Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnknownDude)
    Firstly, forget about rankings. Past a certain point they do not matter. They're good to get an initial collection of universities that you can then research and see what appeals to you, so you can select your 5 choices. Beyond that, they're not much help. Do not select a university purely on reputation, look beyond that at the actual course that you will spend 3-4 years of your life studying.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Liquid Gold.)
    Erm Cambridge Computer Science avg starting salary £31k, 94% employed/further study http://university.which.co.uk/univer...000-g400-13239

Oxford Computer Science avg starting salary £30.2k, 92% employed/further study http://university.which.co.uk/univer...000-g400-58900

Imperial Computer Science avg starting salary £34.3k, 95% employed/further study http://university.which.co.uk/imperi...ears-9000-g401

So clearly not winning in terms of graduate salary... Imperial's is slightly inflated by the London factor but still.

don't listen to him OP, he's just spouting biased rubbish just cos he's going to Oxford himself :rolleyes:. Everyone knows the Cambridge CompSci course is better than the Oxford one, but Imperial's is (almost) just as good. The leaderboard rankings have got it bang on. It's:

Cambridge ≥ Imperial > Oxford for Comp Sci
    I'm sorry, those statistics are just wrong. The average salary of an Oxford Computer Science graduate is £43,895. Those statistics from Which are out of date, they are an outdated average from several years ago. I've got absolutely no reason to big up Oxford's CompSci department because I've got nothing to do with them, it's a simple fact that it has the highest graduate pay out of any course in the United Kingdom. Imperial and Cambridge CompSci are in the top 10, but they are still below Oxford. Stop being so arrogant and please make sure you get better sources next time...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    I'm sorry, those statistics are just wrong. The average salary of a Cambridge Computer Science graduate is £43,895. Those statistics from Which are out of date, they are an outdated average from several years ago. I've got absolutely no reason to big up Oxford's CompSci department because I've got nothing to do with them, it's a simple fact that it has the highest graduate pay out of any course in the United Kingdom. Imperial and Cambridge CompSci are in the top 10, but they are still below Oxford. Stop being so arrogant and please make sure you get better sources next time...
    That figure seems abnormally high? The source is behind a paywall, but presumably you got it from there. Is this over the course of their career in which case it seems quite low, or straight after graduation in which case it seems very high?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquid Gold.)
    Erm Cambridge Computer Science avg starting salary £31k, 94% employed/further study http://university.which.co.uk/univer...000-g400-13239

Oxford Computer Science avg starting salary £30.2k, 92% employed/further study http://university.which.co.uk/univer...000-g400-58900

Imperial Computer Science avg starting salary £34.3k, 95% employed/further study http://university.which.co.uk/imperi...ears-9000-g401

So clearly not winning in terms of graduate salary... Imperial's is slightly inflated by the London factor but still.

don't listen to him OP, he's just spouting biased rubbish just cos he's going to Oxford himself :rolleyes:. Everyone knows the Cambridge CompSci course is better than the Oxford one, but Imperial's is (almost) just as good. The leaderboard rankings have got it bang on. It's:

Cambridge ≥ Imperial > Oxford for Comp Sci
    Oxford CS is 43k. Also, this same figures were printed in the Times.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...niversity.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TVIO)
    That figure seems abnormally high? The source is behind a paywall, but presumably you got it from there. Is this over the course of their career in which case it seems quite low, or straight after graduation in which case it seems very high?
    I think she means Oxford not Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, those statistics are just wrong. The average salary of a Cambridge Computer Science graduate is £43,895. Those statistics from Which are out of date, they are an outdated average from several years ago. I've got absolutely no reason to big up Oxford's CompSci department because I've got nothing to do with them, it's a simple fact that it has the highest graduate pay out of any course in the United Kingdom. Imperial and Cambridge CompSci are in the top 10, but they are still below Oxford. Stop being so arrogant and please make sure you get better sources next time...
    I think you mean Oxford's starting salary not Cambridge.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by TVIO)
    Nope, it's the most recent "6 months after graduation" figure. There are possible explanations. Firstly, a lot of statistics are taken as long-term averages (e.g. Which's data is a 4 year average from a few years ago) which doesn't reflect the recent surge in demand for Computer Science. Oxford's intake is also really low so it could in theory just be a freak high, although their department genuinely seems to be really great - a professor from the department who was speaking at the Oxbridge Student Conference said a number of his students in AI got internships with a higher pay than his annual salary. Also, because of Oxford's small intake, I suppose extreme high fliers could distort the figures a bit.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Blutooth)
    I think you mean Oxford's starting salary not Cambridge.
    Oops yes, Oxford The comments on that DailyMail article you linked are so stupid though...

ReputationRep:
    Oops yes, Oxford The comments on that DailyMail article you linked are so stupid though...
    Two of the comments are from tutors at Oxford I know lol.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Two of the comments are from tutors at Oxford I know lol.
    They're commenting on a Daily Mail article...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TVIO)
    Oxford computer science is probably a bit more mathematical. We also have a smaller intake in Cambridge which arguably means we can attract better students. Even though Oxford don't use AS ums to select for candidates we still have better A2-grades than at cambridge. Oxford computer scientists also have to sit the MAT which is the same maths exam the mathmos sit, and I think this year the average MAT score of a computer scientist was higher than that of a mathematician.

By computer scientist, I mean people who are doing joint-degrees in CS or CS, so those also doing maths and computer science or computer science and philosophy.

On top of that, the subjects are based on depth rather than breadth on Oxford's cs course.
    You guys do seem to do quite a bit more than us, but I think the exams we are set tend to be a bit harder- having looked at your past papers on your website.

I have no idea whether any of this translates into higher starting salaries lol. There are probably anomalies who have set-up their own companies and are really raking it in who skew the figures. I know last year at my college someone worth 20 million who had built their own app got admitted.

ReputationRep:
    They're commenting on a Daily Mail article...?
    I have the DM blocked because it is too tempting. lol. To be fair, one of the tutors commenting was a foreigner, so he may not know that DM is the gutter-press.In general, I think they are justproud of their students and the department.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I have the DM blocked because it is too tempting. lol. To be fair, one of the tutors commenting was a foreigner, so he may not know that DM is the gutter-press.In general, I think they are justproud of their students and the department.
    Fair enough, it does look like a really great department. I was considering Computer Science for a while but then I bought a book that the university recommended and I immediately realised that I'd be absolutely dreadful.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, it does look like a really great department. I was considering Computer Science for a while but then I bought a book that the university recommended and I immediately realised that I'd be absolutely dreadful.
    It might just have been a bad text-book . Our exams are really fun- learnign for them usually less so Earth Sciences sounds cool though...sort of like geophysics. I imagine you'll be using computers/computation on your degree. Umm, but yeah if you do decide to change it's never too late
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    It might just have been a bad text-book . Our exams are really fun- learnign for them usually less so Earth Sciences sounds cool though...sort of like geophysics. I imagine you'll be using computers/computation on your degree. Umm, but yeah if you do decide to change it's never too late
    No it was quite a popular book actually, "The New Turing Omnibus". It just bored me, to be honest, even if I was good at it I don't think I'd really want to do it any more because I just love science (real science) for the sake of science! I definitely will be doing a lot of computation in my degree but it's very much applied - more mechanics and physics I'd have thought than all of the very abstract and theoretical things you do in CompSci.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford computer science is probably a bit more mathematical. We also have a smaller intake in Cambridge which arguably means we can attract better students. Even though Oxford don't use AS ums to select for candidates we still have better A2-grades than at cambridge. Oxford computer scientists also have to sit the MAT which is the same maths exam the mathmos sit, and I think this year the average MAT score of a computer scientist was higher than the mathematician.

By computer scientist, I mean people who are doing joint-degrees in CS or CS, so those also doing maths and computer science or computer science and philosophy.

On top of that, the subjects are based on depth rather than breadth on Oxford's cs course.
    You guys do seem to do quite a bit more than us, but I think the exams we are set tend to be a bit harder- having looked at your past papers on your website.

I have no idea whether any of this translates into higher starting salaries lol. There are probably anomalies who have set-up their own companies and are really raking it in who skew the figures. I know last year at my college someone worth 20 million who had built their own app got admitted.
    I just really like the sound of Cambridge's CS with maths. Mostly CS, but half the first year is half of the pure maths tripos. Sounds perfect to me. Interesting that CompScis do better on the MAT than mathmos. Though CS is highly mathematical, it still seems a bit odd.

ReputationRep:
    No it was quite a popular book actually, "The New Turing Omnibus". It just bored me, to be honest, even if I was good at it I don't think I'd really want to do it any more because I just love science (real science) for the sake of science! I definitely will be doing a lot of computation in my degree but it's very much applied - more mechanics and physics I'd have thought than all of the very abstract and theoretical things you do in CompSci.
    Heyyy CS is a real science More interesting than your rocks anyway
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by TVIO)
    That's not meant to be an insult... it's just not a science. When do you use the scientific method in Computer Science? The dictionary definition of science is "the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the natural world through observation and experiment" and even with my limited knowledge of CompSci I fail to see how that applies to the subject...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TVIO)
    I just really like the sound of Cambridge's CS with maths. Mostly CS, but half the first year is half of the pure maths tripos. Sounds perfect to me. Interesting that CompScis do better on the MAT than mathmos. Though CS is highly mathematical, it still seems a bit odd.
    It reflects the competitiveness of Oxford CS.

But I think you have your heart set on Cambridge, so go for it . I may be going there for a masters next year in machine learning.

At Oxford there are slightly more people (maybe 2-5) doing cs and maths than there are doing computer science (ever so slightly more at the moment). Oxford's maths and CS course has an even split of maths and cs for the first year and then in the subsequent 2 you can either go 2:1 or 50:50 in either direction.

I would say if you can do well in the STEP exam then that's pretty impressive- so go for it. Certainly harder than Oxford's MAT test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TVIO)
    CS is not a science, it's more about logic and algorithms which is a subset of discrete maths, than anything else. Then it also has some useful programming modules on top.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 21, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.