Yup sorry i'm new here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Original post by maxi365
Yup sorry i'm new here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No worries, welcome to TSR!
Original post by Anonynous
This statement is generally reserved for one of two categories of individuals: The underclass and those who have under-performed in formal education.

At my old school, we briefly had an Oxford graduate who worked in finance, but decided to go into teaching instead. We've had many teachers who used to work in finance, but left the City because it was 'boring' or that the environment just wasn't right for them.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'd rather my job was something I enjoy. What's hard to understand about that?
I really find it hard to understand why people go for low paid jobs when they seem to have the intellectual capability to aim for industries which are relatively well-paid.

I see students who have the credentials and the profile potential to enter industries such as law, investment banking being etc.. but instead choose to go into places such as teaching. Are they just lazy?

So if you do intend to get out of bed for a job that pays less than £50k a year and you're smart (i.e flawless grades/credible uni/strong ECs), why? what's your motivation?

inb4, "it's my passion".

I'd like to become a teacher when I graduate. My sister earns £100k year working for Tesco. She's in work 9AM to 5PM every day and only has 2 weeks holiday a year.

Having been to so many places abroad (as a student), I don't think I could sacrifice my freedom by being constrained by a job like my sister. I value my freedom above money.

While I do enjoy teaching, I'm also attracted to the long holidays and although £30k is nothing to you, it's certainly enough to live in a nice apartment somewhere and go abroad travelling many times throughout the year.
Original post by Uncouth body
I'd like to become a teacher when I graduate. My sister earns £100k year working for Tesco. She's in work 9AM to 5PM every day and only has 2 weeks holiday a year.

Having been to so many places abroad (as a student), I don't think I could sacrifice my freedom by being constrained by a job like my sister. I value my freedom above money.

While I do enjoy teaching, I'm also attracted to the long holidays and although £30k is nothing to you, it's certainly enough to live in a nice apartment somewhere and go abroad travelling many times throughout the year.

You think as a teacher you won't work 9-5? That's laughable. My mum is a teacher. Her day starts at 6.30am when she leaves the house, and ends at 2am when she goes to bed after her planning. If you think being a teachers is easy think again.

Just because Anonymous has thrown it out there, I will also say I am heading towards IB.
Because office jobs are so boring they make you want to launch yourself out of the top floor window.
Original post by voiceofreason234
Because office jobs are so boring they make you want to launch yourself out of the top floor window.

I always hear people saying office job is boring. This may be because I've just left college (basically spent 2 years behind computer). I wouldn't mind a office job (temporary ofcourse).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by maxi365
I always hear people saying office job is boring. This may be because I've just left college (basically spent 2 years behind computer). I wouldn't mind a office job (temporary ofcourse).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Imagine typing some numbers into Excel, correcting minor punctuation errors in presentation slides, sitting in endless meetings full of corporate babble about 'adding value' and the 'deliverables' for the day. Then imagine when you finish your work, you print it out, no one reads it, and all you do is store it in a file. Every 7 years, said file gets destroyed and a new one started.

That's office work.
Original post by voiceofreason234
Imagine typing some numbers into Excel, correcting minor punctuation errors in presentation slides, sitting in endless meetings full of corporate babble about 'adding value' and the 'deliverables' for the day. Then imagine when you finish your work, you print it out, no one reads it, and all you do is store it in a file. Every 7 years, said file gets destroyed and a new one started.

That's office work.

And people do this full time?! Is the pay good?

I won't mind doing it as a part time job or temporary job but not full time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by maxi365
And people do this full time?! Is the pay good?

I won't mind doing it as a part time job or temporary job but not full time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some office jobs are well paid, some aren't. But they all follow the pattern I've outlined above (except at the senior level, you don't correct those powerpoint slides, you 'review' someone elses corrections). Everyone attends pointless meetings. Everyone has to suffer through the corporate 'culture'. Everyone has to file numerous documents and then get rid of them 7 years later etc.

Though in general - at the graduate level - no it's not particularly well paid. The higher salaries generally require a lot of hours, so even if a salary seems high the hourly rate is often so low you might as well go flip burgers at McDonalds. At least there you'd probably be around people who can have a laugh, and there's free food!
In certain industries/professions, it tends to attract the types of people you don't wanna be near to, let alone work with them. Therefore, you have no choice but to make 'friends' with those types otherwise you'll be treated like an outcast and loner. So it's better to be a few bobs poorer but happy than the vice versa.
Original post by JackR7821
You think as a teacher you won't work 9-5? That's laughable. My mum is a teacher. Her day starts at 6.30am when she leaves the house, and ends at 2am when she goes to bed after her planning. If you think being a teachers is easy think again.

Just because Anonymous has thrown it out there, I will also say I am heading towards IB.

Agreed. I'm leaving for work at 7:15 :frown: . Also the holidays also consist at times of lots of planning. Teaching is not a career you can just leave at work; there's much planning/ marking to do!

Also I hope people realise for example that there are many baker days attached onto the holidays where the teachers are in.
Money is nice to have, but it doesn't always equal happiness.

Having a job you enjoy is far more important. Getting out of bed every day, to work with people you dislike, on a job you can't stand. Isn't worth the £5.5k in your bank account each month.

