Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What motivates you to exercise? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Queen Cersei)
    Are all of you morning exercisers? That's the part I find toughest, choosing between sleep and exercise because a lie in always wins
    Not in everybody else's sense of morning no. My workout hours are normally between midnight and 4am.

The gym is so quiet at that time! I'm a bit of an insomniac and the earliest I need to start work is 12pm so unless I have an appointment or a team meeting, I very rarely even see the hours when all the morning people are out!!

ReputationRep:
    I hear of people getting up at the crack of dawn to go down to the gym and bust a move but I can hardly talk myself out of bed after hitting the snooze button three times?

What motivates you to get up and exercise?
    I basically make it so easy I feel ashamed of myself if i can't do it.

for example I run in the mornings

I have trainers and sweats. theres no excuse. all you have to do to run is have ground. its very difficult to b.s. yourself with running.

I planned out a 3 mile route to run on google earth.

I get two music tracks of a long mix to listen to.
    1 is 15 minutes long
    the other is an hour long.

I run my route not with the intention of completing it.

but even easier than that.

I just run out for outward for 15 mins. then after the 15 minute playlist is up. I head back. and it takes as long as it needs.

so with the music you can time how fast you ran.

this is really important as when you run again and you improve on your time it will be nice to see the progress.

as you get more advanced you can change things

thats how i started.

now im running 3 miles in 18 mins.

but remember.

your body will need time to adapt. so you may find after your first run your slower or it seems more difficult.

thats good and normal. the point is. just do it again. and again. until your body gets used to it.

thats what the army does.

oh and if you can, remember to stretch. but i won't lie... i didnt. even though i should have.

an alternative is doing swimming refresher lessons.
    its like a swimming class n it will brush up your technique.
    n rather than seeing it as a work out your seeing it as a lesson.
    most swimming refresher lessons are a course block.

ReputationRep:
    Disclaimer: I train in the evenings after having had dinner.

What motivates me to train is competing in a sport, setting myself goals for each session as well as long-term goals.

Competing gives you something to aim for and train towards.

Note I say train, not exercise. Getting involved in a sport has made me look at stuff in a different way. Exercise is just moving about because you know you should or feel like you have to, whereas training has more specific goals. Way more enjoyable IMO. Also having training mates in the club is very motivating.

ReputationRep:
    Oh: the fact I will get cheated on if I get fat like what happened to my sister. Except she got abandoned with Baby by a 30 yo man too LOL :/ makes me sad
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Hoping to compete in men's physique probably next summer, can't be slacking. Besides that, I don't need motivation anymore, I have a weekly training schedule and I'm a creature of habit.

ReputationRep:
    Mostly because I am scared of getting diabetes type II and because I'm vain as ****. I like getting into a room and think I'm the hottest girl there. :cool: Just don't tell Jesus.

ReputationRep:
    It's because of zyzz brah.

Fuark.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I lift for da ladies (hot ones)

(Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Hoping to compete in men's physique probably next summer, can't be slacking. Besides that, I don't need motivation anymore, I have a weekly training schedule and I'm a creature of habit.
    Good luck brah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)
    It shuts my brain up, lot to be said for mindfulness
    This.

Also on my part, it helps to fulfil the masochistic element to my personality. I love the satisfaction of getting into your stride on a treadmill (and hopefully outside once the weather is nicer!) with your headphones in and just being able to relax into it, while at the same time seeing that distance number go up and up and up and the sheer satisfaction I get from pushing myself. It makes me feel really good.

Having said that, I just managed to get into a proper working out routine again and then got banned by my GP from all forms of "non-essential exercise" (basically anything that isn't simply walking to get somewhere). Which sucks, because I really was starting to get into that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smash Bandicoot)
    Oh: the fact I will get cheated on if I get fat like what happened to my sister. Except she got abandoned with Baby by a 30 yo man too LOL :/ makes me sad
    Somebody who does not value loyalty or have honour will cheat on you regardless. More importantly though, such a person should not be considered a prospective mate.

ReputationRep:
    Exercise forms the most fundamental part of my favourite sport. Performances, in terms of time and honours won/to be won, motivate me to train as well as I can.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Gambit92)
    I lift for da ladies (hot ones)

Good luck brah
    Cheers mate, PRSOM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Somebody who does not value loyalty or have honour will cheat on you regardless. More importantly though, such a person should not be considered a prospective mate.
    this is true, I should say higher risk of being left if I don't look after myself. I mean this is a rather backwards way to think which implies I should only exercise for others in fairness

sorry I didn't respond before. I mentioned 'retarded' because I do have a learning disability and it does make me noticeably slow/impaired in certain ways for my age. Several people on here have commented how I come across closer to 17.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catsis)
    Mostly because I am scared of getting diabetes type II and because I'm vain as ****. I like getting into a room and think I'm the hottest girl there. :cool: Just don't tell Jesus.
    Who wouldn't like that?

ReputationRep:
    Are all of you morning exercisers? That's the part I find toughest, choosing between sleep and exercise because a lie in always wins
    *chokes*
    I always go after school.

Motivation - friends taking the piss when I don't go...

ReputationRep:
    I exercise because it is healthy. I mean, this all started, the weightlifting at least, due to my developing of juvenile athritis since I play video games professionally meaning I play them a good 8hours a day at least during the month or so before a tournament and even otherwise I often play at least 4hours a day. Not good for you bones. But man, my bones have never been better since I sorted out my diet and started weightlifting. Everything went and I feel fantastic now.

It also makes me feel more confident in everything I do. My gait, my posture and diction and honestly, I do have to compensate somehow for the fact that I'm 5'5 :L

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smash Bandicoot)
    this is true, I should say higher risk of being left if I don't look after myself. I mean this is a rather backwards way to think which implies I should only exercise for others in fairness

sorry I didn't respond before. I mentioned 'retarded' because I do have a learning disability and it does make me noticeably slow/impaired in certain ways for my age. Several people on here have commented how I come across closer to 17.
    Yup. Your motivation should be more along the lines of being the best that you can be.

Ah. You seem fine to be fair bar an excessive lack of self confidence and overanalysis.

ReputationRep:
    Zyzz brah. Forever mirin' :adore:

This is my alarm tone and I have it hooked up to speakers so it plays loud in the morning. I listen to the whole thing and the inspiration is enough to get me out of bed. My neighbours complained but deep down I know they're forever mirin' and jealous of my gains.

ReputationRep:
    The shame of having wasted my wonderful body these past twenty-eight years during a slothful orgy of skinny-fat sedentariness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TorpidPhil)
    Who wouldn't like that?
    Well some people don't mind not feeling like that. For me, it's important.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.