Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Not to make you feel bad but he decided not be a cherry picking Christian, which would be good for him in the long run. You are not a Christian if you pick rules from the bible that suits you

ReputationRep:
    My dad works is in the chaplaincy for prisoners so he works with a lot of priests. One of the priests there is gay but I like what he said about it from an Islamic point of view too (I'm a Muslim) he said that the intention of being gay is totally fine but the act is a sin. So he is gay and he believes that it's the way God made him but as life is a test he must restrict himself

ReputationRep:
    As a Christian, the bible tells me that love your neighbour as thyself. It saddens me that Christians of today know how to preach but not practice. Any Christian who insults another for being gay or bisexual is not a Christian. Jesus preached forgiveness, love and acceptance. Jesus did not intend for his followers to use the religion to oppress people. If you read the bible, he would preach a word and it would be left to you to accept the preaching or not. He would not force it upon but pray for you to find the right path.Yes it is there in the Bible that thou shall not lie with someone of the same sex, your sister, your fathers wife's son your mother or your father. As a Christian we are supposed to follow his words with reverence BUT not judge others if they do not do the same. You guys should not insult the boy because he decided to follow his religion. It is the same way you guys ask us Christians not to condemn Gays. As opposed to what many are saying on here it is not an oppressive religion that takes away the ability for one to think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QueenOfSheba)
    If one doesn't believe in everything written in the Bible, then that person is a "cherry picking" Christian. Pure and simple.
    Every Christian is a "cherry picking" Christian.

You won't find a single person on this planet who follows every single part of the bible because it's simply not practical in this day and age to live your life 100% by what the bible says.

Every single person who follows the religion picks and chooses which parts of it they follow and which parts they ignore, which is exactly why I believe that every single person who preaches their religion or looks down on others for not following the same religion is nothing but a massive hypocrite.

ReputationRep:
    I know if I meet a gay person I have no right to judge neither would I be harsh on anyone who tries to change their own sexual orientation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AJExeter)
    Every Christian is a "cherry picking" Christian.

You won't find a single person on this planet who follows every single part of the bible because it's simply not practical in this day and age to live your life 100% by what the bible says.

Every single person who follows the religion picks and chooses which parts of it they follow and which parts they ignore, which is exactly why I believe that every single person who preaches their religion or looks down on others for not following the same religion is nothing but a massive hypocrite.
    Not every religious person judges others if they do not follow their principles. I know there are Christians like that which make Christianity look like a joke because the very thing they preach they cannot practice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ekemini)
    Not every religious person judges others if they do not follow their principles. I know there are Christians like that which make Christianity look like a joke because the very thing they preach they cannot practice
    Christianity is a joke.

The amount of content in the bible that is completely ignored by Christians is ridiculous. People taking the decision to ignore huge chunks of it because the rules laid out by it are too difficult for them to follow.

What right do you have to decide for yourself which parts of your religion can be ignored? Surely you should follow it to the letter unless your god tells you otherwise.

It would be like me saying "I'm not going to obey the speed limit any more because I find it impractical" and expecting to still be viewed as a law-abiding citizen even when I blatantly flouted the law. It's no different to "Christians" deciding to ignore large parts of their religion and still being expected to be viewed as Christians. It's a ****ing joke.

ReputationRep:
    There are gay Christians... there's a couple at my church and no one gives a ****... not every single Christian is homophobic (unfortunately a lot of them are)... it seems to me your ex has discovered a more unpleasant strain of Christianity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AJExeter)
    Christianity is a joke.

The amount of content in the bible that is completely ignored by Christians is ridiculous. People taking the decision to ignore huge chunks of it because the rules laid out by it are too difficult for them to follow.

What right do you have to decide for yourself which parts of your religion can be ignored? Surely you should follow it to the letter unless your god tells you otherwise.

It would be like me saying "I'm not going to obey the speed limit any more because I find it impractical" and expecting to still be viewed as a law-abiding citizen even when I blatantly flouted the law. It's no different to "Christians" deciding to ignore large parts of their religion and still being expected to be viewed as Christians. It's a ****ing joke.
    Ok. That is your opinion, no need to get worked up. Yes I think all Christians tend to be cherry pickers. but that's what makes us human. We make mistakes. But there are some Christians who follow the rules as best as they can. You cant judge a whole religion if you do not know it in-depth. Those of us practising Christianity are still learning everyday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crabbages)
    I think you're confusing brotherly love with romantic love.

You cannot choose who you're attracted to, but you can choose whether or not to act on that attraction. Christianity does not condemn homosexual attraction or lust any more than it condemns heterosexual lust. In Christianity, any sexual activity outside of wedlock is sinful, and lust is sinful whether it is directed at someone of the same sex or of the opposite sex. In the mainstream Christian view, legitimate wedlock can only be between one man and one woman. Therefore any homosexual activity is sinful. You might not agree with this, but it appears to be what OP's ex-boyfriend believes. Regarding sexuality being unchangeable, speak for yourself. There are many Christians who were once homosexual or bisexual who became heterosexual.
    Well explained.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    An emoticon is worth a thousand words. I hereby respond with official text
    You're very kind

(Original post by Tootles)
    You're very kind
    You're very kind too, thanks

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.