Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

Go to Stafford, the best uni there is.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I had a change of mind and decided to firm Imperial whilst putting Warwick as my insurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SkyWarrior)
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I had a change of mind and decided to firm Imperial whilst putting Warwick as my insurance.
    Well done! I used to study at Cambridge and I would say it is a place with very arrogant people. Not number one people but arrogance significantly dominates at Cambridge today. The quality of education is the same (if not worse) than in other top institutions. Employment prospects for Cambridge graduands are not fantastic. Many employers prefer to take graduates from other institutions as they know Cambridge students become very arrogant and useless. Possibly the Cambridge brand still remains popular abroad but in the UK among employers it is somewhat ****.

ReputationRep:
    Glad you managed to make a decision that suits you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Warwick is such a strong, prestigious uni, however, you don't want to miss out Cambridge for the world... do you? Do whatever you feel is best for you! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SkyWarrior)
    Hi people of TSR.

I applied for Natural Sciences (physical) at Churchill College (Chemistry everywhere else) and got an offer today. This really surprised me as I wasn't expecting it at all (better candidates got rejected at my school). However, I never wanted to go to Cambridge and the only reason that I applied was because of parental/school pressure as well as a small part of me.

I do have offers from other universities and I really like Warwick and want to go to there (AAB, although top 5 for chemistry in some league tables and I really like their new labs as well) and also an offer from Imperial (A*AA) but from my horrible interview/applicant visit day I don't want to go there anymore really.

I don't want to go to Cambridge for a whole lot of reasons, although Natural Sciences and flexibility is something that is nice although not essential. My offer is also A*A*AA with the A* in Chemistry and Further Maths with As in Maths and Physics. I highly doubt that I can get an A* in Further Maths. Maths is possible but only because I sat C3 early in Year 12 but feels irrelevant now.

My parents, a couple of my friends (and probably my school too) think that I should go with my parents pretty adamant. I understand that it is my decision but I'd like some advice as I don't think I can just reject Cambridge and go to Warwick and everything will work out nicely.

Thank you for any replies.

Hello, I have applied to study History at Cambridge following pressure from school and parents after getting 4As at AS Level...
    However, I would like to go to Warwick yet I am scared about giving up a place at Cambridge (well... I haven't gone to the interview yet so it's unclear... or rather I haven't received an interview date) and truth be told, I really hope they say no because I feel like I cannot reject a place there, yet I know of so many people who have dropped out from depression/sickness or are generally not happy there.

Not to put you off but someone I know does Natural Sciences at Cambridge and I know that they have CRIED on the phone to their father because they do not understand what's going on and do not feel completely supported there.

My personal reason for not wanting to go is because I feel that I will not enjoy my time there and I do not want to look back and think that I have wasted three years of my live sucking the fun out of a subject I thoroughly enjoy (yes, I do enjoy history).

I am predicted 3A*s at A2 Level (not going to happen xD) and I feel like Warwick's offer of AAA for me is much more attainable and my friend who goes there loves it and urges me to go on.

It will not be the end of the world if you do not pick Cambridge but, if youre struggling from parental pressure like me then please do send a message along and we can have a chat about social expectations from high achievers.

(Just do what you want, I have increasingly realised that following what's expected of me has always led me down a path I eventually end up running away from because it simply isn't ME)

But hey, no matter what you choose, make sure its YOUR choice

- A little longer than what I usually write but I seem to be quite passionate about the topic

Oops, just read what you've decided xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DailyMailIsALiar)
    It is boasting though. It's quite a standard, 'I wasn't expecting this to happen to me, OMG i'm so happy!!' thread. If the OP wanted to seek proper advice, they would consult their parents or their school teachers, not strangers off of the internet. If they genuinely wanted to act upon the advice of someone they hadn't even met, perhaps they are not as clever as their Cambridge offer makes out.
    The thing is, people ask stangers for advice as we have no social obligation to lie to them, anyone who they know would be giving a biased opinion. So if you dont like the question

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.