Turn on thread page Beta

first people to enslave blacks watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Well that video was BS....

Concerning Egyptians and his claim the people are no longer the same people. Actually no Arab population replaced the native Egyptians. Before that? Well the Greeks did not either and you still get Christian Greek enclaves within Egypt. Ethnically speaking the main bulk of the Egyptian people are the same people you saw 1000, 2000 or hell, even 3000 years ago. The only real change in the region was religion.

Concerning the first people to enslave black people..... well it is most likely the same with every single ethnic group out there, generally speaking the first ethnic group to enslave another will be their own. Africans sold slaves to the Arabs and Europeans, that how they got the vast majority of their slaves. White people saw collecting slaves mostly to be above them. Arabs/Muslims while more likely to do so would only generally secure slaves from white nations via piracy and the odd raid, concerning Africans they also mostly brought off native Africans.

This is almost as hilarious as the "professor" in the US who claimed Hannibal was black :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeavyTeddy)
    Not ****ly, as someone else said, Africans have been enslaving other Africans for centuries, certainly before Islam came about. Even when the Muslims came about, it was still other Africans enslaving other Africans and the Arabs and other wealthy Africans would purchase these slaves. Slavery was an entire business. The issue with European slavery was that slavery and inferiority was linked with dark skin, much of which wasn't seen in the Islamic Caliphate or the Roman Empire(in fact, some of the wealthiest and most powerful men in Roman and Islamic history were black e.g. Septimius Severus was the roman emperor and King Mansa Musa of Mali was the richest man to have ever lived). The point is, the trans-atlantic slave trade focused on reducing black people to sub-human and built a legacy to keep them restrained to the lower classes, and in fact is still taking it's toll on the black communities in the US. So no, let's not try to side-step the issue.
    Only point to pull you up on was Septimius Severus.... he was not black or african. He had half roman and half punic or libyan ancestory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanB1991)
    Well that video was BS....

Concerning Egyptians and his claim the people are no longer the same people. Actually no Arab population replaced the native Egyptians. Before that? Well the Greeks did not either and you still get Christian Greek enclaves within Egypt. Ethnically speaking the main bulk of the Egyptian people are the same people you saw 1000, 2000 or hell, even 3000 years ago. The only real change in the region was religion.

Concerning the first people to enslave black people..... well it is most likely the same with every single ethnic group out there, generally speaking the first ethnic group to enslave another will be their own. Africans sold slaves to the Arabs and Europeans, that how they got the vast majority of their slaves. White people saw collecting slaves mostly to be above them. Arabs/Muslims while more likely to do so would only generally secure slaves from white nations via piracy and the odd raid, concerning Africans they also mostly brought off native Africans.

This is almost as hilarious as the "professor" in the US who claimed Hannibal was black :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jim2190)
    Wasn't 100% sure how that video was relevant to my comments....

But fox wasn't really defending itself from claims of bias in that video :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanB1991)
    Only point to pull you up on was Septimius Severus.... he was not black or african. He had half roman and half punic or libyan ancestory.
    My mistake; he was not black, but he was certainly born in Africa and part of his ancestry orginated in Nothern Africa. The general point still stands though, considering there were black merchants, traders etc, that frequented the Roman Empire I would say their colour was not something that restricted their socio-economic standing.

ReputationRep:
    why don't you watch an entire episode of left wing news there is no such thing as left wing news all they do is take conservative stories and look at them from their perspective and then say hey your a racist

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure africans already enslaved eachother before either europe or the islamic world got involved

ReputationRep:
    The issue with European slavery was that slavery and inferiority was linked with dark skin, much of which wasn't seen in the Islamic Caliphate
    actually arabs did generally see black people as inferior. I am currently reading the arabian nights and, while it is obviously not a historical document, it does show the attitudes people had at the time. And those attitudes were very, very racist. That said there were certainly more black people of power then than i slave era america.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucaf)
    actually arabs did generally see black people as inferior. I am currently reading the arabian nights and, while it is obviously not a historical document, it does show the attitudes people had at the time. And those attitudes were very, very racist. That said there were certainly more black people of power then than i slave era america.
    obviously

ReputationRep:
    I'd have thought it would've been black people, unless you're saying Muslims originally went round rounding them up like sheep. For the British empire it was us buying tribal prisoners of war.

ReputationRep:
    My mistake; he was not black, but he was certainly born in Africa and part of his ancestry orginated in Nothern Africa. The general point still stands though, considering there were black merchants, traders etc, that frequented the Roman Empire I would say their colour was not something that restricted their socio-economic standing.
    Main problem today is many people see north african people are black. Ignoring the fact that most native north africans actually have a fairly fair complexion. Some are more closley related with Sami's for example.

There were certain restrictions but they slowly disappeared over time. But this was generally an era where black stereotypes were at their most positive IMO.

(Original post by Snagprophet)
    I'd have thought it would've been black people, unless you're saying Muslims originally went round rounding them up like sheep. For the British empire it was us buying tribal prisoners of war.
    I was under the British Empire in itself specifically was never was involved in the slave trade, it was more merchants selling them to the colonies were it was not specifically outlawed while under British common law (which applied only to the UK) it was illegal. As such making it illlegal for the empire to buy slaves or prisoners.

This is all going off memory, but I think that was the case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NHM713)
    What your saying, comes across like you have no autonomy at all and you live under someone else's rule. What do you mean, you have no control what so ever? Can you not distinguish right from wrong, without a law telling you so?

How can I be responsible for something that happened when I wasn't even born?

ReputationRep:
    I correctly guessed the answer before the page loaded. That says something about the level of hate for Islam.

ReputationRep:
    The Muslim world didn't just enslave Africans, they even enslave the Irish in the 1630s!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sack_of_Baltimore

And the European powers had to fight against the Barbary pirates of North Africa who would capture ships and sell their crews into slavery

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    How can I be responsible for something that happened when I wasn't even born?
    Obviously, your not personally responsible and neither an I, but, everyday you continue not to think about how the people that made your clothes were, treated and your laptop and your phone etc. is probably another day of slavery for someone else. because of our apathy. because of supply and demand. and most likely because of profit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NHM713)
    Obviously, your not personally responsible and neither an I, but, everyday you continue not to think about how the people that made your clothes were, treated and your laptop and your phone etc. is probably another day of slavery for someone else. because of our apathy. because of supply and demand. and most likely because of profit.
    So as long as I think about the people who made my stuff, it will be ok?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    So as long as I think about the people who made my stuff, it will be ok?
    LOL! Don't make me laugh. Simply choose wisely, because every action, has a consequence.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.