Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxi365)
    Really? I thought that because junk food has lots of fat then i could gain weight by having lots of it?

And I've been eating junk food for lunch for about 2 years now, and i feel healthy and fit. I'm quite fit, a fast runner and can do about 25 push ups at a time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No. Junk food doesn't have the necessary nutrients. Especially if you're physically active. A nutritionist or dietician would be better placed to explain this but if you're eating empty calories your body will break down fat and eventually muscle to fuel itself. You need to eat healthily.

When you say you're a fast runner? Is this distance running? Maybe that's your calling... You might never be Dwayne Johnson but maybe you could be a phenomenally fit, competitive athlete if that's your body type. Why try and conform to a media constructed image of the male form when your genetics might be better suited to something else?

Being "a man" is about being the strongest you can be physically and mentally. That doesn't necessarily mean that you need to be aesthetically big and ripped and bench 2x BW. I have serious respect for any athlete regardless of discipline.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by DK_Tipp)
    No. Junk food doesn't have the necessary nutrients. Especially if you're physically active. A nutritionist or dietician would be better placed to explain this but if you're eating empty calories your body will break down fat and eventually muscle to fuel itself. You need to eat healthily.

When you say you're a fast runner? Is this distance running? Maybe that's your calling... You might never be Dwayne Johnson but maybe you could be a phenomenally fit, competitive athlete if that's your body type. Why try and conform to a media constructed image of the male form when your genetics might be better suited to something else?

Being "a man" is about being the strongest you can be physically and mentally. That doesn't necessarily mean that you need to be aesthetically big and ripped and bench 2x BW. I have serious respect for any athlete regardless of discipline.
    Doesn't take a dietician to explain these things

Junk food is called junk as is devoid of vitamins, minerals and fibre, amoungst other things. This isn't good for you. Decreased immunity and increased difficulty in going to the toilet, predisposing to colonic cancer.

Eat healthy lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Doesn't take a dietician to explain these things

Junk food is called junk as is devoid of vitamins, minerals and fibre, amoungst other things. This isn't good for you. Decreased immunity and increased difficulty in going to the toilet, predisposing to colonic cancer.

Eat healthy lol
    I always defer to the relevant professionals but you are correct- nothing good comes of eating junk food and it may explain why OP remains so light ie. malnutrition.

ReputationRep:

So then how cone in the news and stuff they say the leading cause of obesity is junk food? If they have empty nutrients then it wouldn't make a difference if fat people eat junk food doesn't it?

And not distance, i have very low stamina lol. But yeah i am quite fast and i play football.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I always defer to the relevant professionals but you are correct- nothing good comes of eating junk food and it may explain why OP remains so light ie. malnutrition.
    But it tastes soo damn good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So then how cone in the news and stuff they say the leading cause of obesity is junk food? If they have empty nutrients then it wouldn't make a difference if fat people eat junk food doesn't it?

And not distance, i have very low stamina lol. But yeah i am quite fast and i play football.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But it tastes soo damn good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well inactivity and sedentary lifestyles are the big reason for obesity, coupled with high fat, high sugar diets you have a problem. However obesity isn't the only consequence of a junk diet- high blood sugar levels is seriously damaging and high cholesterol and all the problem mentioned by the previous poster.

As to why you're still skinny, my guess is as I've already stated. Like I said a nutritionist would be better placed to explain this so hopefully there's one lurking. My best guess is that you have a high basal metabolic rate and then on top of that you mention playing football. A large part of your diet is made up of simple carbohydrates which are quickly used up and then your body has to look to other sources to fuel your activity ie. brake down body fat and in times of starvation- protein/muscle. Again, I defer to the experts on this matter, I'm not a dietician or nutritionist.

And I know junk food is good. It's also so baaaaad.

ReputationRep:
    Have a word with a personal trainer. Maybe you are doing something wrong or you just have a high metabolism.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys will do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    You don't need a dietician and you certainly don't need a PT

I'm 99% sure you're problem is a lack of food being eaten and a lack of proactive exercise. I linked the FAQ, read that before you do anything else.

Most PTs are absolutely horrific

ReputationRep:

I'm 99% sure you're problem is a lack of food being eaten and a lack of proactive exercise. I linked the FAQ, read that before you do anything else.

There are some awful chancers out there who talk absolute horse****. However a good S+C coach who uses evidence based methods and understands the science is worth their weight in gold.

Just for full disclosure- I am NOT an S+C coach either!
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    There are some awful chancers out there who talk absolute horse****. However a good S+C coach who uses evidence based methods and understands the science is worth their weight in gold.

Just for full disclosure- I am NOT an S+C coach either!
    removed .com

ReputationRep:
    Yeah a good S+C coach, of whom there are incredibly few. As they actually (for the most part) have a qualification of note, compared to your average PT who knows jack.

I'm not a chancer and to say my advice isn't applicable to OP, is daft tbh
    Oh God, I never suggested that your advice wasn't applicable! I'm in agreement with you.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Oh God, I never suggested that your advice wasn't applicable! I'm in agreement with you.
    Lol it came across as you insulting me

Fair enough, sorry!

