Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I applied to Southampton because of its renowned Engineering program, but I didn't too upset about the rejection - firstly, I was kind of expecting it and secondly, I prefer Durham a million times. I totally agree with you about how difficult it can be for us international. I come from a place where no one has even heard about Ucas before, and figuring out the whole application process was very stressful!I think some unis may not be prepared to understand the particular grading system in every country, specially those outside EU, and try to compare our grades in terms of their own system, which makes it all even harder for us :/ I think some unis are more eager to accept international students than others

ReputationRep:
    Yes exactly, here no one even thinks of applying to the UK for an undergraduate degree. So writing the personal statement literally took months. But what was even harder was the reference part, because my teacher was expecting me to know the answers to his questions on how to write it and what to include and all, and i had no clue, i asked Durham for more advice on it but they said there is no further advice on the reference or personal statement. I am happy with my personal statement, but i literally have no clue whether my teacher wrote the reference correctly or not, because teachers here are never required to write references. and it was short, i like what the teacher said about me but it was like 20 lines or something so im not sure. I read that the reference quality was more important than its length but i really dont know if that is true or not. so i would feel terrible if i got rejected because of that. they asked for no previous grades which was weird but i dont really mind, i mean my previous grades were okay but not excellent so yeah it is all based on the personal statement and on the reference.
    Have you done any english exams ?

ReputationRep:
    I currently live in Southampton, the campus is a 40 minute bus journey from the city centre. As city centres go it is rather boring, you're not really missing much!

ReputationRep:
    Anybody applied for Chemistry with a Foundation Year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I had the same problem as you. My reference was written by my school principal, who had never done anything like it. She wrote some really nice things, but the reference was 1000 characters or so, which got me worried since the limit is 4000. There's probably no right way to do it for internationals though - I don't think they'd reject someone because of a short reference. I hope not!
    I did the IELTS test last year. I was sooo nervous about it haha. But it turned out ok in the end did you sit the IELTS too?
    They did ask for my grades as a minimum requirement, so with me I think it's based on grades, IELTS and personal statement. I did my best on the PS, but the writing style is so different in the UK! I must have written it about 300 times until I was happy with it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by "Maturestudent")
    I currently live in Southampton, the campus is a 40 minute bus journey from the city centre. As city centres go it is rather boring, you're not really missing much!
    I see. Well, that's reassuring! congrats for your unconditional offer!!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=BiCabral;53125987] I don't think they'd reject someone because of a short reference. I hope not!

I have been telling myself the same haha, like i say they wont reject me because of a short reference seriously and then i get like really worried and say,, i hope not

I did the IELTS last month, it was okay

I had lots and lots of help from people i trust when i was writing the personal statement and i think if it wasnt for them i would have never been able to write it, so i was very lucky to have people who can help me with it, i was totally lost at first and had no idea how to start it and stuff but then with help i finished the first paragraph and then after reading tens of personal statements online i kind of had an idea about what i can include and how to write a good one so i did my best and i think it went okay and then i had lots of help again editing it and i liked it
    so now that i have done all that i can, i left the rest for god, and i m just sitting here waiting.... and checking ucas :')

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha it's good to see that I'm not alone!! :P
    I had plenty of help with the personal statement too, specially when I was in UK for a summer course and met this English teacher who was extremely kind and helpful.
    In the end the Ucas sections that really kept me awake at night were the reference and the qualifications. I couldn't believe how hard completing those qualifications was!! As I sat in front of the computer, trying to figure out how to make my international grades seem more attractive, all I could think about was how the world would be so beautiful if I had done the A-levels...
    But like you said, we've done all we can and all we can do is wait and check! I'm afraid next time I check the Ucas there will be a note to me "Stop it already! It's 4am in England for god's sake, Durham is not going to answer you now!"

ReputationRep:
    Hahahahahahhahaa :')
    i wasnt required to put any previous qualification except the final qualification so i just had to list the subjects im taking this year ( 10 subjects :// ) and the IELTS,, and i listed a french exam very similar to the IELTS, because i just thought why not put it, it was never of any use so now i wouldn't feel like it was useless :')
    Doing the A-levels is just a wish, i mean we could have avoided this extra year and i would only be doing 3 or 4 subjects haaa but well life has a way of complicating stuff and maybe in this foundation year i will meet wonderful people, and well spending 4 years in the uk is better than 3 ) now im daydreaming again and forgetting i havent been accepted in the first place haha. i should go to sleep well lets just pray and hope we get accepted and meet next october

ReputationRep:
    Hahahaha well, who knows?? Maybe your french exam will be more useful than you think! What if Durham is like "Ok, one place left for the foundation. This guy is great, has a 4000 characters reference and all... But THIS guy can speak french!"
    I know what you mean about A-levels... I had to study 14 subjects in my final year... 10 of them were boring. At least my school finished last December, so I have 8 months of vacation now!
    I wouldn't mind doing a foundation though. It would be nice to have a year to adapt to such a different education system before the actual course starts. If I get accepted haha. Let's just daydream for now

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I have applied to Philosophy with foundation, put in my application on 15 Jan 15, anyone else applied for the same and heard anything?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wtidbury)
    Hi all, I have applied to Philosophy with foundation, put in my application on 15 Jan 15, anyone else applied for the same and heard anything?
    i also applied on the 15th but heard nothing yet, just that they received my application a couple days after i had sent it.

ReputationRep:
    I just got an email from UCAS, opened it nervously, to find out they're launching a new website. UCAS you teases!

ReputationRep:
    Hahahaha i just woke up and it was exactly the same, but i also received an email from Hull university,,,, saying they received my application 8 days after i had sent it, so well it was a double tease :')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BiCabral)
    I see. Well, that's reassuring! congrats for your unconditional offer!!
    Thank you very much, I'm sure you'll hear back soon enough. At the moment I'm trying to weigh up the difference between living in college, and house sharing for my first year.

ReputationRep:
    I'm wondering about that too. Lived by myself for 6 years so a bit apprehensive about moving into halls with people so much younger than me. Looks like getting a flat to myself isn't going to be financially viable either.

ReputationRep:
    I think that will be my main enquiry on the open day. It's not the age gap that bothers me so much, it's how expensive the college accomodation is!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BiCabral)
    Hi there! Wow, they must have really liked your friend!
    I applied in early December for Engineering with Foundation and haven't heard back either. Really, really nervous here! I guess Durham hates me too!
    Have you had an interview?
    haha booo us ;D

I have not, he went in for a chat with the admissions tutor prior to applying so they must have recognized his name! Also what Omar said ;D

Good luck on your application, keep us updated
    Where else did you apply?

ReputationRep:
    I see. I think I read somewhere that they interview all the applicants for the foundation centre. As they never asked me for an interview, I was wondering if that was a bad sign!
    I applied for Glasgow and Sheffield, as well as some colleges in the US, and got an offer from York (electronic engineering with foundation) What about you?
    I wish you best of luck with your application!

ReputationRep:
    Well.... Hmmmm.... Guys, I just received an offer!!! Conditional offer at Durham ))))

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.