Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why doesn't the NHS charge for missed GP appointments? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Weird- I was wondering this this morning!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittiara)
    Some people with mental health problems have trouble keeping appointments due to stress, anxiety, depression etc.
    What total *******s- if they have the ability to make the appointment and consume NHS resources they have the ability to attend!

(Original post by Kittiara)
    I'd personally much rather pay a bit more in tax to preserve the NHS than see the introduction of charges that would affect the poor and vulnerable.
    and you probably pay hardly any tax. How about lefties like yourself pay more tax and I pay less?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Good luck funding the entire health service via fines :rolleyes:

So? Can you not sense the OUTRAGE. PEOPLE MUST BE PUNISHED!!!!!!
    Who said anything about funding it through just fines? Might as well assume because parking fees go towards the hospitals in some locations the NHS is being funded by parking tickets. Its just providing an additional source of income that would also clamp down on a big area that costs the NHS each year.

ReputationRep:
    never hapopen, people will just go to A&E instead.

ReputationRep:
    Well we pay tax which gets used for the nhs so we are indeed paying for it in some way. :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    never hapopen, people will just go to A&E instead.
    Sadly people are that stupid. I can see people waiting 10 hours in a&e rather than risk a £10 fine.

ReputationRep:
    The cost of implementation plus the hassle in carrying it out, the potential break down of doctor-patient relationships, surely outweigh the benefits.
    Not worth it.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, the cost of paperwork would just outweigh the cost of fining a patient 5 pound.

A GP appointment alone is meant to cost about 18 pounds.

The cost of finding a patient and then fining them would have to be taken up the practice. You may end up with a negligible profit at the end of it.

ReputationRep:
    Seems like one of those things which would be poorly administered, end up costing loads and have undesirable side effects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    GPs get paid for certain types of work like health monitoring so getting patients into the surgery is a priorty. GPs also get paid for each patient on their books so they don't want patients going to other GP surgeries.

At the end of the day, DNAs give GPs and nurses a break and fining patients will lose money for GPs and most GPs are keen on money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    GPs get paid for certain types of work like health monitoring so getting patients into the surgery is a priorty. GPs also get paid for each patient on their books so they don't want patients going to other GP surgeries.

At the end of the day, DNAs give GPs and nurses a break and fining patients will lose money for GPs and most GPs are keen on money.
    Doctors and nurses already get breaks.

GPs have called for this in order to ensure patroness turn up.

I don't know where you've got the idea that wasting money saved money.

For each non attendance it is costing the taxpayer. I want value for money and I want the feckless in society penalised for costing me and other taxpayers money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InnerTemple)
    Seems like one of those things which would be poorly administered, end up costing loads and have undesirable side effects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why. Any costs are recouped from the fines.

Parking tickets for example don't cost the the payer anything. The running costs are incurred by those who are fined

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend who makes an appointment every time she's ill, for things you just shouldn't make appointments for. So by the time it comes around (usually the next week because our GPs are really overworked) she's better, doesn't go, but doesn't bother to cancel it. There are some people who this happens regularly with.

I don't see any fair way around it, though. Because what counts as a valid reason to miss an appointment? And how would they be checked? It just seems like another way to consume time that is already incredibly limited. But there are certain types of people who abuse the system ridiculously and need to stop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    I have a friend who makes an appointment every time she's ill, for things you just shouldn't make appointments for. So by the time it comes around (usually the next week because our GPs are really overworked) she's better, doesn't go, but doesn't bother to cancel it. There are some people who this happens regularly with.

I don't see any fair way around it, though. Because what counts as a valid reason to miss an appointment? And how would they be checked? It just seems like another way to consume time that is already incredibly limited. But there are certain types of people who abuse the system ridiculously and need to stop.
    A fare reason is simple. Did you phone to cancel it before. Yes = fair. No = fine.

Can I you demonstrate that you were unable to attend. Record of police detention/hospital admission etc. Yes = no fine. No = fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    Well she did. She's tried to make the assumption that everybody who misses an appointment is vunerable.
    You made the assumption they are all feckless.

ReputationRep:
    There's little to know reason for somebody failing to ohine through a cancellation other than being feckless.

I'm tired of apologists limping the feckless together with the vunerable.

ReputationRep:
    Doctors and nurses already get breaks.
    You would be surprised.

ReputationRep:

Absolutely no point trying to reason with them, they conveniently ignored one of my replies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Absolutely no point trying to reason with them, they conveniently ignored one of my replies.
    I know. But they make such annoying blatantly wrong or hypocritical statements that I feel compelled to challenge them.

They then just move the goalposts. Like now MS replied with "I'm tired of apologists limping the feckless together with the vulnerable." even though i said nothing of the sort. I just pointed out that he made the assumption that lumped all the vulnerable together with the feckless.

I probably do similar stuff defending my own beliefs but I do try to be as logical,objective and rational as possible when having an argument about something. It;s like they don't even try! :fuhrer:

ReputationRep:
    Why. Any costs are recouped from the fines.

Parking tickets for example don't cost the the payer anything. The running costs are incurred by those who are fined
    I don't turn up to my doctors appointment. You charge me a sum because of this.

I don't pay.

What are you going to do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.