Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Green party will be included in TV debates, along with SNP and Plaid Cymru watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lionheart96)
    i'm happy that the greens get a fair representation, too bad the system itself doesn't allow for other parties to succeed.
    Which Green Party is being represented? They split along regional lines in 1990.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Observatory)
    And Sinn Fein?

sure why not
    the debates are stupid anyway so invite everyone

if we insist on debates then it should be between labour and conservative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by young_guns)
    Personally, I don't think any of the minor parties except UKIP should be included, but if we're going to make it a big ****ing messy free for all and the SNP and Plaid are to be included, so should the DUP.

There's no reason to include SNP and Plaid and not DUP except anti-Ulster prejudice
    Oh, I see. I agree with that logic, but I don't see why the SNP, Plaid or any other regional party should be on the national debates. In my opinion it should be Labour, Conservative, Lib Dem, UKIP and the Greens (like it or not, the Greens have a major following).

ReputationRep:
    Take that OFCOM!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Because there's not a insignificant chance of the DUP backing the Tories or the SNP backing Labour post election. I think people deserve to know what they stand for.

I don't actually agree with Plaid being there though (nor the Greens really) because neither looks like coming better than 4th even regionally but the Greens do need to be there strategically.
    Fair point. I actually think that contrary to splitting the left-vote, the Greens are actually mopping up people who previously failed to vote. It's just a hunch though of course. I do hope they gain some MPs so everybody realises what a joke they are.

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad that Plaid Cymru and the SNP are going to be included. The fact that they aren't UK-wide parties would not justify excluding them from the debates. Labour and the Lib-Dems don't even exist in Northern Ireland, so one could argue that they aren't "UK-wide" parties. Natalie Bennett is the leader of the Green Party of England and Wales, which is clearly not a "UK-wide" party, as both the Scottish Greens and NI Greens are separate parties. So, if we're really gonna follow that argument to its logical conclusion, then the only parties that would be invited would be the Conservatives, (they do exist as a minor party in NI), and UKIP.

Obviously, only inviting the Tories and Ukip would be absurd. Opposing the inclusion of Plaid Cymru and the SNP in the debates on the basis that they aren't UK-wide parties is just ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reluire)
    In which case there are still other parties that haven't been involved, i.e. Sinn Fein, DUP etc.

Debates with this many people will just become a mess. It's a struggle with just 4 or 5 panellists on Question Time, and I suspect these debates will be just as heated as those on QT.
    The DUP are incandescent with rage at this snub. They're as British as Finchley, Goddamit! (Not that a member of the DUP would ever commit such Blasphemy...). As for the Shinners, they don't even like to acknowledge the existence of Westminister. In any event they're far too busy trying to woo voters in the Republic of Ireland with fantastical promises of taking on the entire European establishment.

ReputationRep:
    And of course, it looks like the Conservatives are now throwing up other objections, because it was never primarily about the Greens

Even though Cameron’s demand for the inclusion of the Greens has now been accepted, the Conservatives refused to confirm on Friday that they would participate, with one Tory source saying that the proposed timing remained a key objection.
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...ebate-no-shows

The DUP and Sinn Fein have protested about their exclusion from the proposed debates, and the Tories, who privately fear that debates would be a vote loser, will be hoping ongoing objections could yet scupper them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felamaslen)
    Oh, I see. I agree with that logic, but I don't see why the SNP, Plaid or any other regional party should be on the national debates. In my opinion it should be Labour, Conservative, Lib Dem, UKIP and the Greens (like it or not, the Greens have a major following).
    I disagree that it would be characterised as "major". One MP, one local council and often about 3% of the vote. That is not major in my eyes. Particularly not when one compares it to UKIP's 24 MEPs and having come first in the European elections

ReputationRep:
    And with the Tories still refusing to confirm their participation, the Lib Dems have issued then a withering rebuke

A Lib Dem source said that the latest Tory stance was “preposterous” and that Cameron should “stop coming up with garbage justifications for being chicken”.
    and

49% {of voters} say he is “only arguing about the cast list because he’s running scared”
    and

The DUP and Sinn Fein have protested about their exclusion from the proposed debates, and the Tories, who privately fear that debates would be a vote loser, will be hoping ongoing objections could yet scupper them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Observatory)
    Clegg is both personable and intelligent.
    If this is what the Conservatives always wanted and this is so obviously to Cameron's advantage, why are they now stalling again?

Of course, when the Conservatives find other reasons not to participate you will change your opinion again but tell us it's what you thought all along

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by young_guns)
    I disagree that it would be characterised as "major". One MP, one local council and often about 3% of the vote. That is not major in my eyes. Particularly not when one compares it to UKIP's 24 MEPs and having come first in the European elections
    True, the Greens aren't nearly as strong as UKIP. But I predict their share of the vote will dramatically increase this time.

ReputationRep:
    I'd stick by the same policy I've advocated on here before - every party standing in at least 326 seats (i.e. a majority) should be allowed in the debates. Any parties that want to form joint lists or coalitions to help get them over this bar would be included in this.

ReputationRep:
    There will be more people taking part in the debate than watching it.

It's simple,

Miliband vs Cameron, sod the rest

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.