Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The bleep test on OASC was indoors. The rest depends on how long you go on the bleep test and how many people are there, we had one super fit guy so got quite a long rest. I would suggest doing the push ups and sit ups as soon as you can after the run just to get used to as little rest as possible. Push-ups come first, make sure you're going as low as possible and exaggerate locking your arms out, they're very strict and on the sit ups start getting used to tapping the very top of you knees with your elbows, fingers on temples.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, i'm due to go to OASC on the 24th Feb! getting pretty nervous..but just wondering if anyone has any general advice for the whole thing? anyone know what the ratio is for how many get through the first day to the interview and fitness? and also what was the ratio of girls to boys at their OASC? i know they recently changed it to the beep test, so im hoping that if you can comfortably do the run in the time..hopefully it is the same ..ish level to pass the MSFT? Most nervous about the push ups ahh and the individual planning? what happens if you just can't figure out a plan in time?
    Trying to practise my SDT calculations..do they come up a lot the first day?

Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    Hey Spick, good luck for the 24th! I was going for the same date but now mine is 10th March.. also pretty nervous!

You should have received an OASC-confirmation email detailing OASC?

The MSFT, I think, is quite different to the run because you don't maintain a nice comfortable pace, so I wouldn't assume a reasonable run time will guarantee you a MSFT pass; definitely practice it at least once before (set up two cones 20m apart, download the bleep test audio online, and boom).

There are different standards you can achieve for the fitness assessment. You need 'Green' overall to pass. The next one up is 'Light Blue'. The requirements differ depending on age and gender however:

Male, Age 17 - 29
    Green = 9.10 - 11.6 MSFT ; 20 - 39 Press-ups ; 35 - 40 Sit-ups
    L. Blue = 11.7 - 15.3 MSFT ; 40 - 59 Press-ups ; 41 - 54 Sit-ups

Female, Age 17-29
    Green = 7.2 - 8.6 MSFT ; 10 - 19 Press-ups ; 32 - 37 Sit-ups
    L. Blue = 8.7 - 11.6 MSFT ; 20 - 29 Press-ups ; 38 - 51 Sit-ups

So if you're worried about press-ups, just aim for 20 in a minute. It's worth noting here that the PTI's are incredibly strict about 'proper form': if your elbows don't lock on press-ups / fingers leave temples on sit-ups it isn't counted, so practice that.

With regards to the planning, SDT is very important however also make sure you practice some examples online (some can be found somewhere in this forum). My only uncertainty here is: how long do you get for the planning (both group and individual)? Is it 20 minutes to prepare you plan, or 1hour? Back to your question, you must have a plan. Obviously the better the plan, the more likely you will score high. If you don't have a plan and present nothing, you will almost certainly fail and be sent home before pt 2 (Fitness, Interview, Medical), so make sure you practice!

Proficiency with SDT will prove invaluable during the Group Planning and Individual planning. Make sure you have them squared away. No idea about the male:female ratio, it changes, but when I went for Aptitude there were about 15 guys and 5 girls there for OASC, which I think is typical. In terms of the ratio for passing through to day 2, the boarding officers don't have an agenda to meet, like "50% cannot pass". If everyone performs to the standard required, everyone will pass through. That being said, some people won't meet the requirements, most likely down to lack of preparation / nerves.

Hope that helps mate, and good luck again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JDT1234)

Proficiency with SDT will prove invaluable during the Group Planning and Individual planning. Make sure you have them squared away. !
    The individual planning should have a table at the bottom of the paper to help you with all of the breakdowns that you could need. The idea isn't to test your SDT, it's to test your planning ...

Just make sure you write everything down, if you get nervous when presenting your plans, ask the boarding officer if you can read from your notes.

With the group planning, the times are only important for supporting or showing flaws in aspects of your plan. It might looks simple to row from A to B but when you do the maths 24 hrs rowing isn't practical. Group planning isn't just about planning, it's your interaction with your team, do you always cave to pressure from dominating members, do you put clever points forward which you can back with logic, can you work in a team?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You have the table but if you've practised them, then the planning will be easier, as you won't have to keep referring to the table. I wouldn't worry about the percentages of people getting through, they don't have a qouta or anything. If you're good enough you'll get in that's it.

I actually found the bleep test easier than the run, was a surprise for me as I thought it was still the treadmill but still comfortably managed the light blue level, having not done the bleep test in 10 years and having a dodgy knee. But obviously everyone is different so definitely practice it if you can.

There were two girls out of sixteen on my OASC. But then I met an OASC group while I was there for my fam and they had five or six girls, so it varies a lot. Just keep plugging at the push ups they will come eventually.

Not coming up with a plan isn't ideal but it's not the end of the world, one girl on my OASC completely read the brief wrong and realised as she went back in but got through to the second day after quickly rethinking it. Again it's just testing how you work under pressure and just keep wading through as it were.

