Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I failed my degree - I now earn £77000 4 years later - don't lose hope watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellodave5)

My point really was that if you don't try during your degree, usually people aren't going to try all that hard in other areas of improvement (like learning a complex skill). Regardless of the underlying cause.
    That might be true for most people? Not sure what it wasn't true for me though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neverlosehope)
    That might be true for most people? Not sure what it wasn't true for me though.
    Aye. That is what I mean, you're a bit of an anomaly

ReputationRep:
    "It's funny when I look at other people from my Uni who actually got their degree. Most of them are still far more junior than me and earning a lot less than me."

Explain how that's funny, I'd really like to know. I'm sure you didn't mean 'literally' and I am very happy for you. But the chances of people failing and ending up like you are slim. This post reminds me of people who say things like 'don't worry you don't have to go to Uni look at Richard Branson and Alan Sugar...and you just think :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    What's the name of the company?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaseratiJay)
    "It's funny when I look at other people from my Uni who actually got their degree. Most of them are still far more junior than me and earning a lot less than me."

Explain how that's funny, I'd really like to know. I'm sure you didn't mean 'literally' and I am very happy for you. But the chances of people failing and ending up like you are slim. This post reminds me of people who say things like 'don't worry you don't have to go to Uni look at Richard Branson and Alan Sugar...and you just think :rolleyes:

Not trying to sounds like a **** but some people will always be successful no matter what you throw at them. I'd like to believe that I am one of those people, I would have made it with or without a degree. Same with people like Branson... but who knows? There's a lot of luck involved in everything. I do agree with you through, a few outliers do not mean you should follow what they did, unless you think you're an outlier yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Not trying to sounds like a **** but some people will always be successful no matter what you throw at them. I'd like to believe that I am one of those people, I would have made it with or without a degree. Same with people like Branson... but who knows? There's a lot of luck involved in everything.

You can't start of with 'not trying to sound like a ****' without actually sounding like one. But as I said before Congrats!

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

Don't lose hope and.... ask me anything...

(please excuse any typos, I typed this on a tablet).
    I don't think that read was a brag, well done! Brilliant, and it give encouragement to those who feel they might be failing (whatever failing is).

ReputationRep:
    Which university did you go to I'm curious?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hitler did not even have a Diploma of Higher Education & he ended up as the equivalent of a billionaire and master of most of Europe.

ReputationRep:
    This thread includes a fantastic and truly inspirational story. In this damn age, since you start school 'getting good grades' is drummed into you and you become brainwashed with it.

But this is a refreshing reminder that even in an age of qualifications and scraps of paper with letters on it (result pages), people who have a drive for success can still achieve it through hard work and determination.

Grades (usually) just mean that you answered a couple of questions right and completed a 10,000 word essay about the subject in question. But what grades can't do is give you experience and a superior drive to succeed.

Whoever the person who achieved this would be a fantastic role model, but it must still be remembered that working hard and getting grades do provide a good back-up plan...

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations, that's great news. Obviously, this can't be replicated according to everyone's circumstances, but experience and willingness to learn count for so much than some people recognise.

ReputationRep:
    A 30k job straight after failing your degree?? :eek: Where on earth did that come from? You very very lucky chap

ReputationRep:
    Not trying to sounds like a **** but some people will always be successful no matter what you throw at them. I'd like to believe that I am one of those people, I would have made it with or without a degree. Same with people like Branson... but who knows? There's a lot of luck involved in everything. I do agree with you through, a few outliers do not mean you should follow what they did, unless you think you're an outlier yourself.
    Never apologise for knowing you are good at something (inside, anyway - naturally, diplomacy can be useful ). There is such a culture of putting people down in this country - people get offended if you don't conform to their own limitations. You're not a ****. Nobody earns £77k by accident.

Obviously your story won't be true of everyone, or of every field. However, it does tell people who might have underachieved that their life is not over, and that with a little imagination and hard work they can take control.

ReputationRep:
    "I got lucky, everyone should do this!" /s

ReputationRep:

Well done
    How did you find your placement? and which company was it with? If you don't want to post it here can you pm me about it? I'm currently looking for a IT based placement but struggling

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonwinner)
    I hate stories like this. You're basically encouraging students to not work as hard as they can because it will all work out for them anyway. You are a VERY lucky person, you're not 'smart' (like you describe yourself) if you went to a bad uni and still failed all your uni work, you're simply lucky. 99% of people who were in your situation would have ended up with a terrible job.
    lol i agree. people love to attribute their success to hard work when luck usually plays the biggest part.

it is what it is though. make your money OP.

I never done well at school. In fact im intellectually inferior to a trout. However I work for a major retailer on nearly 70p per hour ABOVE minimum wage so you dont need to be Eisaac Einstein to do well.

ReputationRep:
    x
    Congratulations on what sounds like a pretty equal mix of hard work and luck.

It's a shame you couldnt/didnt apply that hard work whilst at university and effectively wasted the tax payer subsidiary for the years you attended.

Still; it does demonstrate that achieving a good grade isn't the single defining moment of your life. I think there's a fine line between trying to encourage young people to go out there and follow their dreams etc etc.. and being realistic that a heck of alot of people will never reach 30k. If you judge your life based upon salary I suspect most readers of this will be disappointed.

ReputationRep:
    Well done, man

Hopefully this inspires people in tough situations.

I hope though that people don't take this message to mean you shouldn't work hard at your degree or that people who go that route are wasting their time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diggy)
    Thanks, this has been refreshing and reassuring to read, we need more threads like this not the same old 'Would you sell your lung for a Cambridge degree? threads

I know people who have gone to top 10 unis and for some their lives have amounted to nothing, as you've shown application and drive surpass the value of a degree
    The problem with having more threads like these is that it gives a very unrealistic idea on what the average individual can really achieve, especially given the OP circumstances.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.