Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Stupid rules that are set by society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joshale)
    no I mean how we can get arrested for taking illegal drugs.
    If I want to take drugs then it's not the government decision to decide whether or not I can
    As soon as I read the thread title, It was only a matter of time...

ReputationRep:
    I can react with violence to invasions of my personal space from males but not to females. Double standard. Either I can't for both, or I can for both. Of course, even if I can for both, violence is always used proportionally. Allowing some violence doesn't mean allowing me to pulverise someone because they slapped me arbitrarily.

ReputationRep:
    no I mean how we can get arrested for taking illegal drugs.
    I'm not sure you fully understand what 'illegal' means.

If I want to take drugs then it's not the government decision to decide whether or not I can
    So, I think you are trying to say:

"It is a stupid rule that the government makes it illegal for me to use substances which affect my mind and/or body because it is my mind and/or body."

Yes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)
    I'm not sure you fully understand what 'illegal' means.

So, I think you are trying to say:

"It is a stupid rule that the government makes it illegal for me to use certain substances which affect my mind and/or body because it is my mind and/or body."

Yes?
    It's the typical "I want to do drugs to experience new things and to fit in" crap. "But when I'm 60 i won't want to do it"

Learning curve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TorpidPhil)
    I can react with violence to invasions of my personal space from males but not to females. Double standard. Either I can't for both, or I can for both. Of course, even if I can for both, violence is always used proportionally. Allowing some violence doesn't mean allowing me to pulverise someone because they slapped me arbitrarily.
    Perfectly put.

ReputationRep:
    The one where children (and teenagers) should always obey their parents, because the parents always know best act in their child's best interests.
    Of course children need to behave, but being able to respectfully question authority is an important life skill for everyone. And sometimes the parents do get things wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Unwritten rule that for some events, if you don't condemn it explicitly enough, it seems like you are lending your implicit support to it.

(Cf Eric Pickles' letter regarding terrorism to Muslim leaders).

ReputationRep:
    How women can wear trousers but men aren't supposed to wear dresses.

I myself dislike the thought of men wearing dresses but I admit that there's no logical basis for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flibber)
    Unwritten rule that for some events, if you don't condemn it explicitly enough, it seems like you are lending your implicit support to it.

(Cf Eric Pickles' letter regarding terrorism to Muslim leaders).
    Don't. Just don't.

ReputationRep:
    Gotta be a "lad" to really appreciate football

ReputationRep:

I myself dislike the thought of men wearing dresses but I admit that there's no logical basis for it.

Well, some Scottish people wear Kilts. Not exactly the same, but near enough!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Balloon Baboon)
    Well, some Scottish people wear Kilts. Not exactly the same, but near enough!
    I admit that traditional societies have their own social standards. I'm talking about this society's standards.

It is a belief of mine that many rules which society imposes on its members are actually detrimental to itself.

ReputationRep:
    You're not allowed to have your own opinion on things if it isn't the same as everyone else's

Someone who is offended automatically becomes the most important person in the world

Chicken doesn't count towards my 5 a day

ReputationRep:
    Got to know all the latest scores, transfers and scandals in football to be a real man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexschmalex)
    Chicken doesn't count towards my 5 a day
    Potatoes don't count towards my 5 a day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    more hairy vaginas and/or legs and armpits.

Equality for all
    Y'all can have your equality

Spoiler:
    Show
    Just don't expect to be able, as a group, to be able to hook up with the most desirable/discerning guys nearly as consistently as would otherwise be the case:mute:

ReputationRep:
    You cannot wear hats inside.

You have to buy people presents on birthdays and Christmases otherwise your friendship clearly isn't good enough.

We have to get up before the sun rises.

Eating healthily and exercising makes you look vain.

ReputationRep:
    Sexual attraction is amoral.and if it shoves them over the barrier of attractive your bf just eating a chocolate bar a day is enough to justify cheating or a breakup

Oh wait this was set by nature

ReputationRep:
    You are not considered intelligent and don't deserve respect if you don't succeed in education.

ReputationRep:

Because dresses were designed for women

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.