The Student Room Group

How long did you wait before saying 'I love you'?

Scroll to see replies

I've never felt love, so I don't know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Maid Marian
You feel what you feel

Just because what you feel is real doesn't mean you know what it actually is and can tell the difference. Especially if you have little experience in the area on the whole, you can call anything 'love', and that doesn't make it so in hindsight.
Original post by Friar Chris
Just because what you feel is real doesn't mean you know what it actually is and can tell the difference. Especially if you have little experience in the area on the whole, you can call anything 'love', and that doesn't make it so in hindsight.

If I said 'I love chocolate', do this mean people can tell me that I don't ... :indiff:
There's a difference between love and being 'in love' anyway. I'm not IN LOVE with chocolate.
Lol I believe the guy has to say it first 🙈
Three months or so, I think.

I'd thought it before then, but one day he said 'I have to love you and leave you' instead of 'see you later'. Didn't want to get too excited so left it a week or so after that..
Original post by Maid Marian
If I said 'I love chocolate', do this mean people can tell me that I don't ... :indiff:
There's a difference between love and being 'in love' anyway. I'm not IN LOVE with chocolate.

Love in the context of chocolate means a totally different thing from love in the context of a relationship. You're misappropriating the word not realising that just because it's the same spelling in both, it's the same word and the same meaning.

Besides, you SHOULD be in love with chocolate, it's awesome.
Original post by Friar Chris
Love in the context of chocolate means a totally different thing from love in the context of a relationship. You're misappropriating the word not realising that just because it's the same spelling in both, it's the same word and the same meaning.

Besides, you SHOULD be in love with chocolate, it's awesome.

But there are two different types of love in general, the "I love you" and "I'm IN love with you". I think it's lame to say someone can't say either, PARTICULARLY the first, because they can't *possibly* love something if they haven't fulfilled so and so criteria as dictated by so and so person. The second quote is a murky line, but there is no ultimate decider upon whether it's lust or infatuation or indeed love. I think it's entirely up to the person who says it to decide what their meaning is. If someone else disagrees then fine, but a person has the right to say what they feel (or think that they feel).

And yeah I do love chocolate, but I don't wanna put a ring on it.
(edited 9 years ago)
2/3 month maybe ... :smile:
Reply 48
I think this tends to be said frighteningly early - it a heady start of relationship feeling. When in reality it would probably be best to wait a year before uttering these words. Plus I think it's most often the guy who takes the risk first..
My ex said it about 2 weeks in... I think I said it back a few days later. I knew him months before though... And also, I was young (16) so I was pretty stupid back then haha I probably didnt even know the difference of infatuation/love then hence why I said it..
Don't think I'll say it so soon next time though! It might scare the guy off 😂

Also, if I may add, even the less scarier words such as 'I like you' may even scare some people out there. I know I scared a guy off when I did. I mean I said it after a month of going on dates with him which was reasonable (I think!) and its not like I said I loved him. Anyway, just be careful when you do say these things.. I'd probably wait til a guy says it first now due to my terrible experience.
(edited 9 years ago)
In the past it was generally 2-3 months in, and I always waited for the guy to say it first. In this relationship, I said it first, after about a month. It just came out. Thankfully he said it back, ha.

The guy I dated before said 'I love you' after like three days, it was terrifying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending