've never done this I want to make sure that I fully know a person before sex as it's very intimate to me. You are right it isn't normal to just find someone and do it with them I agree it's not what sex is about.

In fact this is why I've never had sex Ive never 'just done it' with them I want to know them properly.

ReputationRep:
    Whats not normal, finding a man to just do it with? I've never done this I want to make sure that I fully know a person before sex as it's very intimate to me. You are right it isn't normal to just find someone and do it with them I agree it's not what sex is about.

In fact this is why I've never had sex Ive never 'just done it' with them I want to know them properly.
    No it's not normal to not want sex because of a phobia of STIs.

(Original post by xylas)
    No it's not normal to not want sex because of a phobia of STIs.
    ah ok, I know it's not normal that's why there's tons of sti's knocking about, many people don't worry themselves much about getting/transmitting sti's, one of them seemingly being the man who I'm on about in my thread lol.

Of course there's risks in everything and it's a little over the top to refrain from sex totally because of possible viruses. It's a bit like never flying abroad because of a flying phobia. I'm particularly worried about this guy in particular though as he doesn't seem to care about using protection plus has had many short term relationships and sexual partners (I've known him for years). So I think my worrying is a little rational but at the same time I do go way over the top when it comes to health issues (which yes isn't that normal).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I'm actually too old for the hpv vaccine I'm inexperienced with sex even though I'm way too old for the vaccine ha. I was looking up ways to get it without having to pay as I can't afford it but they don't give it to people my age as it's not recommended for some reason. I've not had intercourse but still because I'm out of the age range I won't be able to get it. I'm not struggling to insert tampons but it does hurt as they go in (it's fine once in) and I'm sure nothing larger than them will fit in : / I'm not keen on the idea of intercourse mainly because of sti's as I said plus I doubt it would do anything for me it would just be for the guys benefit. I would be more willing to try if I knew he had no sti's but it's not really the norm to ask people to get tested it can offend people.
    It absolutely is the norm to ask people when they last got tested/whether they've been tested recently/since their last partner etc, at least where it's a new partner and the person being asked is known to sleep around. It's certainly not something you skirt too much around asking if you're worried - and it's not something anyone known for being quite sexually active is going to actually get offended over, especially if it's an inexperienced person asking.

But either way, you sound a little vulnerable, OP. Don't take anyone's word for anything when just starting out - make sure you use a condom if you end up doing anything. To be fair I think it's very normal to be very worried about protection when just starting out - re. STIs and re. potential pregnancy. It took my first sexual partner and I a while to stop using condoms, even though I was on the pill, because we were both that worried about me getting pregnant.

ReputationRep:
    ah ok, I know it's not normal that's why there's tons of sti's knocking about, many people don't worry themselves much about getting/transmitting sti's, one of them seemingly being the man who I'm on about in my thread lol.

Of course there's risks in everything and it's a little over the top to refrain from sex totally because of possible viruses. It's a bit like never flying abroad because of a flying phobia
    Glad we agree. Also you shouldn't have sex with someone you don't trust.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 13, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.