Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do you look down on people who eat junk food a lot? watch

• Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Smash Bandicoot)
    nope you don't, but I told you a justification for it and then you invalidated that with hyperbole and 'oh, you're one of those excuse-makers' despite the fact I have been fairly neurotic about nutrition since 2008. Your entire statement appears to formulated around making me feel that I am wrong for expressing a disagreement with you.

Honestly though doughnuts are worse for you than burgers
    What? You gave no justification except for assuming that I am stupid enough to not know corn on the cob is healthy! What's next? using some other word apart from hyperbole and disagreeing with me that I am indeed smart? Bravo you are such a smart egg, in the end, there! :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fashion Girl)
    What? You gave no justification except for assuming that I am stupid enough to not know corn on the cob is healthy! What's next? using some other word apart from hyperbole and disagreeing with me that I am indeed smart? Bravo you are such a smart egg, in the end, there! :lolwut:
    let me go back to check that I said/assumed you are stupid…

ironically corn on the cob is fairly healthy and a lean cut of a burger isn't the worst thing either

Also the talk about healthy eating is largely considered by the former generation one of the many health scares. For example my dad doesn't think protein is crucial to meals

as you can see from my many replies, the subject is fairly…sensitive issue to me

15? Dunno where you got 15 from, I was talking about 1 or 2. Hyperbole much?

Sweetcorn is perfectly healthy in moderation, ideally without the butter but the B vitamins in it are still of use
    nope apart from mention of use of hyperbole, definitely no accusations of stupidity, just criticism of reasoning

and, to be honest, you did have a go at people thinking corn of the cob is healthy

Well, that figures if you think people don't eat corn on the cob with burgers (or even snap beans, if you want they can be so healthy!) and act like corn can then pass off as healthy eating because they have just had 15 lean-meat burgers in a day, for breakfast, dinner, lunch! :lolwut:
    I see what you were trying to get at it.

bolded-unnecessary to defend your ego, I never said you were stupid; however once again you have used ad hominem against me (not your fault, the forum is full of people using logical fallacies and it is a convenient argument-breaker)
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    let me go back to check that I said/assumed you are stupid…

nope apart from mention of use of hyperbole, definitely no accusations of stupidity, just criticism of reasoning

and, to be honest, you did have a go at people thinking corn of the cob is healthy

I see what you were trying to get at it.

bolded-unnecessary to defend your ego, I never said you were stupid; however once again you have used ad hominem against me (not your fault, the forum is full of people using logical fallacies and it is a convenient argument-breaker)
    I had a go at people who thought corn on the cob is healthy? Or you had a go at me for saying "people think eating corn on the cob with 15 burgers can pass of as healthy eating just because of the presence of corn there" saying I did not know corn on the cob was healthy and that I insulted myself somehow just because you were pointing out some "criticism of reasoning" to a randomer whose words you cannot comprehend? It's good you can see where "I was trying to get at it", whatever that means, not that I remotely give a damn, in an orderly fashion btw! :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    but in practice this IIFYM which is not 'a lot' by OP's standards, QED
    Yes it is, "a lot" in his title clearly refers to frequency as much as it does amount

ReputationRep:
    Not really.

ReputationRep:
    I had a go at people who thought corn on the cob is healthy? Or you had a go at me for saying "people think eating corn on the cob with 15 burgers can pass of as healthy eating just because of the presence of corn there" saying I did not know corn on the cob was healthy and that I insulted myself somehow just because you were pointing out some "criticism of reasoning" to a randomer whose words you cannot comprehend? It's good you can see where "I was trying to get at it", whatever that means, not that I remotely give a damn, in an orderly fashion btw! :lolwut:
    You didn't have a go, but, if you read this quote

'Well, that figures if you think people don't eat corn on the cob with burgers (or even snap beans, if you want they can be so healthy!) and act like corn can then pass off as healthy eating because they have just had 15 lean-meat burgers in a day, for breakfast, dinner, lunch! :lolwut:'

'that figures'-this is you insulting my opinion; it 'figures' that I have this opinion, if I think no-one uses silly reasoning for passing off unhealthy eating.

second bolded-this is you having a go at the type of person who thinks they can pass off corn on the cob

'insulted myself'-no, you insulted me, with 'that figures', fairly deliberately as a way to get me to shut up.

'a ransomer whose words you cannot comprehend'-this is very blatantly you demeaning my intelligence.

I'm going to have to walk away now, you've just demonstrated that I cannot disagree with someone in an argument without them eventually calling me stupid for it. If you look I've quoted various people, so none of the was a personal attack...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bertstare)
    Yes it is, "a lot" in his title clearly refers to frequency as much as it does amount
    fair dues

ReputationRep:
    Junk food doesn't = overweight and unhealthy.
    My friend eats so much junk, and always eats pizza in the canteen. She's a size 6 and manages to get top grades in her practical PE sessions... I also eat a little bit of junk ( A chocolate bar about once a week) and still manage to stay fit, slim and obtain good practical PE grades.

Its just the same as Healthy food doesn't equal = slim, fit and healthy
    Everything is good in moderation, so no I dont look down on people

Stop judging people on what they eat (If they're within a healthy weight - its reasonable if they're overweight)...Its a prime factor for the development of disordered eating
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    You didn't have a go, but, if you read this quote

'Well, that figures if you think people don't eat corn on the cob with burgers (or even snap beans, if you want they can be so healthy!) and act like corn can then pass off as healthy eating because they have just had 15 lean-meat burgers in a day, for breakfast, dinner, lunch! :lolwut:'

'that figures'-this is you insulting my opinion; it 'figures' that I have this opinion, if I think no-one uses silly reasoning for passing off unhealthy eating.

second bolded-this is you having a go at the type of person who thinks they can pass off corn on the cob

'insulted myself'-no, you insulted me, with 'that figures', fairly deliberately as a way to get me to shut up.

'a ransomer whose words you cannot comprehend'-this is very blatantly you demeaning my intelligence.

I'm going to have to walk away now, you've just demonstrated that I cannot disagree with someone in an argument without them eventually calling me stupid for it. If you look I've quoted various people, so none of the was a personal attack...
    I'm glad you have decided against commenting further. From the looks of it, all I can do is hope you will keep that up but other than that: the "it figures" was for anyone who thinks I can't tell "corn on the cob is healthy" because I am just that stupid or didn't understand me poking fun at people who think having corn on the cob with 15 burgers can be deemed as healthy! :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    I do not look down on such people as I am too busy stuffing my face myself to judge others

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jasminem97)
    My friend eats so much junk, and always eats pizza in the canteen. She's a size 6 and manages to get top grades in her practical PE sessions... I also eat a little bit of junk ( A chocolate bar about once a week) and still manage to stay fit, slim and obtain good practical PE grades.

Stop judging people on what they eat (If they're within a healthy weight - its reasonable if they're overweight)...Its a prime factor for the development of disordered eating
    I hate to say it but physical attraction is amoral, it's perfectly reasonable to judge people on what/how much they eat and any other means of testing in discipline, self-control, dominance, neediness etc. I have relapsed on my body image problems since I realised this, but it is the truth.

ReputationRep:
    you're a woman, provided you stay below a certain body fat% you can get away with this and even be allowed to call out a guy as shallow if they judge you for it
    I'm actually a boy, but I definitely agree

ReputationRep:
    Well, not really.
    Tbh i've never really given it much thought.

I mean, if they like what they eat then who are we to say anything

ReputationRep:
    Like other people have said, I don't really judge but it makes me sad seeing people feeding McDonald's to already overweight kids.

...I soon get over it by sinking my teeth into a Big Mac though.

ReputationRep:
    I hate to say it but physical attraction is amoral, it's perfectly reasonable to judge people on what/how much they eat and any other means of testing in discipline, self-control, dominance, neediness etc. I have relapsed on my body image problems since I realised this, but it is the truth.
    I'm really sorry but I don't understand what you're trying to say, are you suggesting that even if the individual is healthy/underweight and eat junk food its still okay to judge them based upon their (or lack of) discipline, self contol...ect?

I'm sorry to hear about your body image problems, I have suffered from the same thing in the past to a fairly extreme level so I understand its hard. I hope you receive help and feel better soon
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    you would be surprised how few people sympathise with addicts
    But we need food. We don't need drugs or ciggies.

ReputationRep:
    I dont. People must decide what they want to eat themselves, even if i personally are not into fastfood)

ReputationRep:
    I'm really sorry but I don't understand what you're trying to say, are you suggesting that even if the individual is healthy/underweight and eat junk food its still okay to judge them based upon their (or lack of) discipline, self contol...ect?

I'm sorry to hear about your body image problems, I have suffered from the same thing in the past to a fairly extreme level so I understand its hard. I hope you receive help and feel better soon
    they're not judged harshly if they are healthy esp. not if underweight but it would be in the eyes of many more attractive to have less of it, if their physique was leaner etc.

Thank you, been struggling with stuff lately

ReputationRep:

Of course not...... but you think the only cause of junk food is being overweight? there are many thin people with diabetes or hypertention, you know..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schindlers list)
    Is this judmental?
    I eat junk food, yet i go gym and i have a six pack etcetc. Fast food will only correlate to weight increase if youre eating in a surplus. I could technically eat junk food everyday and keep my excellent shape
    Yes i agree with you though i suspect you are in the minority...still each to their own as long as it doesn't cost me anything.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.