The Student Room Group

70% graduates get 2:1s or firsts

Scroll to see replies

Original post by clh_hilary

Case in point: In an mathematics examination, 70 is ****; in history, 70 is excellent. You cannot really solve this problem because the marks were calculated very differently. The objectiveness, the definition of 'correctness', or even merely the fact that given an essay, no normal human being would grade it 98% regardless of how good it is.

No, at all the universities I've been at, the percentages are standardised. I thought this was common practice across the UK.

<40 = fail
40-49 = 3rd
50-59 = 2.2
60-69 = 2.1
70+ = 1st

Of course 70% from one institution or department may not be intellectually equivalent to 70% from another, but that's a whole other can or worms.
Original post by RVNmax
You missed out those who didn't even pass, i.e. dropped out. :smile:

Are those not included in the statistics?Well that adds another conditional probability of people having to be good enough to pass the earlier years.
Original post by WeedCanKill
With 47% of the population having a degree, the value of a degree is laughable. I honestly think three years work experience in your desired area of work > a degree. A degree teaches you how to quote others intelligence, nothing more.

You learn from other people in a job. You are going to be **** all use as a nuclear technician if you haven't learned from the work of previous physicists. It doesn't mater whether you learned it from a degree or on the job apprenticeship. The reason human beings have this thing called civilization is due to our ability to stand on top of the shoulders of giants. It means you don;t have to start from scratch, like an octopus.
Reply 43
Original post by SmashConcept
To be honest, I put very little effort in for my 2.2 and I leave it off my CV partly for that reason (but mostly because it isn't relevant or helpful for the jobs I apply for). To me a third implies both laziness AND lack of aptitude.

I failed my second year and then started another degree afresh... still put my 1st year 'pass'/'cert. of higher ed.' on my CV as I have got some selling points from that time.
Original post by Dalek1099
No it is not STEM degrees are worth much more than degrees in the arts and are much harder too and you can get high scores in essays my sister does Psychology and got 95% in one essay she is averaging about 79% I think for her course.You can obtain 100% for any module otherwise it would just be marked out of 70% the fact that it is harder for arts students to get high scores than maths students is to account for how much more valuable stem subjects are and how much more skilled you have to be to do well in them and that's why they ask for pretty much publishable standard for arts essays for top scores.

Maybe if you'd studied the arts, you would've understood the art of punctuation. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Maybe if you've studied the arts, you would've understood the art of punctuation. :smile:

Surely it should be "if you would have" should it not?

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chazwomaq
No, at all the universities I've been at, the percentages are standardised. I thought this was common practice across the UK.

<40 = fail
40-49 = 3rd
50-59 = 2.2
60-69 = 2.1
70+ = 1st

Of course 70% from one institution or department may not be intellectually equivalent to 70% from another, but that's a whole other can or worms.

It is not all standardised - your scale does not apply to Open University. I don't know if they are the only exception.

Ever if they were all standardised across the country, you will still need to make it comparable internationally. Having broader range makes it a lot easier to make comparison (ie is a 2:1 3.6 in GPA in the US? or is 64 exactly an 3.37 in the US?), the same goes to institution to institution and discipline to discipline comparisons. Since the scores are subjectively given and come from different modes of assessments, it's a lot easier to assert that a 2:1 at University of X is similar to a 2:1 at University of Y; but not so much with a specific score '65'.

The even bigger issue is that I didn't say we should get rid of scores altogether. The post I quoted argued that we should get rid of class honours together on the basis that class honours are taking away detailed information. The fact is they are not - they are merely additional information. The scores are still there if anyone wishes to compare them, which is better than the American GPA or nothing (in some universities they do have honours, but that's the minority) system.
Original post by reallydontknow
Surely it should be "if you would have" should it not?

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

'If you would have' is wrong.

But I should've said 'if you had studied'. :smile:
'If you would have' is wrong.

But I should've said 'if you had studied'. :smile:

Why is that wrong out of interest?

[e] It's fine, Google is so useful :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by reallydontknow
Why is that wrong out of interest?

[e] It's fine, Google is so useful :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers.

It's a common mistake tho, and you probably would've realised that it sounded weird had you read the entire sentence aloud (which would've gotten two 'would've's).
Alot of people have taken exception to my comment, but it is all true. It's just keeping up with the Jones'
It is not all standardised - your scale does not apply to Open University. I don't know if they are the only exception.

Ever if they were all standardised across the country, you will still need to make it comparable internationally. Having broader range makes it a lot easier to make comparison (ie is a 2:1 3.6 in GPA in the US? or is 64 exactly an 3.37 in the US?), the same goes to institution to institution and discipline to discipline comparisons. Since the scores are subjectively given and come from different modes of assessments, it's a lot easier to assert that a 2:1 at University of X is similar to a 2:1 at University of Y; but not so much with a specific score '65'.

The even bigger issue is that I didn't say we should get rid of scores altogether. The post I quoted argued that we should get rid of class honours together on the basis that class honours are taking away detailed information. The fact is they are not - they are merely additional information. The scores are still there if anyone wishes to compare them, which is better than the American GPA or nothing (in some universities they do have honours, but that's the minority) system.

If they were standardised though about 95% of people at Oxbridge would get a First and most of them wouldn't have to study for it and you would see similar trends at other Russell Group Universities too.
Alot of people have taken exception to my comment, but it is all true. It's just keeping up with the Jones'

If it's true then you should be able to defend it, yet yoyu have not and just gnored all the objections.
Original post by james22
If it's true then you should be able to defend it, yet yoyu have not and just gnored all the objections.

A degree is no longer valuable. Almost everyone and their pet dog has one these days, to be distinguished you need a PhD at least. When 47% of the population has one, it loses value. Fact.
A degree is no longer valuable. Almost everyone and their pet dog has one these days, to be distinguished you need a PhD at least. When 47% of the population has one, it loses value. Fact.

Saying fact after something does not make it true. Many degrees are still extremely valueable and a requirement for many jobs.

It's not a fact because by that time people will just be expecting a degree from every applicant. If it 'loses value', people won't be asking for it; instead, it'll be more important than ever before.

Also, not 47% of the population has a degree. Around 18% of the population have a degree or equivalent. If you count only honours degree, it'll be even lower.
Eventually we will just send off the £27,000.00 and get to download our first certificate and save all this studying hassle.
Original post by BrainDrain
Eventually we will just send off the £27,000.00 and get to download our first certificate and save all this studying hassle.

No we won't.
Original post by james22
No we won't.

Was being a tad sarcastic .... but doling out firsts certainly improves a universities rating.
Original post by chazwomaq
Grade classifications are illogical. Someone with 59% is classed the same as someone with 50%, yet differently from someone with 60%, when clearly they are closer to the latter.

From a statistical point of view, you lose information by converting point estimates into fuzzy categories.

Distributions of grades do not have peaks corresponding to the classifications. If they did, you could kind of justify them. But you tend to get some kind of normal distribution. In this case, it makes no statistical sense to set ordinal categories. If you did this kind of thing in science, you would get criticized.

People say this and i agree but there is nothing stopping you from putting your exact percentage on your CV. Indeed i certainly would if i was close to another classification.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending