Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

31% of males would rape if no consequences, study reveals. Men is this you? watch

• View Poll Results: Would you rape if there were no consequences?!
    Guy: I would.
    11.34%
    Guy: I wouldn't
    51.55%
    Girl: I would.
    3.09%
    Girl I wouldn't.
    29.90%
    I'm not sure.
    4.12%

ReputationRep:
    Tbh isn't this the third thread on the matter ?

No I would not at all. Regardless of how attractive the person is.

ReputationRep:
    Moved to N&CA

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure emotionally scarring the victim is enough of a consequence omfg

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely not.

ReputationRep:
    This is so bull****. Don't believe this crap

ReputationRep:
    In case anyone feels like keeping track, the poll on this thread actually replicates one of the study's results fairly closely. In the study, 13% of men admitted they would rape when the word "rape" was used. This poll is currently at 15.5%. Before the idiots comment, I am saying this as an interesting tidbit and not because I think the poll in this thread was conducted scientifically.

ReputationRep:
    Rape, regardless of whether there are consequences for the rapist or not, IS WRONG? Who in the right mind would do it. Only sick, twisted foul excuses for human beings seek to rape other people. Its a disgusting, un consenting act that can scar the person being raped for life mentally. To those who said yes, just think a minute about what youre saying. You're saying you are willing to force yourself upon a woman or man against their will and subjecting them to something they dont want. Rape is just disgusting and horrid, rapists should be ashamed of themselves

ReputationRep:
    Well of course it's the consequences of rape that stops you doing it, just like it's the consequences of murder that stops me doing that (i.e. somebody dying).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limetang)
    Well of course it's the consequences of rape that stops you doing it, just like it's the consequences of murder that stops me doing that (i.e. somebody dying).
    Once again, this is not what the study found. From the second page of this thread:

"No consequences" is very clearly defined by Malamuth's ASA. The exact wording is "if you could be assured that no one would know and that you could in no way be punished for engaging in the following acts, how likely, if at all, would you be to commit such acts?"

ReputationRep:
    Are they classing guilt and psychological damage as a consequence? If not obviously I would and everyone else would too.

This is the dumbest survey I've ever heard. It wouldn't surprise me they're classing drunken sex as rape. One of the usual sexist ways to attack men is the double standard of drunk sex.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    Are they classing guilt and psychological damage as a consequence? If not obviously I would and everyone else would too.
    The fact that I clarified this exact question for the second time in this three page thread in the post directly above yours, and you failed to read it, does not bode well for your outrage being based in reason.

This is the dumbest survey I've ever heard. It wouldn't surprise me they're classing drunken sex as rape. One of the usual sexist ways to attack men is the double standard of drunk sex.
    They are not asking about drunk sex.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmashConcept)
    They are not asking about drunk sex.
    Oh right, well I'll just take your word for it and trust them not to be nutters, like the guys who wanted there to be a formal, spoken piece of dialogue before people have sex, asking for permission to do so. Also aimed one sidedly at men.

ReputationRep:
    only 31%?
    I assure you, in the time of anarchy it would soon be 100%. These who "had morals" would have died out quickly

ReputationRep:
    Oh right, well I'll just take your word for it and trust them not to be nutters, like the guys who wanted there to be a formal, spoken piece of dialogue before people have sex, asking for permission to do so. Also aimed one sidedly at men.
    You are not supposed to take my word for it, you are supposed to read the article and see exactly what was asked.

ReputationRep:
    I would imagine, given the chance a lot of women would also rape/sexual assault a guy they found very attractive assuming he could not fight back and they had no consequences

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmashConcept)
    You are not supposed to take my word for it, you are supposed to read the article and see exactly what was asked.
    It doesn't say what was asked, unless it's just one question in the whole survey.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't say what was asked, unless it's just one question in the whole survey.
    .....yes it does. Read it again. The parts referenced in this thread are the second to last paragraph of the materials and methods section and its references, and the first table and paragraph of the results section. Again, I clarified this earlier in the thread.

ReputationRep:
    If there wouldn't be ANY consequences whatsoever then who cares? If it's just no legal consequences then 31% is ****ed up... but if it's also that no harm would be done I'd be raping left, right and centre and I'd say 31% is an underestimate.

ReputationRep:
    Study shows 85% of tangerines look like satsumas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awkwardshortguy)
    Study shows 85% of tangerines look like satsumas.
    People got better eyes than me.

I call em all oranges.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.