Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesNeedHelp2)
    I cant do my own make up,i have to go to the make up artists for mine. But i am always pleased with the end result. 20 mins must be really time consuming...
    Fair enough. I can do it in 10, but I enjoy the time, so I just chill out. Main focus is my headphones.
    And I won't lie, it takes me longer than that to drag myself out of bed. :lol:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I wear makeup just like i wear clothes...

If I am going to a smart ocassion my makeup is often minimal and subtle, and if Im going to a party my makeup is heaver and matches my outfit. when I work and go to college I dont wear makeup as it is not practical and does not fit the occassion, and to be honest i rarely even wear it.

makeup is just like clothes, when we wear it and how we wear it depends on the occassion, and it is never done to impress!! its just like men suiting up for a special occassion., except its on our face.

ReputationRep:
    Enhances my features and makes me look like a mo-dell lol The process is also quite fun.

ReputationRep:
    I personally don't wear make up at all because I've just been brought up that way. I have clear skin and I sleep well so I don't have anything to cover up. I eat well too so I'm not spotty and find wearing make up gives me spots and consequentially makes me look worse.. and also I'm so lazy that when i ocxasaionally do wear it for a night out, I just can't be bothered to take it off and then you get clumpy eyelashes that hurt and it's all a disaster
    Also you have to get up earlier to put it on and nobody got time for that..
    Plus liquid eyeliner is more stressful than Uni applications, so why bother with it?!

I think that it's mainly based on an expectation thing now when girls wear make up as it's just the done thing from a very young age thanks to media, peers etc... And also if you say, start an academic year for example wearing make up, you then feel pressure to maintain said face for a whole year and that just seems too stressful ahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Makes me feel more confident and makes me look prettier!

Only really wear mascara and lip gloss though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dani California)
    Personally, I wear it because the application time, about twenty minuets in the morning, is the only peaceful part of the day. Headphones in, and do my make-up on auto pilot.
    Also, I just helps me express however i'm feeling that day, in the same way my choice of jeans do. I agree with the person who said that it's therapeutic.
    However, the comments about "dolly birds" (not gonna lie, I love that term, I think it's hilarious. :lol:) essentially being stupid. There is a correlation, but the key is to find the girls with balance.
    I weirdly used to find it therapeutic to watch my ex put her make-up on :erm:

But anyway, the obvious answer is that girls are expected to if they want to achieve what is considered "attractive" - if a girl doesn't wear make-up she is compared to all those who do and therefore looks less "attractive". If no women wore it, there would be no comparison, like men. So why do girls wear it? Because they want to look and feel attractive relative to other girls, and they then differentiate and express themselves in the way in which they wear that make-up. And why did this come about? Women attract men, not the other way around. It is men who approach women, like a bee to a flower.

And before someone says, "omg I don't wear make-up to attract guys" - yes, you do, just not directly. I'm not saying you put on your lipstick and think to yourself how you can't wait to have a guy chat you up; what I am saying is that the fundamental reason for wearing make-up is to look more attractive in the eyes of everyone but particularly the opposite sex and from this you derive self-confidence and a sense of happiness. This is indisputable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinkerbell_xxx)
    To cover my dark circles/look more awake
    this. and to feel good if at work/out. for errands i go bare faced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by macromicro)

But anyway, the obvious answer is that girls are expected to if they want to achieve what is considered "attractive" - if a girl doesn't wear make-up she is compared to all those who do and therefore looks less "attractive". If no women wore it, there would be no comparison, like men. So why do girls wear it? Because they want to look and feel attractive relative to other girls, and they then differentiate and express themselves in the way in which they wear that make-up. And why did this come about? Women attract men, not the other way around. It is men who approach women, like a bee to a flower.

And before someone says, "omg I don't wear make-up to attract guys" - yes, you do, just not directly. I'm not saying you put on your lipstick and think to yourself how you can't wait to have a guy chat you up; what I am saying is that the fundamental reason for wearing make-up is to look more attractive in the eyes of everyone but particularly the opposite sex and from this you derive self-confidence and a sense of happiness. This is indisputable.
    You're correct, that is the obvious answer. I have no interest in how other women look. I don't care how I look relative to them. I wear it because, well, I always have.
    I was told as a child that to be pretty, I had to wear make-up. (Not literally, I'm talking about media) So since then i've put it on. So, yes, bring attractive was the reason I started wearing make up. As i've become an adult, it became about me. It's just a part of my outfit. That's like saying that I wear clothes to attract men (which I don't). My "style" (I hate that word) is quite dark, so I tend to wear dark make up. Dark clothes. It's to do with the way the whole world sees me-not just men.
    And yes, I do attract stares, even when i'm not wearing make up. I carry myself with confidence, I genuinely don't think men look at me because I wear make up. It's certainly not the aim. My appearance is not created each morning to look attractive, but to communicate to people the sort of person I am.

ReputationRep:
    You're correct, that is the obvious answer. I have no interest in how other women look. I don't care how I look relative to them. I wear it because, well, I always have.
    Yes you do care, it's impossible not to since attractiveness is relative. I know, I know, you're another free spirit on TSR who cares about nothing and nobody but one day you'll realise that behind all these derivative reasons such as "to express myself" and "because I always have", there is an obvious answer, by your own admission, which is to look attractive to others, including women since they directly contribute to what is considered attractive. I don't see why people like yourself always object to this as if it's an insult. It happens everytime this thread comes up. It's no different to why I don't grow scruffy facial hair or wear pyjamas outside - I want to look attractive compared to other men so that women think I am attractive which gives me confidence and a sense of happiness. I also want men to think I am attractive - not to attract them but to gain their respect. People don't like to admit these things because they think it's shallow but really it's just natural and unlike others I'm not self-deluded, I understand exactly why I pick out shirts that look good on me or wear a certain hair product or groom my facial hair - and I would do none of those things if I was the only man alive.

I was told as a child that to be pretty, I had to wear make-up. (Not literally, I'm talking about media) So since then i've put it on. So, yes, bring attractive was the reason I started wearing make up. As i've become an adult, it became about me. It's just a part of my outfit. That's like saying that I wear clothes to attract men (which I don't).
    You do wear clothes to attract men. The types of clothes and make-up you wear define who you are - you create a unique style - but this is still to look attractive. You want people to recognise who you are through how you express yourself and to attract women in the form of friends and men in the form of a partner. If you honestly think you are just expressing who you are for the sake of it - as an end in itself - then you are self-deluded and not analysing this impartially.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

This is so not true, not for me anyway.

I have a partner, and he hates me wearing makeup because he is into the natural beauty thing going on. Hence I do not wear makeup to impress him, and why the heck would I wear it to impress any other guys??? I dont

I wear it for ME!! Just so that when I go out I feel fancy and dressed up because I have nice clothes and makeup on, I feel like I look the part.

and again Ii do not wear makeup to look better than any other girls, I wear it to enhance what I already have, not to cover it, thats what a tight fitting dress does, thats what curling your hair does right???

some guys totally need to stop jumping to conclusions about why, every girl has different reasons!!

to be fair I wear makeup probably once a month if not a little less, just because there is not many occassions in my everyday life where I feel like it is needed. Its the same concept as me showing up to college every day in stilettos and a cocktail dress, it just wouldnt happen.

ReputationRep:
    1) confidence/self esteem boost

2) for guys attention, don't lie you know it's true

3) enhances looks

Not necessarily in that order but those are the main reasons

ReputationRep:
    Just to bring it a bit more on track after a slight bit of argument in previous comments, there are several reasons why I personally wear make up. It covers up scars on my face which I'm extremely self conscious about, I feel more confident when I wear it, making me generally happier. And to be honest, I enjoy wearing and applying it because your personality or even mood can be seen through make up. I'm not suggesting I wear it all day every day, but I definitely see it as beneficial.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalierm2707)
    I wear it for ME!! Just so that when I go out I feel fancy and dressed up because I have nice clothes and makeup on, I feel like I look the part.
    Why do you feel "fancy and dressed up"? Why do you "look the part"? Because, relative to other girls, you now look more attractive. Can you honestly not understand that?

(Original post by Natalierm2707)
    I do not wear makeup to look better than any other girls, I wear it to enhance what I already have, not to cover it
    You enhance what you already have in order to increase in attractiveness, which is determined by the pool of women which you are a part of. Don't you see this contradiction in your post?

ReputationRep:
    Yes you do care, it's impossible not to since attractiveness is relative. I know, I know, you're another free spirit on TSR who cares about nothing and nobody but one day you'll realise that behind all these derivative reasons such as "to express myself" and "because I always have", there is an obvious answer, by your own admission, which is to look attractive to others, including women since they directly contribute to what is considered attractive.
    Don't try patronising me. Maybe one day you'll realise the sole purpose on the life of many women is not please you? Although I doubt it. Regardless of whether other women are attractive, the general consensus is that I am. That doesn't change just because people around me may be less or more attractive. Or maybe i'm just a narcissist.

