Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you sell your SENSE OF SMELL for £800,000? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'd go for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BitWindy)
    Can't you think of a situation where being able to smell a bad smell would actually be advantageous?
    1) Being able to tell whether food had gone off or not, before you stuck it in your mouth. (Even then, you wouldn't be able to tell - no smell, no taste! You'd only notice once you puke the food back up again)

2) Being able to tell whether food was actually food, or a toxic substance. How would you tell the difference between a cup of water and a cup of bleach if you got rid of your sense of smell?

3) If you have a child or a pet, knowing whether they took a crap in the nappy/living room immediately, rather than leaving it to fester for hours and hours before you happen to see it

4) If you smell that a certain area reeks of burning material, sulfur, flammable gases, dead and rotting things, instinct tells you to keep away. Without your sense of smell you could be walking straight into an explosion zone, or disease hotspot.

5) You can usually tell that there is something wrong with an electrical appliance if there's a burning smell somewhere, before you see any other signs. You know, other signs like the entire iron or hairdryer bursting into flames.

6) Smell determines whether your laundry needs washing or not, even if the clothes appear clean.

Smell is very important you know :|
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by og.east)
    personally i would not
    I wouldn't. I don't actually have a strong sense of smell because of nose problems. But I'd rather keep what I do have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Another)
    1) Being able to tell whether food had gone off or not, before you stuck it in your mouth. (Even then, you wouldn't be able to tell - no smell, no taste! You'd only notice once you puke the food back up again)

2) Being able to tell whether food was actually food, or a toxic substance. How would you tell the difference between a cup of water and a cup of bleach if you got rid of your sense of smell?

3) If you have a child or a pet, knowing whether they took a crap in the nappy/living room immediately, rather than leaving it to fester for hours and hours before you happen to see it

4) If you smell that a certain area reeks of burning material, sulfur, flammable gases, dead and rotting things, instinct tells you to keep away. Without your sense of smell you could be walking straight into an explosion zone, or disease hotspot.

5) You can usually tell that there is something wrong with an electrical appliance if there's a burning smell somewhere, before you see any other signs. You know, other signs like the entire iron or hairdryer bursting into flames.

6) Smell determines whether your laundry needs washing or not, even if the clothes appear clean.

Smell is very important you know :|
    I know, that was my point

ReputationRep:
    I know, that was my point
    I see, misread your post :lol: I can't believe how many people said "yes" on this one, it's like the equivalent of getting rid of all sensations of pain or hearing!

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Considering I only have a sense of smell about 5% of the time if that...

You start to really care about the texture of food.

ReputationRep:
    No way! The five senses are priceless!!!

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't sell it for £800 million

ReputationRep:
    No because they'll probably have laced the notes with sulphur

ReputationRep:
    I don't think food would be anywhere near as enjoyable without my sense of smell.
    This is what I worry about see. Sense of smell is important for being able to taste food and idk if I could give that up even for 800,000 :/

Gonna say no.

ReputationRep:
    you lot are mad on your sense of taste. i'd get rid of that for less than 800 grand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thuvcasio)
    Good Luck with that mate, possibilities of that occurring is very low even if you got the determination.
    I am already rich, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, it would be like having a horrible cold all of the time

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but I love Arab perfumed oil way too much. So no

ReputationRep:
    What, and eat cardboard? NOPE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felamaslen)
    I am already rich, thanks.
    yeah *******s are you

ReputationRep:
    Isn't taste associated with smell too?

Quite often, when my nose is blocked I can't taste soooo... No

ReputationRep:
    Metaphorically, yes.

Physiologically, no. Unless somehow there is like a stem cell/regenerative treatment for my olfactory cells.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by solarplexus)
    Metaphorically, yes.

Physiologically, no. Unless somehow there is like a stem cell/regenerative treatment for my olfactory cells.
    Shhhh you don't tell um that. You take the money & run and let science do what it does best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by solarplexus)
    Metaphorically, yes.

what

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.