Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Nifcesca)
    Hi there!

I was wondering if there is anyway to see pictures of the accommodation at the City and Endcliffe sites? I have firmed my offer from Sheffield and would like to start looking at where to live. I can't afford to come up to Sheffield again before accommodation application opens, so would really like some more specific info than is currently available on the accommodation section of the website.

Thank you,
    Francesca
    Hi Francesca

I've found a few web links that will be of interest to you:

A brief (written) description of each of our three main accommodation sites is here: http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/accommoda...ates/locations

We have a short video of Endcliffe, which includes interviews and comments with students who live in the village and includes lots of external and internal footage of the flats, facilities and grounds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF3DwK01Pj0

We don't have a video of our city accommodation but we do take a standard approach to our rooms - so what you see at Endcliffe is very similar to our city site.

I hope that's helpful.

Good luck with your accommodation search

Elizabeth
    UK/EU Student Recruitment Officer
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Dee3)
    Hi,

I have accepted my unconditional offer on MSc Information Systems Management for sept '15.
    Currently, I'm searching for private accomodation, what i would like to know is that, since the course is jointly run by the management & information school, will all my modules be taught in these 2 buildings? Or is it just the management school on conduit road?
    Would really appreciate if you could help me out with this!

Thanks!
    Hi Dee3

I've had a quick chat with both the Management School and the Department for Information Systems. You're right that your classes will take place in different buildings, including the Management School on Conduit Road. However, until the timetable is confirmed (which is usually in August) we can't confirm which other buildings you will use. This is because we choose the most appropriate teaching rooms for each class based on the size of the cohort and the teaching activity. Our campus is not too spread out so (at most) you'll probably use buildings that are no more than 15 minutes' walk from each other. When we timetable classes, we are mindful of students moving between two buildings and seek to avoid locating classes in different parts of the campus.

The other buildings you will use quite a bit during the course are our University libraries at Western Bank and the Information Commons. Both of these are located in the central hub of campus (map ref F3 and E3): http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/visitors/...vel/university

In terms of finding accommodation, your tactic of looking close to the Management School is a good one and will take you into the Crookes area of Sheffield. Broomhill (not to be confused with Broomhall) and Ecclesall Road are also close to campus, although slightly further out for the Management School. As a postgrad, you may also like Walkley, which is next to Crookes and has a mix of residential (ie family) and student housing.

We have a dedicated property service to help students find accommodation in the private sector and you can find out more about the team here: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/propertywithus

Postgraduate students are also very welcome in our university accommodation which is a great way to meet other postgraduate students: http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/postgraduate/accommodation

Good luck with your search and we look forward to welcoming you to Sheffield later in the year.

Best regards

Elizabeth
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by victoria_mae)
    Can I know how many people applied to LLB Law (Hons) course and how many are you planing to give offers to?
    Hi victoria_mae

Our Law School have been in touch with the following advice about the LLB Law degree this year:

Sheffield Law School is one of the largest in the UK in terms of intake. The LLB Law is a great choice and numbers are flexible - typically 150+ students each intake. If an applicant receives an offer, selects Sheffield as their Conditional Firm and makes the grades, they will have a place.

I hope this information is useful. If you need any more information, please contact the Law School directly via email, [email protected]

Best regards

Elizabeth

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I am an offer holder to study Biomedical Science.
    Is the university/town nice and is it easy and quick to get to places? (haven't visited the uni)
    Is the accommodation nice?
    For Biomedical Science can you take optional modules and is it possible to get all the modules you can do for this course?

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am yet to decide whether I will firm Sheffield but was wondering whether I will get an email to say accommodation is ready before I have firmed? I just need to know when to decide by? Also is it a first come first served basis?
    Thanks
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by master_s)
    Hi
    I am an offer holder to study Biomedical Science.
    Is the university/town nice and is it easy and quick to get to places? (haven't visited the uni)
    Is the accommodation nice?
    For Biomedical Science can you take optional modules and is it possible to get all the modules you can do for this course?
    Good afternoon

I'm really pleased you've received an offer to study at Sheffield . The city is compact and easy to get around. Most places are within walking distance but you can also hop onto the excellent and very cost-effective supertram!

As one of the UK's major cities, there are lots of shops - from the big retailers to independent stores and markets. We also have two major art galleries (the Millennium Galleries and the Graves Gallery) and two impressive theatres (The Crucible and The Lyceum). It's also a very green city - with the Winter Gardens, Peace Gardens, Botanical Gardens or any of the lush parks, you're never far from somewhere where you can sit and relax. To find out more, visit: http://www.welcometosheffield.co.uk/visit

If you live in Sheffield it's also easy to visit friends at other universities - there are direct train links to London (2 hours 7 minutes), Manchester (approx 50 minutes) and Liverpool (less than 2 hours). You can also travel direct to Bristol, Newcastle, Durham, Glasgow and Edinburgh (to name a few more!)

We've invested heavily in our student accommodation and its won numerous awards. All of the university accommodation is purpose built and you'll share a flat with other students. We offer both catered and self-catered options and you can choose a shared bathroom or en suite facilities. You can find out more about our accommodation at: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/accommodation/prospective/undergraduates/index

You can find out more about the biomedical sciences course, and watch course videos, on the departmental website: http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/bms/prospective_ug

An overview of what you'll study during each year of the course and a link to indicative modules is provided at: http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/bms/prosp...rses/structure

I hope that's all useful and we look forward to seeing you in Sheffield in September!

Have a good weekend

Elizabeth
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Ilydia)
    Hello, I am yet to decide whether I will firm Sheffield but was wondering whether I will get an email to say accommodation is ready before I have firmed? I just need to know when to decide by? Also is it a first come first served basis?
    Thanks
    Hi Ilydia

Thanks for your query - I shall contact our accommodation service and get back to you.

Have a good weekend

Elizabeth
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Ilydia)
    Thanks
    Hi Ilydia

I've spoken to our accommodation team this morning. If Sheffield is your firm choice, you can apply for a place in accommodation from the end of March. The exact url for the application form hasn't been confirmed quite yet but I'd advise keeping an eye on these webpages as they should provide links when the application page is live:

http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/accommoda...spective/apply
    http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/accommoda...raduates/index

We offer an accommodation guarantee for students who select Sheffield as their firm choice. As long as you meet the conditions of the guarantee you will definitely get a place in accommodation. The terms of the guarantee will be published here when the application process opens: http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/accommoda...e/ourguarantee

In terms of room allocation, we don't operate on a 'first come first served' basis. Instead, we look at people's room preferences and try to meet those.

If Sheffield was to be your insurance choice, you can apply for accommodation from mid-August.

I hope that's helpful. Good luck with your decision making

Best regards

Elizabeth

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am an offer holder for Speech Sciences at Sheffield which I am really ecstatic about!

I received a fees and finance booklet and it said that Sheffield gave a household income based bursary. But as I will be (hoping to firm) a NHS student and my mane financial source will not be student finance will I still be eligible for the bursary? And if I am how will my household income be assessed?

Thank you
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by cforcoldplay)
    Hello, I am an offer holder for Speech Sciences at Sheffield which I am really ecstatic about!

I received a fees and finance booklet and it said that Sheffield gave a household income based bursary. But as I will be (hoping to firm) a NHS student and my mane financial source will not be student finance will I still be eligible for the bursary? And if I am how will my household income be assessed?

Thank you
    Good afternoon

We're really pleased that you're planning to make Sheffield your firm choice. From your query, it sounds like you've received an offer for the four-year BMedSci in Speech Science, which is accredited by the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists. If you're applying for an NHS bursary for this course, then I'm afraid you can't apply for a University bursary too. You can find out more about the NHS bursary at: https://www.gov.uk/nhs-bursaries/eligibility I'd also advise contacting the admissions secretary for that course to check on funding options. The best contact details are: 0114 222 2405 or email [email protected]

The three-year BSc Speech and Language Sciences course is not accredited by the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists and is not eligible for an NHS bursary. Consequently, this course is eligible for a university bursary. Further details of the university bursary are provided here: http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergrad...ffield-bursary You don't need to apply for a bursary - instead Student Finance England shares selected information with us and from that we can see who is eligible for the bursary.

I hope that helps. If you need further information, please contact the department (see details above) or contact our student finance advice team on 0114 222 1319 or email [email protected]

Best regards

Elizabeth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The University of Sheffield)
    Good afternoon

We're really pleased that you're planning to make Sheffield your firm choice. From your query, it sounds like you've received an offer for the four-year BMedSci in Speech Science, which is accredited by the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists. If you're applying for an NHS bursary for this course, then I'm afraid you can't apply for a University bursary too. You can find out more about the NHS bursary at: https://www.gov.uk/nhs-bursaries/eligibility I'd also advise contacting the admissions secretary for that course to check on funding options. The best contact details are: 0114 222 2405 or email [email protected]

The three-year BSc Speech and Language Sciences course is not accredited by the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists and is not eligible for an NHS bursary. Consequently, this course is eligible for a university bursary. Further details of the university bursary are provided here: http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergrad...ffield-bursary You don't need to apply for a bursary - instead Student Finance England shares selected information with us and from that we can see who is eligible for the bursary.

I hope that helps. If you need further information, please contact the department (see details above) or contact our student finance advice team on 0114 222 1319 or email [email protected]

Best regards

Elizabeth
    Thank you very much for the information

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    hi, I will firm MEng in chemical engineering and want to have studio with kitchen and I found online many option like studyinn and vitastudent is these places are good and near to university please advise

ReputationRep:
    Hi, do you know when the medicine offer holder day will be?
    Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by saifexperts)
    hi, I will firm MEng in chemical engineering and want to have studio with kitchen and I found online many option like studyinn and vitastudent is these places are good and near to university please advise
    Good afternoon

Thanks for your enquiry. There are a number of private providers of student accommodation in Sheffield citŷ centre. However, I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the accommodation they provide so I'm unable to provide advice. Instead I'd recommend asking thestudentroom community for advice by posting your question to one of the forums set up by students.

Good luck with your accommodation search.

Elizabeth
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Assy123)
    Hi, do you know when the medicine offer holder day will be?
    Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good afternoon

Congratulations on your medicine offer. The events for medicine offer holders will be on the 17 and 22 April. All offer holders will receive an email with a link to a booking form and you choose one of the dates. The event will include time to visit the Experience Sheffield exhibition, where you can find out all about the campus, university services (like the library, careers etc), student life and accommodation. The event will also include time when you can visit the Medical School and meet staff and students.

The text for the email invites is being finalised but we hope they will go out this week.

Best regards

Elizabeth
    UK/EU Recruitment Officer

ReputationRep:
    hi, thank you
    I did the reservation already with a company name VitaStudent , I hope I will get the good mark to match my university conditional offer

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I have a few questions about the accommodation at Endcliffe.

I have an unconditional offer so I'll be ready to apply this month but I can't decide between Crewe and Stephenson. Could you please tell me if:

a) Either has a JCR/bar/communal social area (other than the Edge and the kitchen),

b) The division of rooms into flats keeps people from mixing and getting to know most of the building and the people,

c) If those who apply late or go through clearing get placed in Stephenson. I came across a thread on this site where people were saying that they had been placed in Stephenson because it was all that was left when they applied - I had gotten the impression at it was actually a popular choice! I'm just curious as obviously I am excited about Sheffield and would prefer not to live somewhere where the vibe was disappointment.

d) Do the two halls tend to mix since they share the same plot of land?

I'm definitely choosing one of the two as the grounds are really pleasant and I prefer the older, more traditional buildings - I just don't know which to choose.

Thank you for any help

ReputationRep:
    Hi I've got an AAB offer from Sheffield for BA Business Management and Economics, but I think I'm more likely to get ABB. I was just wondering if anyone knows if they are in any way lenient and if you think I'd get in with ABB? Any help would be great, cheers!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Regarding accommodation, are we allowed to choose who we stay with in uni accommodation? What if he have special circumstances (I.e religious)?

Also are males and females put together in one flat?

Also, what happens if we apply for accommodation but don't get the grades and can't come into the uni - does it get automatically cancelled?

And finally I'm also considering private accommodation - when shall I start looking for this? Is there any point looking and visiting before my A Level grades come out?

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what sort of kit the mountaineering club has that is available to borrow (if any)? And how safe the kit is?

Dad said he would get me “all my own stuff” if I get the grades for Sheffield but I am wondering if that is necessary. I mean obviously my own shoes and harness seems like a smart idea and maybe a belay devise, but would my own rope and clips be useful?

I’m not all that experienced in kit maintenance so I’m not confident I would know when my own kit had reached the end of its life. This makes me think I should just borrow the club stuff… But mum pointed out I wouldn’t even know how old that kit is let alone how safe it is…

Any insight would be useful! Thanks! ^-^

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.