Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Being told to smile or "cheer up luv" on the street by men watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AVGA17)
    They call this street harassment in america. Not sure if this is an accurate characterisation or just a tad bit overboard... in any case though, it's very unpleasant and inapropriate.
    Yeah I wouldn't call it harassment unless it's the same person over and over again, or it's one person who after being told to go away or is ignored continues and follows the person. Otherwise I don't think it fits the definition of harassment which I'm pretty sure needs to be done continuously, not a one off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeadGirlsDance)
    Anyone else really fed up with being constantly told to cheer up or to smile by complete strangers? It always seems to be scummy old men or chavs who feel like they can say this :indiff:

I used to find it funny and awkward but it's happening most times I go out now. It's especially annoying because I'm actually really happy. Are we just meant to be walking along the street grinning all the time? :rolleyes:

Have any guys had this happen to them? Is it only men that say this or has a woman said something similar to you?
    Hahaha, i was actually outside yesterday and a woman who was driving adjacent to me pulled down her window and started shouting abuse at me.

I narrowed it down to me being good looking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruthless Dutchman)
    A checklist to keep in mind before you compliment a stranger on the street:

1. Is it really necessary?
    2. Would the lack of your comment affect their day negatively?
    3. Are you sure they may not just have received news that's nothing to be happy about, and thus telling them to cheer up could actually make them feel worse?
    4. Could you be mistaking a 'natural resting face' for one of unhappiness? And they could be perfectly content but their face doesn't need to show it?
    5. Is it really necessary, like really?

[[PS: Best keep it to friends, "why aren't you smiling" isn't the best conversation starter when meeting people"]]

not everything has to be so personal, I think if people were more welcoming and appreciative of other people our country would be a much happier place. All those people on the bus with a frown, well we all know a friendly compliment would turn that upside down.

Myself, I'd love for an elderly person to tell me to cheer up when I'm down in the dumps because of some petty coursework or something other. It helps you to see the bigger picture: all these people out there living their lives, buskers on the streets yet everybody walking round looking down focusing only on how ****e the weather is, then BAM "cheer up lass, the grey clouds will pass quicker if you give a gust of joy" and suddenly we all realise how foolish we are for choosing to do things which make our mouths droop at the corners when it's just so easy to bend it upwards and open slightly when you look a fellow human in the eyes. It's not that hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louieee)
    not everything has to be so personal, I think if people were more welcoming and appreciative of other people our country would be a much happier place. All those people on the bus with a frown, well we all know a friendly compliment would turn that upside down.

Myself, I'd love for an elderly person to tell me to cheer up when I'm down in the dumps because of some petty coursework or something other. It helps you to see the bigger picture: all these people out there living their lives, buskers on the streets yet everybody walking round looking down focusing only on how ****e the weather is, then BAM "cheer up lass, the grey clouds will pass quicker if you give a gust of joy" and suddenly we all realise how foolish we are for choosing to do things which make our mouths droop at the corners when it's just so easy to bend it upwards and open slightly when you look a fellow human in the eyes. It's not that hard.
    Telling someone to cheer up is completely different to a friendly question asking if they're alright.

Lol how do you know the people on the bus are angry? They might be feeling completely normal and that's just the way they look :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louieee)

I understand that you mean well and that you only hope to cheer someone's day up, but have a read of the comments on the thread and you'll see that women are told this quite a few times, and I've heard many people speak about it outside of TSR. Sure if you're feeling a bit down and some friendly person reassures you that all is not bad is nice, but imagine if you're not feeling down, but countless people still tell you to cheer up, almost every day (maybe not that dramatic, but enough per week to cause an annoyance), the phrase starts to lose its endearment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Yep happens all the time, never had a woman say it too me.
    *to

ReputationRep:
    The ironic thing is, this always makes me feel worse.

Do I really look that bad?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruthless Dutchman)
    I understand that you mean well and that you only hope to cheer someone's day up, but have a read of the comments on the thread and you'll see that women are told this quite a few times, and I've heard many people speak about it outside of TSR. Sure if you're feeling a bit down and some friendly person reassures you that all is not bad is nice, but imagine if you're not feeling down, but countless people still tell you to cheer up, almost every day (maybe not that dramatic, but enough per week to cause an annoyance), the phrase starts to lose its endearment.
    If it helps anyone feel better, I try to make sure as many as people(outside of my family!) whether they be male or female, have as bad and nasty a day as possible.

ReputationRep:
    Majority of Londoners look miserable tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llamaspoon)
    The ironic thing is, this always makes me feel worse.

Do I really look that bad?!
    I try to wish as many people as possible whether they be male or female to have as crappy a day as possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheClinician)
    If it helps anyone feel better, I try to make sure as many as people(outside of my family!) whether they be male or female, have as bad and nasty a day as possible.
    You know you'd really ruin my day if you transcended into a state of nothingness and vanished.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheClinician)
    I try to wish as many people as possible whether they be male or female to have as crappy a day as possible.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know the context its used in, but I've never heard someone tell another cheer up in a bad way. It seems like something kind to say to unhappy people, if its said in a normal way I don't get why people would get annoyed.

ReputationRep:
    Has happened once or twice in my life, but usually I walk along grinning because I'm usually daydreaming and listening to my favourite music One time I was walking along with a huge smile on my face and a homeless guy got an instant smile when he saw me and told me I had the nicest smile he'd ever seen, hehe!

ReputationRep:
    Apart from a few times when I was sick, no.

ReputationRep:
    I get it said to me occasionally, usually by girls in clubs for some reason. I think I generally look like a moody ******* when I'm walking round on my own, without meaning to.

ReputationRep:
    It's something girls definitely get more than guys. Guys are allowed to look serious and straight faced, whereas girls are expected to look perky and approachable.

A man said that to a colleague in work, and she gave him the straightest look and said "wanna bet?". I loved that woman.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jasminem97)
    I get comments like "Lookin' good pretty" or "Alright Babe" by old men/builders/chavs when waiting at the sixth form bus stop. :confused:
    I wish I got comments like "Cheer up" Instead:rolleyes:
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeadGirlsDance)
    Anyone else really fed up with being constantly told to cheer up or to smile by complete strangers? It always seems to be scummy old men or chavs who feel like they can say this :indiff:

I used to find it funny and awkward but it's happening most times I go out now. It's especially annoying because I'm actually really happy. Are we just meant to be walking along the street grinning all the time? :rolleyes:

Have any guys had this happen to them? Is it only men that say this or has a woman said something similar to you?
    Maybe it's cos we have resting *****face syndrome? :moon: it is annoying though, I'll be grumpy if I want to be
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    YES I hate it when you walk past a stranger and they look at you expecting a smile or acknowledgement.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 5, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.