Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What Is A Good Salary For A 21 Year Old? watch

• View Poll Results: What Is A Good Annual Salary At 21?
    10-15k
    1.77%
    15-20k
    17.26%
    20-25k
    38.50%
    25-30k
    19.47%
    30-35k
    7.52%
    35-40k
    1.77%
    45-50k
    3.54%
    50-55k
    2.21%
    > 100k
    2.65%
    lol im not voting
    5.31%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fbrep2012)
    Either you guys are over-ambitious or I am too content. There aren't loads of jobs offering 30k for graduates fresh out of uni. I think anywhere between £20k - £27k is acceptable and realistic... as well as good.
    Was kind of thinking the same thing. I'm interning at £20k at the moment, but I'm not looking at much more than £23k immediately after uni even for an incredibly competitive tech position... Hell, the PhD offers are only just £28k! How anybody at 21 is going to be doing that I'm not too sure unless they know somebody.

ReputationRep:
    30k is a good salary at 21.

20k is a decent salary and anything below 20k is a pittance. You should be looking to job hop as soon as possible if you're 21 and under 20k.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fbrep2012)
    Either you guys are over-ambitious or I am too content. There aren't loads of jobs offering 30k for graduates fresh out of uni. I think anywhere between £20k - £27k is acceptable and realistic... as well as good.
    Sales based roles can get a guy straight out of uni on 30k first year and 100k in 5 years.

ReputationRep:
    Again as some people have posted it really does depend on what your degree is , and whether your working for a large or small company ect.. But I would say around £30,000 if you have a 2:1 or a first...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJKay)
    Was kind of thinking the same thing. I'm interning at £20k at the moment, but I'm not looking at much more than £23k immediately after uni even for an incredibly competitive tech position... Hell, the PhD offers are only just £28k! How anybody at 21 is going to be doing that I'm not too sure unless they know somebody.
    Pretty much any grad scheme starts on £28k, even the public sector after the cuts offers over £27k.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdul-Karim)
    What jobs offer that straight > uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarryDn)
    What jobs offer that straight > uni?
    Investment Banking

ReputationRep:
    Investment Banking
    Not as salary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Sales based roles can get a guy straight out of uni on 30k first year and 100k in 5 years.
    If you'll believe that then you're probably ripe for a career in sales. Sure, some may achieve those advertised numbers.. most won't even come close. Plus the stress, hours and travel involved lead to a high staff turnover within sales.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Not as salary.
    50k is the starting base salary for FO roles (confirmed), bonuses can take that up to over 65k.

ReputationRep:
    50k is the starting base salary for FO roles (confirmed), bonuses can take that up to over 65k.
    What does confirmed mean?

I thought even FO was more like £45k, then 50%+ bonus.

What would you say is a great salary for a 21 year old and where would you get that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    What does confirmed mean?

I thought even FO was more like £45k, then 50%+ bonus.

What would you say is a great salary for a 21 year old and where would you get that?
    £50k is a great salary, if you can break into those professions. Work your way up from there.

ReputationRep:
    £50k is a great salary, if you can break into those professions. Work your way up from there.
    So what would a good salary be? :P

Or is good the same as great to you :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    So what would a good salary be? :P

Or is good the same as great to you :P
    35k+ would be enough to live a fairly moderate lifestyle and have a certain level of financial independence in London.

ReputationRep:
    Which firms/graduate roles out of interest? And what kind of candidates would one be up against? :cookie:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    If you'll believe that then you're probably ripe for a career in sales. Sure, some may achieve those advertised numbers.. most won't even come close. Plus the stress, hours and travel involved lead to a high staff turnover within sales.
    Back at uni, I tried out for some sales door to door roles that advertised six figures for those who worked hard enough... people were paid on commission and I found out from a guy who was working there you'd be lucky to make 5k :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Which firms/graduate roles out of interest? And what kind of candidates would one be up against? :cookie:
    Front Office MM Boutiques/Bulge Brackets Investment Banks. The best in Europe: Oxbridge/LSE/Warwick/ICL/UCL and European Business Schools.

ReputationRep:
    Front Office MM Boutiques/Bulge Brackets Investment Banks. The best in Europe: Oxbridge/LSE/Warwick/ICL/UCL and European Business Schools.
    IDK much about investment banking, but wouldn't you be up against candidates with at least a few years of experience for those roles too (so unrealistic apart from First at Oxbridge type candidates) or are they only open to those fresh out of uni?

Thx for the rep if it was you btw, will + rep on recharge bro :yep:

ReputationRep:
    IDK much about investment banking, but wouldn't you be up against candidates with at least a few years of experience for those roles too (so unrealistic apart from First at Oxbridge type candidates) or are they only open to those fresh out of uni?

Thx for the rep if it was you btw, will + rep on recharge bro :yep:
    Not on the graduate programmes. Most people do have experience when going for those grad roles i.e intenrships etc.. so they're are generally some unspoke pre-requisites to entering these professions. It's not unrealistic at all, you have a good shot if you attend a target/semi-target, i.e I attend a semi-target university for the industry and have a spring internship offer at a BB investment bank and have already interned pre-uni during the summer at a 2nd tier Investment Bank.

Just about commitment, grind and dedication, for the most part whilst being inquisitive, showing inter-personal ability and developing a brand for yourself.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.