Also, the tax man destroys you on anything you earn past £40k.

The aim in life is to find a job you enjoy, with people you like and on a decent wage.
Original post by xylas
If you're earning a ton of money then you are improving the world in some way. Who is anyone to say that someone is not improving the world if people are competing to pay them for what they are doing?

Actually I don't understand why I bothered replying to someone who says " If I went into an industry like Oil & Gas, I wouldn't be able to live with myself". You have benefited more from that industry than nearly every other. Do your parents drive? Exactly.

If you genuinely believe all of this then you're too disconnected from reality to understand any counterargument I'd give.

Original post by maxi365
Also, some people may just want a high earning job so as to provide financial security for their family and to give their children/grandchildren a better life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I literally cannot think of a greater irony than going into the petroleum industry to give your children and grandchildren a better life.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 55
Original post by Chlorophile
I'm hoping this is a troll but anyway...

Some people actually care about achieving something in their life. If you genuinely think so lowly of yourself that you're willing to spend your life on a career you don't particularly enjoy or a career that doesn't actually improve the world, I think that's incredibly sad. I am perfectly happy to accept that I am never going to earn much in my life if it allows me to pursue the subject I love (Earth Sciences) and almost more importantly, make a positive difference to the world (by improving our understanding of the planet and helping humans to live more sustainably and create a healthier future for our species and others). If I went into an industry like Oil & Gas, I wouldn't be able to live with myself. Who cares if you're earning a ton of money if you know that you're spending your life screwing over future generations? I cannot understand how people are happy to spend their lives dedicated to the detriment of human welfare, just for the sake of some kind of short-term consumerist satisfaction. Having a job you feel is important and a job you enjoy is an infinitely stronger motivator than a fat paycheck. If you genuinely mean what you said in your OP you'll dismiss this as a load of BS but it's true.

I'm in Oil & Gas. You know I support environmental policy the same as you do, but whether we like it or not we still rely on fossil fuels.
Original post by miser
I'm in Oil & Gas. You know I support environmental policy the same as you do, but whether we like it or not we still rely on fossil fuels.

I've heard that excuse too many times. I respect you a lot, miser and I'm not going to start judging you because of your job but I think a lot of people justify going into the Oil & Gas sector by telling themselves that somebody has to do the job, so they might as well do it. If everyone thinks that then the sector is going to continue to do what it always has done - polluting the earth without any kind of regard for the health of the planet or humans, unless forced to by governments. The solution to environmental problems is not going to come from the petroleum corporations and whilst it is true that an instant switch to renewables won't happen instantly, that switch is never going to happen unless the extractive industries that are causing most of the world's environmental damaged are forced to either change, or (in Naomi Klein's preference) destroyed. Neither of these moves are in the slightest bit favourable to that industry so as far as I'm concerned, people going into that industry are at the very least unresponsive bystanders. There was a very good scene in the film "The Corporation" where the film makers visit the then-CEO of Shell (if I remember correctly). He was a very pleasant person and genuinely looked nice and claimed that he cared about the planet - which might even have been true, possibly. Yet his life is still dedicated to leading a company that is one of the leading causes of the planet's degradation. I do not think "but we still need them" is an excuse, just as "but other countries have nukes" isn't an excuse for preventing nuclear disarmament.

I'm mainly targeting the above at people who go into the industry specifically because they want to get wealthy when there are plenty of other alternatives available to them. Obviously, there are plenty of people who are in areas where Oil & Gas is the only industry where you can get a job that pays a salary high enough that you can live off it and they clearly don't have a choice. The aim there is to provide those people with alternative, cleaner industries they can go into.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 57
I've heard that excuse too many times. I respect you a lot, miser and I'm not going to start judging you because of your job but I think a lot of people justify going into the Oil & Gas sector by telling themselves that somebody has to do the job, so they might as well do it. If everyone thinks that then the sector is going to continue to do what it always has done - polluting the earth without any kind of regard for the health of the planet or humans, unless forced to by governments.

Ah, that's a very different kind of argument. Saying xyz will happen anyway so I might as well go along with it is a very morally weak argument in my opinion, and I don't accept that (for example, it can be applied to eating meat, and I am vegetarian). What I said was that we rely on fossil fuels, and we do - schools, hospitals, businesses, etc., can hardly function without them at present. In the future when we have a viable alternative, then sure, we should use that, but for now we use fossil fuels.

The solution to environmental problems is not going to come from the petroleum corporations and whilst it is true that an instant switch to renewables won't happen instantly, that switch is never going to happen unless the extractive industries that are causing most of the world's environmental damaged are forced to either change, or (in Naomi Klein's preference) destroyed. Neither of these moves are in the slightest bit favourable to that industry so as far as I'm concerned, people going into that industry are at the very least unresponsive bystanders. There was a very good scene in the film "The Corporation" where the film makers visit the then-CEO of Shell (if I remember correctly). He was a very pleasant person and genuinely looked nice and claimed that he cared about the planet - which might even have been true, possibly. Yet his life is still dedicated to leading a company that is one of the leading causes of the planet's degradation. I do not think "but we still need them" is an excuse, just as "but other countries have nukes" isn't an excuse for preventing nuclear disarmament.

