Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is anyone else utterly disguscted by the people who run the UK? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    I emigrated a couple of years ago and it's been dreadful watching from the outside. I'd struggle to come back without seeing a lot of progress first.
    you are so lucky! It's definitely my plan once i finish uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    I emigrated a couple of years ago and it's been dreadful watching from the outside. I'd struggle to come back without seeing a lot of progress first.
    Where did you go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    I'm disgusted with your spelling in the title.
    In other words-no, you don't want to answer any of my points.
    All you do is sneer, and then when I address what points you make and confront you with an objective argument based on reason, you revert back to the same tactic.

Is that debate?

ReputationRep:
    And yet you've described places with huge amounts of people leaving to find work elsewhere, people defecting in the streets and raging gun battles.

You've made a huge mistake of thinking the grass is always greener on the other side.

You're unhappy with your life for whatever reason.
    Do I think I could have a better life elsewhere? Yes. That is based on rationality, nothing to do with a mere whim. And certainly if I was to have children, it would only be decent of me to give them the chance elsewhere if I could. The English can revert to default mode of self-satisfaction, and incuriosity, but this countries problems are vast. The surveillance state and assaults on liberties are truly terrifying. 'The grass is greener ' is a tried cliche-sometimes it seems that way because of your mindset, and sometimes it actually is. Depends on what culture you fit, the direction your country is taking. It's simplistic to say it's like I'm expecting utopia or there aren't big problems other countries contend with. It's simply the degree of conservative thinking and conformity required, even though we have given bounds of eccentricity, and the fact that liberty is far more valuable than some apparent security which isn't. In addition to that there has been worsening social mobility, ghettoisation, crime, overcrowding, etc etc. But it's mainly the intelligences services, politics and government I don't like. People should not be so complacent about the authoritarian hell which a country can turn into if it's allowed.
    For some reason the 2nd world war, fighting the nazis, and our island status seems to make us live in a cossetted bubble, in comparison to people on the continent who have experienced the horrors of endemic surveillance and authoritarianism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Native To Europe)
    if you don't get a grip on reality OP you are going to be one sad individual!
    So what is reality? Where do you think this country will be in 20-30 years time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
    So what is reality? Where do you think this country will be in 20-30 years time?
    I think it will be a multicultural hellhole, with fractured societies and sectarian violence and filled with muslim ghettos that will turn to no go areas for Native British people

ReputationRep:
    Richest country in Europe by all accounts.

ReputationRep:
    Where did you go?
    Denmark.

ReputationRep:
    No its not bad.

ReputationRep:
    I used to flirt with emigration and not mean it, now if I had the chance I really would.
    What Scottish Nationalists seem to want is roughly Denmark. You may not realise but you in fact already have the right to move to, live, and work in Denmark, right now! And you don't even need to learn the language, because they have the best English skills in Europe. What's stopping you?

I think you will find, and probably already know, that the sun does not shine so much more brightly there. Losing the referendum was the best thing that could have happened for the Nats; their utopia remains a shining City On The Hill and not a real place, that has as good a chance of turning into Italy or Greece as Denmark.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I don't believe people should be in debt after graduating from University. Education should always be free.

ReputationRep:
    Twas ever thus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Observatory)
    What Scottish Nationalists seem to want is roughly Denmark. You may not realise but you in fact already have the right to move to, live, and work in Denmark, right now! And you don't even need to learn the language, because they have the best English skills in Europe. What's stopping you?

I think you will find, and probably already know, that the sun does not shine so much more brightly there. Losing the referendum was the best thing that could have happened for the Nats; their utopia remains a shining City On The Hill and not a real place, that has as good a chance of turning into Italy or Greece as Denmark.
    The OP won't be happy in Denmark.

The UK isn't the ops problem. The op is the ops problems.

Running away from problems very rarely fixes the underlying cause.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raymat)
    Nope, I don't believe people should be in debt after graduating from University. Education should always be free.
    So lecturers shouldn't get paid? Nor the university cleaners?

ReputationRep:
    Is the government avoiding some very important issues? Yes. Issues like housing, like low wage growth and like tax avoidance have all been given watered down solutions.

Is the government actually making my life appreciably worse though? No.

Despite the issues you've mentioned, i have little reason to be disgusted by the government even if not perfect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    So lecturers shouldn't get paid? Nor the university cleaners?
    At one time university education was completely free and students at the the time were even given massive grants. Why can't it remain like that or atleast remove grants, bursaries, scholarships, sponsorships etc, as these will have no good purpose if university education is free. I believe universities should come back to being funded by the government as these huge tuition fees are repelling some intelligent students from working class backgrounds from going university.

ReputationRep:
    At one time university education was completely free and students at the the time were even given massive grants. Why can't it remain like that or atleast remove grants, bursaries, scholarships, sponsorships etc, as these will have no good purpose if university education is free. I believe universities should come back to being funded by the government as these huge tuition fees are repelling some intelligent students from working class backgrounds from going university.
    Evidence of your later statement? As one of these poorer students i'd suggest that people should be looking at it as a 9% tax for 30 years rather than actual debt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Evidence of your later statement? As one of these poorer students i'd suggest that people should be looking at it as a 9% tax for 30 years rather than actual debt.
    I am making that statement from personal experience. I know people who went to the same college as me who are not going University because of the costs. I heard that a student who achieved AAB is not going to university because of the cost. I also have a friend who dropped out of uni.

ReputationRep:
    University education was never free.

It's just the funding came from elsewhere.

Can you explain to me why somebody not going to university should pay additionall taxes to fund a middle class kid going off to study a soft degree?

why should I pay for you to improve your earng potential?

ReputationRep:
    University education was never free.

It's just the funding came from elsewhere.

Can you explain to me why somebody not going to university should pay additionall taxes to fund a middle class kid going off to study a soft degree?

why should I pay for you to improve your earng potential?
    For future Doctors, Engineers, Teachers, Economists, Technicians etc. They are serving the the public so why shouldn't the public make a small sacrifice for the fate of the country. As ones own child will probably being going university there's no need to think that you are helping only one class move forward when free education can help people of all classes and background to move forward without the problem of debt later. Also additional tax wont put you into a financial crisis. This country offers benefits and you probably don't realise how much people are misusing it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.