Just got back from my Familiarisation Visit, such an insight about what to expect. Got my boots and shoes issued, with horrible wool/nylon socks you HAVE to wear. 2 months to go, cannot wait.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Have fun! You were on the same Fam visit as a good friend of mine from my board back in Sept (short female brunette from up North - my attempt to not divulge names!).

ReputationRep:
    Hey SGS. Just found out Tuesday that I'm also going to IOT on the 12th April. FAM visit on the 25th Feb! Super excited! Funny reading my OASC report lol, gives you a lot of insight into what you need to improve ect. When did you do OASC?

ReputationRep:
    Hey dude, congrats on getting through. Did my OASC on the 17th January. Yeah it is quite funny, some of my feedback didn't even make sense. Just putting the first coat of Polish on my shoes and got my boots on to wear them in. Keen doesn't even cover it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Congratz Mark! So jelous, hopefully I'll join you in the April intake

Could you elaborate on the feedback? It may give us a decent insight into what the boarding officers are looking for!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.G.S)
    Hey dude, congrats on getting through. Did my OASC on the 17th January. Yeah it is quite funny, some of my feedback didn't even make sense. Just putting the first coat of Polish on my shoes and got my boots on to wear them in. Keen doesn't even cover it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Congratz S.G.S too!

Could you elaborate on the feedback? It may give us a decent insight into what the boarding officers are looking for!

ReputationRep:
    Congratz Mark! So jelous, hopefully I'll join you in the April intake

To be honest mate, it's just a load of rambling! All I can really say is that they're looking for confidence, conviction in your actions to join, reasonable justification for why you do certain sports or keep fit ect, team work but also how you benefit the team and move them forward.
    They flaged me up on my participation in the group exercise but gave me extra credit for my command exercise and team hanger one.
    I don't think anyone's report is the same for obvious reasons but they want to see that you "want" to be there and have the "credible motivation" to succeed in IOT.
    Just do your best and don't try and be fake as they'll see right through it. Good luck brother

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.G.S)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Mate, I can't wait to turn up to my current job in my boots, force the confirmation in the bosses face and walk out haha. Recruitment consultant suited and booted (raf style).
    How was the fam visit?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Congratz S.G.S too!

Google the BARs system, 3+ is what they are looking for

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.G.S)

Just got back from my Familiarisation Visit, such an insight about what to expect. Got my boots and shoes issued, with horrible wool/nylon socks you HAVE to wear. 2 months to go, cannot wait.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You don't have to wear the socks, I wore them for most of term one before I realised the staff really don't care and no one ever checks, as long as you carry them for inspections on ex!

If you do choose to wear them, soak them in fabric conditioner and use plenty when you wash them, as they get cardboard like real quick.

Also, take a large mesh wash bag, as for the first term you'll be sharing machines just to get through it all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

Ive been called forward to attend OASC on the 24th March and I wondered if anybody fresh out of the Selection Board could inform me on it's structure.

Ive watched various videos and done my research but I feel what I have found is dated, asking anybody who has just gone through seems like the best way of finding out the order of events etc..

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickC1)
    Hi Guys,

Ive been called forward to attend OASC on the 24th March and I wondered if anybody fresh out of the Selection Board could inform me on it's structure.

Ive watched various videos and done my research but I feel what I have found is dated, asking anybody who has just gone through seems like the best way of finding out the order of events etc..

Cheers
    The videos, although old, do set the structure out pretty well. Back in the pages of this thread are a bunch of tips mate. Order goes (but can change)...

Meet n greet and dinner plus admin first night

Breakfast, get split into syndicates, group discussion, group planning ex, team hanger, lunch, command tasks, individual planning, eat sleep panic

Breakfast, interviews (if you make it), free time, lunch, gym, home leaving at around 2-4pm

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uopmark)
    The videos, although old, do set the structure out pretty well. Back in the pages of this thread are a bunch of tips mate. Order goes (but can change)...

Meet n greet and dinner plus admin first night

Breakfast, get split into syndicates, group discussion, group planning ex, team hanger, lunch, command tasks, individual planning, eat sleep panic

Breakfast, interviews (if you make it), free time, lunch, gym, home leaving at around 2-4pm

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Cheers mate the videos make it out to very different to how you have just explained it. In the videos it shows the interview coming before some of the exercises and from meeting people that have previously gone through OASC I was always aware that the interview was on the final day in the morning and you went to sleep the previous night not knowing if you had made it to the interview.

Any advice from going through?

ReputationRep:
    Be yourself but exaggerate your positives. If your loud and chatty, apply that to your leadership potential. My report said I was calmly confident in that I kept calm under pressure and led the team that way. If your a weaker communicator, don't try and be mega articulate as you'll probably stumble words.
    If you can show you have the desire, willingness and confidence to get through IOT then just do your best in all elements and don't hold back.
    Oh, and don't fail your fitness 👍

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that!! that was really useful!! Good luck on your OASC in March!
    Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, good luck on your OASC guys. It's a blast!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.