The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vegito
If you know so well what God tells you then you should actually try to read Quran for once and then actually tell us what it tells about how much big sin it is. Instead of coming up with your own philosophies of what you think, you should actually try to know what Islam tells or stop calling your self a Muslim simply.

Its worse than you think, not only have I read the Qu'ran, I understood it too. :smile: I was raised in a religious household between the Lebanon and the UK. I come from a lineage of scholars (including Amili scholars), Qadis (Judges and magistrates), clerics, thinkers, philosophers and historians.

By age 12, I had mastered knowledge of both modern standard and classical Arabic, memorized much of the Qu'ran, taken Isnaad and a whole host of other things. I can tell you, that the Islam that many on here preach, has no resembles to Classical Islam (speaking as someone who has read Hanabli, Hanafi, Mutalizila and Sufi literature).

Most Muslim scholars from the past, would not understand or recognize this tribalism that many of you seem to promote.
Original post by PhilosopherQueen
Its worse than you think, not only have I read the Qu'ran, I understood it too. :smile: I was raised in a religious household between the Lebanon and the UK. I come from a lineage of scholars (including Amili scholars), Qadis (Judges and magistrates), clerics, thinkers, philosophers and historians.

By age 12, I had mastered knowledge of both modern standard and classical Arabic, memorized much of the Qu'ran, taken Isnaad and a whole host of other things. I can tell you, that the Islam that many on here preach, has no resembles to Classical Islam (speaking as someone who has read Hanabli, Hanafi, Mutalizila and Sufi literature).

Most Muslim scholars from the past, would not understand or recognize this tribalism that many of you seem to promote.

All that knowledge and big talk and still on the road to hell fire. I don't even feel sorry for you since someone like you after knowing all this has no clue what Islam really is then you really shouldn't even be bothered with.

P.S: Thanks for proving me also that having all the knowledge in the world or being part of a conservative family doesn't makes you a Muslim but what our "Iman" is from the inside which matters. ^_^
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a Muslim too and female and am bisexual too :frown: but I have never acted upon it.

It isn't a sin to be bisexual; it's just a sin to act on it... Alas it's not ideal that you have a feeling that you had no choice over, but I guess all of our trials are different. Just don't make the mistake this guy did because it will only result in your spiritual ruin :redface:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Phoebe Buffay
This thread really is shocking. The majority of people citing a rather unpleasant book written 1400 years ago? And then talking about hell. You people are mad.

Obviously if he comes from an Islamic background then people will offer Islamic advice.
Btw, have you read and understood the Quran btw or are you saying that it's unpleasant based on small bits you picked up here and there and found that these uncontextualised beliefs clashed with your sensibilities? :holmes:
OP and the other anon person, it may not be much condolence, but in a WAY, this is a good thing, because I think you'd rather be a bisexual Muslim than a gay Muslim, because at least you ARE attracted to the opposite sex, which at least makes marriage do-able Islamically...

I know it's not MUCH, but there is that..

Besides, it might mean that if your partner wants to...experiment, then it brings that sorta...spice in to your life a bit easier, if you also find that person attractive.

Nowt wrong with being bisexual :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi. I am a British Muslim guy and I'm not very practising -- like the only time I ever go to mosque is on Eid basically -- but my family is quite conservative and stuff. I know homosexuality is a sin in Islam but...for a long time now--ever since I've been a teenager I've always found guys attractive as well as girls but could never admit it.

Only since I've come to University away from my family environment -- in a city where no one knows me -- have I finally admitted to myself that I am bi after having a few sexual experiences (basically, the first time i met a guy on gaydar and he invited me to his place and we ended up having oral sex) and though I really enjoyed it I have been feeling full of guilt ever since but also get turned whenever i think about it to the extent that I repeated it a couple of times...once with the same guy and another time with him and his mate...

Now I feel really guilty and don't know if I should tell anyone, hide it, or just accept i am bi and live my life. But I am also scared of Hell so....!

Help!

im Bisexual too and im muslim it was hard to tell my parents but it;s fine now they agree as usman is mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::colondollar::colondollar::colondollar::colondollar::colondollar::colondollar:
Original post by Zamestaneh
Obviously if he comes from an Islamic background then people will offer Islamic advice.
Btw, have you read and understood the Quran btw or are you saying that it's unpleasant based on small bits you picked up here and there and found that these uncontextualised beliefs clashed with your sensibilities? :holmes:

I'm saying it's unpleasant because I have read the book so don't bother.
Reply 47
Original post by The_Internet
OP and the other anon person, it may not be much condolence, but in a WAY, this is a good thing, because I think you'd rather be a bisexual Muslim than a gay Muslim, because at least you ARE attracted to the opposite sex, which at least makes marriage do-able Islamically...

I know it's not MUCH, but there is that..

Besides, it might mean that if your partner wants to...experiment, then it brings that sorta...spice in to your life a bit easier, if you also find that person attractive.

Nowt wrong with being bisexual :smile:

Nothing wrong with being gay either
Original post by nmanvi
Nothing wrong with being gay either

No. Course not :smile: It's just that if you're a Muslim it's probably BETTER to be bi, than gay purely cos of society :smile:
I don't think these posts that base themselves on an implicit "Islam is false" assumption are going to be particularly helpful when the person asking for advice is a Muslim.
I repeated it a couple of times...once with the same guy and another time with him and his mate...

Sounds pretty hot to me :sexface:

Now I feel really guilty and don't know if I should tell anyone, hide it, or just accept i am bi and live my life. But I am also scared of Hell so....!

Help!

Can you think of any logical reason why a deity would send someone to hell for that? I mean, is there an actual logical reason?

I feel bad that you've been inculcated with lies about being sent to hell for an act that is simply two human beings making each other happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq4mzH9wqjY
No. Course not :smile: It's just that if you're a Muslim it's probably BETTER to be bi, than gay purely cos of society :smile:

Umm... I don't think it actually makes a difference in Islam.
Wow everyone here is condemning and not accepting its crazy.

Mate at the end of the day do what you enjoy. Don't feel guilty about it, there is no point.
Life is short and you don't want to have any regrets and do what *you* want.

I'm not religious so I can't relate in that repeat but I can in others and at the end of the day, if it is something you want to do, and you are comfortable with, then do it.

You aren't doing anything wrong, you aren't hurting anyone.

PM if you need me and don't listen to those condemning you, they aren't worth your time <3
Original post by young_guns
Umm... I don't think it actually makes a difference in Islam.

I mean in the sense that it's easier to conceal - like if you're gay and you marry someone of the opposite sex, you're not going to be attracted to them.
I can't say that I know God, because who can truly know how a God feels and thinks? However, it's always seemed to me that He's all about love. Love for others, love for nature, and, what's sometimes the most difficult - love for ourselves as well.

You are bi. That's simply the way you are, just as some are attracted to members of the opposite gender, and others are attracted to members of the same gender. That's nothing to feel guilty about. Feeling guilty about something we have no choice in is like feeling guilty for the colour of our skin, or the colour of our eyes. It doesn't make sense.

Now, some would say that it's acting on your attraction that is the sin, and that it is a test. That doesn't make sense either, though. Sooner or later you might fall in love, and it might be with someone of the same gender to you. Why would a loving God tell us to deny love? And why would an all-powerful, all-knowing, all-loving God care so much about what we do with our bits and pieces?

Some religious advice when it comes to sex is good, and makes sense. Adultery can do a lot of damage, both physically (risk of STDs that you can pass on to your partner) and emotionally. Not having sex before marriage made sense in those times of no contraception, because again, you could pick up STDs or make someone pregnant. These days it isn't such an issue so long as you use protection and, if you sleep around, you need to protect yourself emotionally as well, as some can deal with it and some can't. It's all about being sensible, really, and respectful of others. But don't let it weigh you down and make you fearful of eternal punishment.

I think of it like this - if God knows you, and loves you, would He then allow you to suffer eternally for being who you are, and for (eventually) seeking love? It feels really wrong when parents reject their children because they are gay, or bi, because they should love their kids the way they are, and should want them to find happiness. How much more wrong, then, would it be for God to reject you for the same thing? To think of God in that way is to basically call Him a cruel, uncaring entity, and as far as I see it, that's not what He is.
I mean in the sense that it's easier to conceal - like if you're gay and you marry someone of the opposite sex, you're not going to be attracted to them.

That's not how bisexuality works. The fact someone is bisexual doesn't mean it's any easier to just force themselves to be with a particular person.

What if he falls in love with a guy? In that case forcing himself to marry a woman would be as undesirable as a gay man forcing himself to marry a woman

And saying, "Being bisexual makes it easier to hide who you are" is not exactly something to recommend.

Hiding who you are, being in the closet, suppressing your true feelings, these lead to misery, alcohol and drug abuse, anxiety and sometimes even suicide. This we know, many gay and bisexual's mens lives throughout history have been ruined by having to suppress their true feelings, thank god we are the first generation who can really live without fear
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm pretty much facing a similar problem dude. Usually what helps is actually constructing your own life, your own job etc. things to help you ween off the life of being family dependant and only then will you feel comfortable with yourself, sexuality is only a minuscule fragment of your life, don't dwell on it too much. If it helps, try find a meaningful gay relationship with someone, these one off flings you've been having through gaydar isn't really a good thing because all its about is the sex -.-
That's not how bisexuality works. The fact someone is bisexual doesn't mean it's any easier to just force themselves to be with a particular person.

What if he falls in love with a guy? In that case forcing himself to marry a woman would be as undesirable as a gay man forcing himself to marry a woman

And saying, "Being bisexual makes it easier to hide who you are" is not exactly something to recommend

This is true. Sorry if I sounded ignorant. Im more getting at, that as a Muslim, it's EASIER to be bisexual, because you may find yourslf attracted to the opposite sex

And tbh young_guns, I doubt you're a Muslim or WERE a Muslim, to know why that actually does kinda help.. There's plenty of people who DO have to conceal their sexuality or they have to conceal other things ie: not being a virgin, drinking, not being a Muslim at all etc..., because of fear. Id rather conceal bisexuality than homosexuality, because that way at least you are attracted to people of the opposite sex

Tbh young_one, you're coming in to this thread, with knowledge about how gay/bisexual people find others attractive, BUT you don't understand the cultural/religious issues surrounding it.
(edited 9 years ago)
This is true. Sorry if I sounded ignorant. Im more getting at, that as a Muslim, it's EASIER to be bisexual, because you may find yourslf attracted to the opposite sex

And I'm pointing out that you've fundamentally misunderstood how bisexuality works. I'm not trying to have an argument, I just think you may not understand that what you're saying is not how bisexuals view it
And I'm pointing out that you've fundamentally misunderstood how bisexuality works. I'm not trying to have an argument, I just think you may not understand that what you're saying is not how bisexuals view it

OK I accept that. I've already accepted that. I don't know why you're getting in to an argument. See my edit above. Assuming you've not been a Muslim, it's harder for you to relate to certain bits of advice that you think is "terrible"

Latest

Trending

Trending