Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

NEW - Cyberbully - Did you watch it? watch

ReputationRep:
    Yeah cos game of thrones duh. Nah just just kidding it was really good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeanlucpicard)
    I see Well definitely give it a watch yeah! Have a nice weekend!
    I've merged this thread with another one about the same show.

I thought it was excellent. Maisie Williams was superb throughout. :yep:
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    I've merged this thread with another one about the same show.

I thought it was excellent. Maisie Williams was superb throughout. :yep:
    Yeh - the ending annoyed me coz I wanted to find out who he was, but still - I thought it was really well thought out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophR96)
    I thought it was going to be a realistic documentary on the dangers of cyberbullying, and whilst it did display this a little, it mostly seemed very far fetched and ridiculous. Seems like the kind of programme we'd be made to watch in a PSHE lesson at school to worry us. 3/10.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Those were the days. I remember being shown a video in year 9 where a man had gone 'mad' after contracting Syphilis - I think it was the schools way of putting us off having sex!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WaywardWriter)
    Yeah. It really did. Especially the fact that people think it's okay to cyberbully because 'everyone' else does it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Cyber bullying is most effective when it is combined with other forms of bullying, though I agree it can be fun to do on its own as well.

ReputationRep:
    That was awful.

How about I start on the positives:
    -Very pleased with the acting
    -Its very effective at drawing on the viewers emotions at times, especially with Jennifer's suicide video.
    -The real-time thing was effective, and I like the way she was the only real character, in her room, alone.

And the Negatives:
    -For a start, the emotions it draws up are used in the wrong way. If you're going to create a programme about a cyberbully, with the aim of discouraging it, you need people to go away thinking what she did was awful. But you don't, you feel sorry for her because the hacker was worse than her.
    -This seems to be the main fundamental flaw with this. Who is the victim and who is the bully? Some of you have said on here you started to side with the hacker (I didn't really, at any point), but surely you realised when he was forcing her to overdose that he was in fact at least as bad?
    -Although the being in her room alone thing was effective, it was for the wrong reasons. It portrayed her as a victim, right from the start when she read Nathan's tweet. That feeling of isolation made people feel bad for her.
    -For me it started well, kept me hooked, but just got worse throughout.
    -The whole idea of someone hacking every device someone owns plus all of their friends and family is a bit far-fetched to put it nicely. Especially for doing what she did. On the plus side, it's quite scary for the viewer to imagine that happening, but i'm pretty sure that wasn't the intention of this programme.
    -I have a problem with the way the hacker confronted Casey. The whole idea is that cyberbullying is meant to be cowardly, and indirect. But the hacker was very direct, even if he was anonymous. I'm sure Casey wouldn't have forced Jennifer to do anything, if she spoke to her face to face. I doubt she was ever nasty to her in person and she seemed genuinely upset about her death. If the director wanted to portray cyber bullying as cowardly, why choose such a direct and personal method of attack for the hacker?
    -If the hacker is meant to be the bully all along, why not make Casey's 'crime' far less serious so that's clear?
    -I don't think there is a strong enough case to put Casey as the person responsible for the suicide. I just don't think she did enough to deserve that.
    -What is the purpose of this programme? To represent cyber-bullying as bad? If that's the case, there are so many ways they could've better done that.
    -Edit: Oh, and the hacker baiting Casey by posting a harsh tweet then giving her an invitation to respond, and then slating her for doing so, is simply unfair. It's like punching someone in the face then complaining when they punch back.

I can imagine if there was a worse actress playing Casey this could have been the worst thing i've ever watched.
    I think I'm being generous with a 3/10.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wokingfan)
    the main fundamental flaw with this. Who is the victim and who is the bully? Some of you have said on here you started to side with the hacker (I didn't really, at any point), but surely you realised when he was forcing her to overdose that he was in fact at least as bad?
    I personally didn't see this as a weakness at all. The show presented Casey as the victim initially because it's much easier to identify/remember when you're being abused than when when you're being abusive. She remembers all the horrible things people have said and done to her. She never tries to justify anyone else's behaviour towards her. But then as the show goes on, someone else points out the things she has done and she has to think about what she has done due to the threats of the hacker. She tries to justify her actions but when faced with the real world consequences of her online actions, she realises what she has done was wrong and was cyber bullying. Then the hacker becomes the attacker once more as he has a power trip and tries to convince her to kill herself.

The real world is a lot more ambiguous than simply good and bad and I think Cyber Bully did a great job of showcasing this. The show was a bit far fetched in places but there has to be some poetic license for entertainment purposes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TroyAndAbed)
    The real world is a lot more ambiguous than simply good and bad and I think Cyber Bully did a great job of showcasing this. The show was a bit far fetched in places but there has to be some poetic license for entertainment purposes.
    I agree that is was a bit far fetched in places, but I thought it was a really well made programme, and Maisie Williams was excellent in her role!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.