Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    Apologies for the wrong assumption.

It is your opinion but it is still possible o have a healthy debate over it, is it not?

You can compare their legacies together even if there times were so different, just as you can look at what their relevance is today when we are in a whole new world as well.

I never denied that Alexander was great. I merely pointed out that there were more 'the Great's' scattered throughout history and it is a crying shame that in an age where people are turning more to the right and nationalism that they have little idea about where their own notion of nationalism came from. If you go onto any British high street then I do wonder if people would be able to name Alfred as the founder of England. Alexander was great. Alfred was great.

Of course one of the most important 'what if' questions surrounding Alexander is most certainly what would have happened if his father had not been assassinated before setting off on his expansion plans having already set his base of power.

This argument will probably then go all the way back to the dawn of time as when you look at Alexander the Great, you have to look at where the power initially came from and then you just go back further and further. I personally found Philip much more interesting to study when I was a student in first year. I should probably go back and look at all my notes on him as he is a fascinating character.
    Philip vs Alexander? Really? Agree he was good but still... Alexander even saved a battle when his father didn't know what to do - not sure about the context but 100% sure something like that happened.
    I mean there is a reason we have Alexander not Philip the Great, besides the awesome iconic sonority

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moh.1Ace)
    Tupac Amaru Shakur
    Amen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HAnwar)
    The Prophet Muhammad (SAW)
    Ameen.

ReputationRep:
    Lenin, Trotsky, Freddie Mercury, Edward Teach(or as you may know him, Blackbeard), Me, Akira Toriyama, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Alexander Fleming, Koch and Pasteur, Friedrich Miescher, Karl Landsteiner to name a few.

ReputationRep:
    Justin Bieber

ReputationRep:
    Caesar. More or less discovered the need for a Roman Empire (well the basic structure of such, even though his heir was the first Emperor).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oligarch)
    A persons legacy is important. Oliver Cromwell the always overlooked leader helped set in motion the apparatus e.g.. The Navy, that would help the birth of the British Empire an empire which makes Alexander to so called 'greats' own empire look pitiful and was perhaps the greatest empire of all time.
    He built the Mary Rose? he defeated the Spanish Armada? lolol.

ReputationRep:
    Hattori Hanzo(1542-1596); The Greatest Ninja who ever lived.

ReputationRep:
    Living in a Hellenic world. The legacy of Rome was directly inspired by Alexander. The tradition of communal housing, education and academia was promulgated under Alexander. The very exonym definitions of how we identified the world (and how everyone else did) was defined by Alexander. Cities of his survived into our time, some being the most pivotal. The very notion of forms which encapsulate our culture and the socio religious customs of the East are due to Alexander. Cited as the greatest tactician by every great tactician. The architectural makeup of the world is a coagulation of the states that ascended from Alexander, or were directly infused by him (Rome, the Parthian and Sassanid) - people on TSR try to compare him to Alfred the Great. Leeeeeeeeel. If you'd have said Augustus. Genghis Khan. The Sun King. Cyrus. You'd have a tenable point. But really, Alfred the great and post-classical effigy of people from then onwards (with notable exception to Genghis. Perhaps one of the Umayuud caliphs) have no place in the same category.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As for my input. I'd say Alexander or Augustus. Perhaps Trajan. Actually I'd also add Khosrau the first seeing as his state and societal and military strategum was directly adopted by the invading Muslim empires.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Bruce Lee, Genghis Khan, Sachin Tendulkar, Tupac, Aristotle, Plato

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    In your opinion. It is a shame that whilst Alexander the Great is more well known than Alfred the Great in this country. The idea of a unified England first originated with Alfred and it was under him and his successors that England as an entity was created. It's impossible to say how the history of this country would have panned out without Alfred and his ideals. Much more relevant than Alexander the Great's conquests.
    Patently false. The Arthurian legends denote the idea of a post-roman Briton Kingdom. The feudal states of Angles then Saxons earlier than Alfred under the Iceling in Mercia almost unified a polity to abolish the heptarchy. Not to mention Alfred didn't actually form "England" his son did. Still the concept of a feudal entity denoting geographical suzerainty over what we call England was alien until later. Ergo the feuding with the kingdom of Alba and later Scotland over Saxon Lothian. Not to mention the socio-religuous and traditional systems of our culture is a hellenic formulation. Religion is a Latin rite. Our language is cognate heavy. The idea of an imperium a state not individualised on tribal allegiance. Structural bodies of academia etc. It's a Hellenic world m8.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    hitler, who can forget that epic cranky man.

ReputationRep:
    Melbourne Johns.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne_Johns

ReputationRep:
    John Churchill. He decided the Glorious Revolution and therefore he had a huge role in the creation of the first nation state from which came everything good. He broke the back of the Sun King of France with his victories in the War of Spanish Succession. He build a awesome house. He shagged his way to the top of the Court in Britain to become a general. All in all, it doesn't get much better.

As for the Irish connection. Obviously Arthur Wellesley. As for Michael Collins or Eamon DeValera, just no.

ReputationRep:
    Other than the typical 'great-men' answers, id say James I comes to mind - his belief of uniting the Protestant and Catholic faiths is considered (now) as very advanced for his time, along with the fact that he is considered England's most intellectual/academic monarch. Melisende, Queen of Jerusalem is also a very interesting woman - dominated crusader politics and didn't succumb to courtly intrigue, despite her natural disadvantage of being a woman. Doge Dandolo of Venice could be also described as epic - although probably not for the right reason - in terms of age one of the oldest figures in the medieval world, personally led at 90, Venetian fleets to victory at Constantinople, instated significant reforms for Venice, and did so whilst being blind.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by channies)
    Justin Bieber
    :lolwut:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm assuming you're joking right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhang-liao)
    :lolwut:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm assuming you're joking right?
    Why would you assume that?? :curious: He is da bomb!!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by channies)
    Why would you assume that?? :curious: He is da bomb!!
    :rofl: Epic? :colonhash:

I think the correct term is wasted :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    winston churchill

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.