That's true. Change needs to come from advances in technology and policy. I don't think being in the industry makes a person complicit in stifling that technology and policy any more than purchasing oil or using products and services which make or rely on those purchases. If a person was a lobbyist, or involved in strategy, etc., then sure, but I don't think the same can be said for the average-joe employee. The argument that we need fossil fuels is true, unless we're willing to forgo everything that they presently provide us with until a viable replacement becomes available. And if we decided to do that, that would have to be a decision of policy.

I'm mainly targeting the above at people who go into the industry specifically because they want to get wealthy when there are plenty of other alternatives available to them. Obviously, there are plenty of people who are in areas where Oil & Gas is the only industry where you can get a job that pays a salary high enough that you can live off it and they clearly don't have a choice. The aim there is to provide those people with alternative, cleaner industries they can go into.

I see. I've just kind of stumbled into it.
Original post by miser
Ah, that's a very different kind of argument. Saying xyz will happen anyway so I might as well go along with it is a very morally weak argument in my opinion, and I don't accept that (for example, it can be applied to eating meat, and I am vegetarian). What I said was that we rely on fossil fuels, and we do - schools, hospitals, businesses, etc., can hardly function without them at present. In the future when we have a viable alternative, then sure, we should use that, but for now we use fossil fuels.

That's true. Change needs to come from advances in technology and policy. I don't think being in the industry makes a person complicit in stifling that technology and policy any more than purchasing oil or using products and services which make or rely on those purchases. If a person was a lobbyist, or involved in strategy, etc., then sure, but I don't think the same can be said for the average-joe employee. The argument that we need fossil fuels is true, unless we're willing to forgo everything that they presently provide us with until a viable replacement becomes available. And if we decided to do that, that would have to be a decision of policy.

I see. I've just kind of stumbled into it.

The problem I have here is with your second paragraph. You will have undoubtedly come across the common attack on environmentalists "If you care about the environment so much, why do you use a car/use plastics/use electricity" etc. The obvious answer to that is that we live in a world addicted to the products of petroleum and as a result it's virtually impossible to avoid them. That certainly doesn't mean we will always have to use petroleum products but until we have the pressure to develop real alternatives, people will keep using them. The consumer certainly isn't innocent, but they're closer to the "unresponsive bystander" model than an employee of the industry itself that actually allows it to continue. This is particularly true of the petroleum engineers themselves, the people who make previously uneconomical reserves extractable, which really are the positions that people who want a high-paying job aim for. For these people - people trained in Earth Sciences - there are so many opportunities to work to actually improve the world but instead they work to trash it. The fact of the matter is that people aren't going to suddenly evacuate the petroleum industry so we really don't need to worry about the imaginary threat of losing fossil fuels before renewables become widespread - a much greater and imminent threat is the risk of the status quo continuing which everyone knows is going to lead to disaster. A geologically significant shift in the planet's climate is probably already inevitable anyway which makes damage control all the more important. Stopping potential future talent from going into this industry and putting their talents to good use would be a good step forward.

We had decades of time to make a smooth transition decades ago. The longer we wait, the faster we're going to have to wean ourselves off fossil fuels once we actually properly start because emissions are cumulative. We've already left it late enough to the point where we'd already need the kind of rate of change you'd see in war preparation - and nobody in politics seems to be treating this with the urgency of a war when the stakes are quite possibly higher - and it's just going to get worse and worse the longer we wait. A rapid change to renewables is possible - there have been reports by reputable scientists that claim a transition is possible in a few decades and there's even one claim (I can try to find the paper if you want) that it's possible to do a total global switch to renewables by 2030. The thing we're lacking isn't technology, it's will. Fossil fuel corporations do not have a place in a sustainable society.
I really find it hard to understand why people go for low paid jobs when they seem to have the intellectual capability to aim for industries which are relatively well-paid.

I see students who have the credentials and the profile potential to enter industries such as law, investment banking being etc.. but instead choose to go into places such as teaching. Are they just lazy?

So if you do intend to get out of bed for a job that pays less than £50k a year and you're smart (i.e flawless grades/credible uni/strong ECs), why? what's your motivation?

inb4, "it's my passion".

I originally wanted to go into investment banking but I changed my mind and I want to work full time in retail. Reasons:

1). I'll have my own business so juggling IB and an online business is quite a stretch.
2). Investment bankers are increasingly turning their backs on the Square Mile. Has to be pretty good reasons, no?
3). The erratic hours. In IB, one day I could be working until 4am, and another I could be working until 10pm. I can be disturbed by a client during an important family event and I would need to ditch the event to go to New York or wherever, while my own business doesn't need me to travel anywhere as I can just respond by phone, email or Skype.

My business's industry has a great future ahead of it and is full of innovations that are left to be untapped. Investment banking is unstable and you have a pretty high chance to get laid off. I believe another financial crisis is possible in the future.

So, it's not just passion but the overall stability of the job (teaching is always in demand, recession or no recession), the hours, the work-life balance and your commitments outside of work.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending