Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Those Fat Disabled Scroungers. watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Can you be fat & disabled?
    Yes
    82.61%
    No
    17.39%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahellens)
    OP, as a disabled person i couldnt disagree with you more. First, the article didnt mention any pre-existing problems, so those people had got fat cause they couldnt be bothered to exercise. I have very litttle mobility and can only walk about 10mins before i get very sick. Yet i am a size 10 becuase u dont get fat cause of lack of exercise but cause you consumed over the daily requiremented amount. You seem to think that just because someone is disabled they automically have an excuse to be get fat as if they arent capable of controlling what they eat. Yes we are capable to control ourselves. Actaully many disabled people take great pride in what they eat and their weight because usually it is the only thing they can control unless your mentally disabled. I can see from your post that you have the only the best intentions but remember unless your physically disabled you canoot ever really understand, so pls read carefully. Disabled people dont need pity and your reply to that other post about breaking someone legs is a bit insensitive as if someone who has broken legs is helpless. The NHS gives us a LOT of support, we get special exercise routines and diet planner to fit our needs. Becuase of my mobility, i get physiotherapist and free access to swim pool. So if someone did break both their legs, they still would have all the opportunity to be fit and in fact they would HAVE to, to build upper body strength and be independent
    fat people were healthy once but most of them just eat until they get disabled and even then they can loss weight and be normal again. I cant and will never be and you know what? I am ok with that. Despite what media tells you, many disabled dont wallow in self pity but get on with life and therefore should be treated like everyone else. If you dont expect a abled body person to get fat than dont expect disabled person either expect mental ones that different. Peace.
    Well said.

You're far from the first disabled person on here to berate the OP or talking b*****ks.

All the best for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    Last time you had it in your head that every disabled person claiming benefits must be a fraudster because of the bias ATOS tests. Yet majority of those test where over turned.
    *Biased *tests *were *overturned

This is simply made-up nonsense.

I'll be charitable and assume you mean here that a majority of fit-to-work decisions rather than outcomes of the WCA tests are overturned. Fit to work decisions count traditionally for around 30% of outcomes. This has fallen to 24% in the latest DWP release. Now, of all outcomes, a fit-to-work one is by far the most appealed against - so the figures I gave will be enormously higher than for every assessment outcome - and you'll still be wrong.

40% of fit-to-work decisions are appealed against. Even if every appeal was successful, you'd be wrong. 40% is not a majority. In point of fact, 53% of that 40% of that 24% are upheld.

So kindly stop inventing utter bull-****. A reckless disregard for the truth makes you as good as a liar.

ReputationRep:
    Disabled: (of a person) having a physical or mental condition that limits their movements, senses, or activities.

So in this sense, yes, being fat is a disability, as it can effect the way that you live your life. However, some disabilities are indeed self inflicted. It seems somewhat heartless to that that someone so large they can't move shouldn't be allowed benefits, because they wouldn't be able to heat their home or buy food (and yes, even morbidly obese people need to eat something) but I just can't bring myself to agree that the state should be made to pay for these types of people to live.

When I was at my heaviest, my BMI was 41, and I was nowhere near at any point where I couldn't achieve pretty much whatever I needed to. I didn't notice any effect on anything I had to do during the day - yet I know I was ridiculously fat, and had let myself get into that state over the course of my teenage years. So the state that some people get in to the point they can't walk must take some doing. I reached a point where I thought I CANNOT do this anymore. And I wonder why others don't reach that point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    Disabled: (of a person) having a physical or mental condition that limits their movements, senses, or activities.

So in this sense, yes, being fat is a disability, as it can effect the way that you live your life. However, some disabilities are indeed self inflicted. It seems somewhat heartless to that that someone so large they can't move shouldn't be allowed benefits, because they wouldn't be able to heat their home or buy food (and yes, even morbidly obese people need to eat something) but I just can't bring myself to agree that the state should be made to pay for these types of people to live.

When I was at my heaviest, my BMI was 41, and I was nowhere near at any point where I couldn't achieve pretty much whatever I needed to. I didn't notice any effect on anything I had to do during the day - yet I know I was ridiculously fat, and had let myself get into that state over the course of my teenage years. So the state that some people get in to the point they can't walk must take some doing. I reached a point where I thought I CANNOT do this anymore. And I wonder why others don't reach that point.
    Its like you said. There are people who are genuinely disabled and there are others who are fat for a reason.

The trouble is those who are genuinely disabled want to lose the weight and there isn't support for them to lose it. They can't exactly catch a bus and go down to the local Gym. There aren't any staff who can handle mentally ill people or those with physical injuries. The majority of Gyms don't even have a wheel chair ramp!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    Its like you said. There are people who are genuinely disabled and there are others who are fat for a reason.

The trouble is those who are genuinely disabled want to lose the weight and there isn't support for them to lose it. They can't exactly catch a bus and go down to the local Gym. There aren't any staff who can handle mentally ill people or those with physical injuries. The majority of Gyms don't even have a wheel chair ramp!
    Quite - though you don't have to go to the gym to lose weight. You simply eat less. So that in itself isn't really an excuse. If you really want to lose weight, you can, because you can so easily do it on diet alone!

And if you're so disabled that you can't do certain things then chances are you couldn't work anyway so being fat is by the by, scrounging wise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    Quite - though you don't have to go to the gym to lose weight. You simply eat less. So that in itself isn't really an excuse. If you really want to lose weight, you can, because you can so easily do it on diet alone!

And if you're so disabled that you can't do certain things then chances are you couldn't work anyway so being fat is by the by, scrounging wise.
    True but the majority of political parties are making disabled people out as lazy fraudsters. Doesn't matter how good the disabled behave they always get the economic blame from higher classes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by democracyforum)
    I think it is wrong some people , like in the dailymail article, have the choice to live on benefits.

They are affecting people who really need benefits.

I also do not believe Labour have the solutions for these problems.
    Can I just ask, given there aren't enough jobs for everyone, what is wrong with these people living off benefits, leaving jobs free for hard working deserving people who actually want to be working?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.