Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZolaCFC25)
    Apologies for answering this in numbers, but got an op tomorrow so cba'd paragraphing.

1. Not all bodybuilders are on steroids, and even if they are, it doesn't disprove the use of whey.
    2. I know pro athletes who use whey protein. And I think it's obvious that loads do, without bothering to look it up.
    3. I agree that it's probably not that healthy and that's why I don't have much, but it's not the end of the world. Cheap meat, other additives, pollution etc are bad too. If you need calories/protein though, as lots of people do (again, not me as I have no problem eating enough), and the health aspect doesn't concern you, then why not?
    4. Protein shakes don't make you fat; excess calories do. If anything, some protein powder may pass through undigested if you have too much.
    Interesting, I like your ouput.

In bold btw protein doesn't go through undigested as the molecules are too big to fit through the urinary membrane barriers, excess protein is one of the reasons whey protein can be really bad for you if you don't use it all.

(Original post by illusionz)
    I know a GB youth athlete who was told on no uncertain terms if he wanted to be competitive there were two things he needed to take. Protein and creatine (assuming a creatine responder).

Whey is healthy and beneficial. It's exactly the same stuff that the NHS prescribes patients who are unable to get adequate protein from their food, for whatever reason.

You're clearly a troll so do us all a favour and **** off.
    :rofl:

Goodbye :hand:

(Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Poor show

You came, you tried to antagonise, you failed. Pretty weak attempt at flaming tbh
    Nice input into the argument, wasn't flaming you're just mad that my opinion differs from yours.

I never asked you this but do you actually use whey protein? I'm 99% sure on the answer here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schrödingers Cat)
    In bold btw protein doesn't go through undigested as the molecules are too big to fit through the urinary membrane barriers,
    Undigested things don't end up as urine anyway man. That's like biology 101. Or I guess biology #2. Hahahaha.

ReputationRep:
    Let's all just take a moment here to recognize the fact that the one person who is against using whey protein also thinks that undigested food comes out your peehole.

ReputationRep:
    It's cool guys, we're being lectured by a know it all on his gap year who also thinks lifting weights is worse than bodyweight exercises.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmashConcept)
    Undigested things don't end up as urine anyway man. That's like biology 101. Or I guess biology #2. Hahahaha.
    Undigested/unprocessed same thing, as we're not specifically talking about the ileum or duodenum specific jargon is not required

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illusionz)
    It's cool guys, we're being lectured by a know it all on his gap year who also thinks lifting weights is worse than bodyweight exercises.
    Didn't say that.

ReputationRep:
    Undigested/unprocessed same thing, as we're not specifically talking about the ileum or duodenum specific jargon is not required
    Hahahaha what are you even on about?

ReputationRep:
    Hahahaha what are you even on about?
    Surprise surprise you don't have a clue about biology

ReputationRep:
    Surprise surprise you don't have a clue about biology
    Got a degree in it. You are wrong about everything you have said in this thread.

ReputationRep:
    Got a degree in it. You are wrong about everything you have said in this thread.
    Lmao, yet you don't know what the ileum or duodenum is? What sort of Biology have you studied?

Right.... so what was wrong? The size of protein molecules or my opinion that whey protein is unnecessary and isn't beneficial?

Or is it just my opinion that you don't like because you drink whey protein?

ReputationRep:
    Lmao, yet you don't know what the ileum or duodenum is? What sort of Biology have you studied?
    Of course I know what they are. They're not relevant to you thinking that undigested food comes out your ****.

Right.... so what was wrong? The size of protein molecules or my opinion that whey protein is unnecessary and isn't beneficial?
    The protein molecules are digested in your........ wait for it... digestive system. They don't just float around in your blood, full sized, then find they can't get out because they're too big for the excretory system and then..... I don't know what you think happens to them after that lmao :rofl:

But yes you're wrong about the other thing as well.

Or is it just my opinion that you don't like because you drink whey protein?
    I don't really drink whey protein.

ReputationRep:
    -
    For someone who studies a hard science at degree level you are painfully poor at linking appropriate articles/videos.

Gotta work on that man.

You also seem to think milk is great for your bones. Hehehe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TorpidPhil)
    For someone who studies a hard science at degree level you are painfully poor at linking appropriate articles/videos.

Gotta work on that man.

He doesn't study anything at degree level according to his profile :confused:

Also milk is not exactly bad for your bones...

ReputationRep:

There's a difference between being negligible for bone health and being actively beneficial or being actively bad. He claimed earlier that they were actively beneficial in a non-negligible manner or at least insinuating such. I don't see the proof of such.

ReputationRep:
    Of course I know what they are. They're not relevant to you thinking that undigested food comes out your ****.

The protein molecules are digested in your........ wait for it... digestive system. They don't just float around in your blood, full sized, then find they can't get out because they're too big for the excretory system and then..... I don't know what you think happens to them after that lmao :rofl:

But yes you're wrong about the other thing as well.

I don't really drink whey protein.
    Talking about excess protein but read this anyway:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/50...-much-protein/
    http://www.humankinetics.com/excerpt...es-use-protein

What other thing?

Good :ahee:

Gotta work on that man.

Since when am I at degree level?

Lmao, ok so this is interesting and I've only just done a little research around the subject but can you explain your reasoning behind your claim that milk isn't good for us?

Here's a little reading for you:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritio...um-full-story/

ReputationRep:

There's a difference between being negligible for bone health and being actively beneficial or being actively bad. He claimed earlier that they were actively beneficial in a non-negligible manner or at least insinuating such. I don't see the proof of such.
    While you're here Mr biologist what's your view on alcohol consumption?

ReputationRep:
    Talking about excess protein but read this anyway:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/50...-much-protein/
    http://www.humankinetics.com/excerpt...es-use-protein

What other thing?

Good :ahee:

Since when am I at degree level?
    The second link recommends over 200 grams of protein! Most people won't get close to that without supplements lol

ReputationRep:
    The second link recommends over 200 grams of protein! Most people won't get close to that without supplements lol
    No it doesn't?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMG44)
    This is a sample of my daily diet, I could eat more if required:
    is that much protein not dangerous, like swear to god there doesn't appear to be anyone else on the internet eating above 180g and even that's rare.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Indeed it does

Keep your protein consumption to approximately 35 percent of your daily calorie needs, recommends the Institute of Medicine. Protein provides 4 calories per gram. Therefore, individuals consuming 2,500 calories daily should aim for about 219 grams of protein, those who consume 2,000 calories a day should avoid eating more than 175 grams of protein and individuals following 1,600-calorie diets should consume about 140 grams of protein daily.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.