Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slim and proud)
    My manager at that time was such a ****, with a chip on his shoulder. He only got into that role because he was a walking database with the technical know how, though really lacking in people skills.
    You will find techies sometimes have a blunt and honest attitude.

For example If they tell you "that project is big and complex and will take profesionals months to implement having a crack at it yourself will just be a waste of time" then although it might not be the answer you want to hear. They mean it.

Insulting and talking down to them doesn't help matters so watch out for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by INTit)
    You will find techies sometimes have a blunt and honest attitude.

For example If they tell you "that project is big and complex and will take profesionals months to implement having a crack at it yourself will just be a waste of time" then although it might not be the answer you want to hear. They mean it.
    True. As highlighted by my communication with this planto chap. They tend to be on the aspergers spectrum.

Insulting and talking down to them doesn't help matters so watch out for that.
    True, good advice. I tend to get carried away and forget that I need to be sensitive. At least I wouldn't necessarily have to deal with the developers directly if I were to get investment for my idea.

That said, I do have a couple of programming associates at work, who I get on well with. One of them has come to my rescue a few times when Java scripts haven't worked or when macros have stopped working.

On the other hand, impressing techies is really not in my agenda. I don't have the patience for people with attitude.

ReputationRep:
    True. As highlighted by my communication with this planto chap. They tend to be on the aspergers spectrum.

True, good advice. I tend to get carried away and forget that I need to be sensitive. At least I wouldn't necessarily have to deal with the developers directly if I were to get investment for my idea.

That said, I do have a couple of programming associates at work, who I get on well with. One of them has come to my rescue a few times when Java scripts haven't worked or when macros have stopped working.

On the other hand, impressing techies is really not in my agenda. I don't have the patience for people with attitude.
    But you won't/are very unlikely to get investment, haven't you been reading what Planto wrote?

Also what happened to you being the one to develop the app - first you just wanted an app you were going to develop yourself, now you seem to want an entire business model, make up your mind.

Oh and if you keep downtalking to developers kindly piss off as I am one such app developer, I design and develop apps for Android, do not speak as though we're something unpleasant "at least I won't have to associate with developers". FFS we're goddamn human beings too you arrogant idiot regardless of whether we have aspergers/autism or not - which by the way a lot don't have, its just a stereotype.

Maybe instead of making generalisations about our attitudes you should first check yours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planto)
    I actually think I was rather graceful about the way I put things (and I was being genuine, not passive-aggressive, in my suggestion to get experience in the field first and forget about money for the foreseeable future) until you immediately responded in a hostile, self-important and rather ignorant manner.
    You thought you were graceful, I didn't, it's subjective really. What you think is an appropriate way to communicate with others who are not on your level might be off putting to some.

My attitude towards you is purely because I give as good as I get when I communicate with people. I tend to mirror communication.

Maybe you have heard what I was saying before (and maybe there's a reason for that), but your OP didn't exactly pitch you as a well-researched, intuitive entrepreneur - a cut above all of the other clueless 10-years-too-late-web-2.0-bandwagoners - looking for the final pieces of the puzzle. Let's remind ourselves of it:
    I did not pitch myself as a whatever impression or so called 'wannabe entrepenuer' you've conjured up in your head and neither was it my intention to pitch myself in that way.

Insightful stuff. Continued with:

Huh, sounds like you were actually talking about learning how to implement the app yourself. This is back when you were being sensible and realistic and acknowledging your inexperience; before you suddenly became a well-informed software/business professional the minute someone questioned whether starting out in software with the immediate intention of making a profit was a worthwhile endeavour.
    Yes, my intention was and still is to implement this app myself because I want to learn how to. However, as others have so kindly and sensibly highlighted, this is something I will not be able to do myself and will require venture capital in order for me to get the right resources and connections.

You don't need to concern yourself with my potential - I'm doing okay. No chips on my shoulders. The "repressed and angry in-house software dev" is a bit of an old-fashioned pastiche.
    I'm not concerned about your potential and there's really no need for you to be defending yourself, it's none of my business really. However, I'm fascinated at how you are so concerned with providing your opinion, despite the obvious lack of understanding between yourself and I....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonnyXDA)
    X
    Oops sorry, didn't mean to piss you off :rolleyes:.

Anyway, you clicked on my thread, I didn't make you click.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not concerned about your potential and there's really no need for you to be defending yourself, it's none of my business really.
    Not defending a thing. You attacked - I told you not to concern yourself.

However, I'm fascinated at how you are so concerned with providing your opinion, despite the obvious lack of understanding between yourself and I....
    There is a degree of irony here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planto)
    Not defending a thing. You attacked - I told you not to concern yourself.

There is a degree of irony here.
    Oh I attacked you? Really?

Like I said. I tend to mirror communication

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.