ReputationRep:
    Lol it came across as you insulting me

Fair enough, sorry!
    I'd never do such a thing!

ReputationRep:

I agree on me not eating a lot as most of my family try to get me to eat more lol. I get full too quickly. For example if i order a fillet o fish meal in McDonalds, i will get full by just eating the burger.

But I don't think I'm not active. I play football at least once a week for around 2-3 hours.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who says they're body is limited by genetics is wrong. I'm going to completely contradict myself here and say that certain people do put on muscle easier and faster but if you're relentless with your training and your diet then Mr. 45kg here could reach a stocky 88kg (for his height that is a stocky weight) with solid muscle as well. My mate was a bit like you (although he was 60kg but taller) and he did the milk challenge (4 pints a day for 7 weeks) as well as consciously trying to eat more and I was showing him a five day a week decent gym routine and his weight (and strength) were just shooting up, think he clocked 72kg after like 8 weeks just in time for Zante, my point is he was consistent with it, like sometimes he still had 2 pints of milk left at like 10 at night but he'd just force himself to do it, you just need to have some motivation and some belief. **** genetics

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vvoDERMovv)
    Anyone who says they're body is limited by genetics is wrong. I'm going to completely contradict myself here and say that certain people do put on muscle easier and faster but if you're relentless with your training and your diet then Mr. 45kg here could reach a stocky 88kg (for his height that is a stocky weight) with solid muscle as well. My mate was a bit like you (although he was 60kg but taller) and he did the milk challenge (4 pints a day for 7 weeks) as well as consciously trying to eat more and I was showing him a five day a week decent gym routine and his weight (and strength) were just shooting up, think he clocked 72kg after like 8 weeks just in time for Zante, my point is he was consistent with it, like sometimes he still had 2 pints of milk left at like 10 at night but he'd just force himself to do it, you just need to have some motivation and some belief. **** genetics

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Can you please tell me the routine? Also, should i drink milk or are protein shakes better?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can you please tell me the routine? Also, should i drink milk or are protein shakes better?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I can't really go into details about every workout because it would be pages long, but you'll want a chest and triceps day, a shoulders day, back and bi's day, leg day (very important one) then if you want to go another day have another arms day because that's what people (lads and ladettes) will notice first. For building muscle as a general rule stick to 3 sets of 8 reps on most things for now with 75-90 seconds rest in between sets oh and AVOID most resistance machines if possible for now, go straight into free weights these will yield results quickest, and in my experience the intimidating gym thing (even if you're only benching the bar!) is all in your head. At my gym a massive guy who can set 140 on the bench has a massive scar going across his whole face who looks like he would eat you and he will literally be friendly and chat to anyone, whether you're 45kg or 145kg, so don't worry about it. If you can afford protein shakes then yes they are good to aid recovery so you can workout harder/sooner but the problem people have is they think they're a replacement for lunch or something just because they can have 600 odd calories in but you need to eat the same amount as well or more for them to aid your weight gain. Also 4 pints of milk is about a quid so it's cheap and does have some protein in (more if you get semi-skimmed) so if recommend that to start. Also if you're struggling with strength gaining creatine powder is cheap, harmless if you keep well hydrated and will aid strength gains a bit. But not vital.
    I've been the gym with probably 6-7 different people over the past 3 years, some skinny and some bigger than me (I'm only 86kg) and they've all either got a lot stronger and/or bigger so just don't worry about your starting size, weight. Side note: the strongest 20(ish) year old in my gym weighs 66 kg. His strength is crazy. Weight ain't always everything.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why don't you read the FAQ? Has all this info in it and more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vvoDERMovv)
    I can't really go into details about every workout because it would be pages long, but you'll want a chest and triceps day, a shoulders day, back and bi's day, leg day (very important one) then if you want to go another day have another arms day because that's what people (lads and ladettes) will notice first. For building muscle as a general rule stick to 3 sets of 8 reps on most things for now with 75-90 seconds rest in between sets oh and AVOID most resistance machines if possible for now, go straight into free weights these will yield results quickest, and in my experience the intimidating gym thing (even if you're only benching the bar!) is all in your head. At my gym a massive guy who can set 140 on the bench has a massive scar going across his whole face who looks like he would eat you and he will literally be friendly and chat to anyone, whether you're 45kg or 145kg, so don't worry about it. If you can afford protein shakes then yes they are good to aid recovery so you can workout harder/sooner but the problem people have is they think they're a replacement for lunch or something just because they can have 600 odd calories in but you need to eat the same amount as well or more for them to aid your weight gain. Also 4 pints of milk is about a quid so it's cheap and does have some protein in (more if you get semi-skimmed) so if recommend that to start. Also if you're struggling with strength gaining creatine powder is cheap, harmless if you keep well hydrated and will aid strength gains a bit. But not vital.
    I've been the gym with probably 6-7 different people over the past 3 years, some skinny and some bigger than me (I'm only 86kg) and they've all either got a lot stronger and/or bigger so just don't worry about your starting size, weight. Side note: the strongest 20(ish) year old in my gym weighs 66 kg. His strength is crazy. Weight ain't always everything.
    Thanks so much this was really helpful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.