I don't see why people like yourself always object to this as if it's an insult. It happens everytime this thread comes up. It's no different to why I don't grow scruffy facial hair or wear pyjamas outside - I want to look attractive compared to other men so that women think I am attractive which gives me confidence and a sense of happiness. I also want men to think I am attractive - not to attract them but to gain their respect. People don't like to admit these things because they think it's shallow but really it's just natural and unlike others I'm not self-deluded, I understand exactly why I pick out shirts that look good on me or wear a certain hair product or groom my facial hair - and I would do none of those things if I was the only man alive.
    Are you sure you're not self-deluded? I don't think this way, although I can't speak for the majority. You get happiness from women finding you attractive? Did your parents not love you or something?
    Unlike you, even if I were the only person on earth, I would still do my hair and make-up. I like my appearance more that way, i'm more at ease that way.
    And FYI, I like scruffy facial hair.

You do wear clothes to attract men. The types of clothes and make-up you wear define who you are - you create a unique style - but this is still to look attractive. You want people to recognise who you are through how you express yourself and to attract women in the form of friends and men in the form of a partner. If you honestly think you are just expressing who you are for the sake of it - as an end in itself - then you are self-deluded and not analysing this impartially.
    I wear clothes to attract men? Are you for real? I'm not dignifying that with a response.
    I'll tell you a secret. I spend 90% of my time in band shirts. I'll admit, I do this, mostly to show support, but also so that other fans will see me, usually strike up a conversation, and make friends. Is it to be attractive, sexually? No. That's the only time my appearance has anything to do with anyone else.
    You, sir, are shallow, and seem to have a huge lack of self-respect. If other women feel this way, please, correct me. You're pseudo-intellectuality is doing nothing to impress anyone. If anything, the way I present myself can be quite unconventional. I spend a lot of time at punk gigs. Perhaps this applies to those girls who follow trends? I can't answer that, but I can't imagine any self respecting human picking up their make up brush or a pair of shoes and thinking "will I get laid in this?"

ReputationRep:
    I only wear concealer on my face if there are massive red pimples I really need to cover. Other than that, I occasionally wear lip tints.

I don't really like seeing pimples on my face, so that's why I put it on. It feels really awkward to be walking to school and people looking at you like, "Dat pimple doe." (I have no idea if other people do that but I do that when I see people so I assume others do as well.)

As for lip tints, I wear them because it's fun. Seriously though, you don't understand. Collecting lip makeup is so fun.

I think the whole idea of makeup being used to make you look good has been exaggerated by a lot of girls. Sure, a lot girls think their face is gross and try to show their charm through makeup, but in reality, if you really want to make your face look good and take care of it on the long-term, focus on skincare and some vitamin supplements.

ReputationRep:
    Why?
    Whatever I say is going to be twisted, as I've seen happen to other people in this thread, but isn't it kind of self explanatory? If you feel more confident, you feel better about yourself and more carefree, ergo making you happier. And that's not just make up, people might be confident because they did a big workout the previous day, or because they're wearing a new outfit that they think looks really good. Make up gives a lot of people much more confidence, so it shouldn't be condemned because people think it's purely used to attract guys or because people think make up is a form of lying. If something makes you feel more confident and therefore happier, you should just leave them be.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kurofune)
    I only wear concealer on my face if there are massive red pimples I really need to cover. Other than that, I occasionally wear lip tints.

I don't really like seeing pimples on my face, so that's why I put it on. It feels really awkward to be walking to school and people looking at you like, "Dat pimple doe." (I have no idea if other people do that but I do that when I see people so I assume others do as well.)

As for lip tints, I wear them because it's fun. Seriously though, you don't understand. Collecting lip makeup is so fun.

I think the whole idea of makeup being used to make you look good has been exaggerated by a lot of girls. Sure, a lot girls think their face is gross and try to show their charm through makeup, but in reality, if you really want to make your face look good and take care of it on the long-term, focus on skincare and some vitamin supplements.
    Yeah make up looks quite art-ish TBH

I've seen make up "before and afters," but I dont think it can necessarily make a huge huge difference. My brother used to do theatre and even with full make up on he still looked largely similar. Idk much about it though

ReputationRep:
    The same reason male television presenters do in an attempt to obscure their real human face and unleash the alter-ego deep from within.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kurofune)
    This. One of my pals wears blue lipstick everyday, it's beyond weird/awesome/creepy/hella cool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bronwencerimarsh)
    Whatever I say is going to be twisted, as I've seen happen to other people in this thread, but isn't it kind of self explanatory? If you feel more confident, you feel better about yourself and more carefree, ergo making you happier. And that's not just make up, people might be confident because they did a big workout the previous day, or because they're wearing a new outfit that they think looks really good. Make up gives a lot of people much more confidence, so it shouldn't be condemned because people think it's purely used to attract guys or because people think make up is a form of lying. If something makes you feel more confident and therefore happier, you should just leave them be.
    I meant why does it make you feel more confident?

And if you have read my posts you would see that I am very supportive of it and not understanding why people think it's an insult to find a sense of confidence and happiness from looking attractive. I'm doing the very opposite of condemning it!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.